Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hillstart Assist

Nobbler

Hello all,quick question on hillstart assist, I have a 2007 xtr which according to spec has as standard,doesnt appear to operate,any help appreciated.

Hello all,quick question on hillstart assist, I have a 2007 xtr which according to spec has as standard,doesnt appear to operate,any help appreciated.

Handbrake must be off when you press brake pedal firmly until you hear confirmation beep and VSC light shows......you now have approx 3 secs. between foot off brake and normal accelerator/clutch operation......blooming good thing min.

and you do have to press hard...................

Kingo :thumbsup:

Try Senna Pods, guys......don't want youz hurting youselves.......

but don'tforget that once it is activated, you only need enough pressure to keep the brake lights on.

Does the T180 have this?

Yes.

Does the xt4?

Yes. The only model that doesn't is the XT3.

Excellent for caravans as you can effectively sit with your foot rested lightly on the footbrake and hold all 4 wheel brakes very firmly applied. Otherwise it is down to brute strength and even then only on 2 wheels. If you were on a slope with the van on grass or gravel, there is far less chance of it slipping with 4 wheels applied. Remember the golden rule though;

Handbrake OFF

Press brake hard until the VSC beeps once (if you keep firm pressure on the brake the pedal will creep down as often complained about after brake bleeding. This way you don't have to bust a gut pressing the pedal - just be patient!).

Once the system has latched, you only need enough pressure to keep the brake lights on (the same switch is operating the system). However, the brakes are held with the same pressure as the initial application - enough to hold the vehicle and a caravan on the side of a house! It is like an electronic one way valve.

If you take your foot off the brake, the car will still be held for a further 2 seconds then 2 bleeps will signal the release and the car will start to roll - try that a couple of times first.

To make a hill start - DON'T RUSH. Take your foot off the brake and bring the clutch up to biting point nice and steady - 2 seconds is actually plenty of time. If you get to the top of the clutch stroke, the system will unlatch early due to a signal from the top clutch pedal switch and you will get beautifully smooth hill starts with no effort. My mrs uses this all the time now instead of the hand brake and has become very accomplished. If you forget and touch the handrake, it will drop out instantly.

Automatics work just the same.

Practice makes perfect!

I use this quite a lot...

Use the foot brake to stop the car normally. once stopped depress the brake further and quite hard. the VSC light will come on and system will beep. You can then ease the pressure on the brake and it will hold the car.

Once released you have two seconds to move off before it releases. As you move off however the brakes will release automatically. Just don't pull off fast as the system is not designed for that.

As the others have said it only works with the handbrake off.

Many thanks for advice, it does indeed work very nicely when I give the brake pedal a bit more oomph!! I noticed from anchormans reply that clutch switch is mentioned, would this be the same switch that is required for cruise control to operate, I am considering retrofit of cc?

Yes. It is there on all but the XT3.

Many thanks for advice, it does indeed work very nicely when I give the brake pedal a bit more oomph!! I noticed from anchormans reply that clutch switch is mentioned, would this be the same switch that is required for cruise control to operate, I am considering retrofit of cc?

Yes I agree it's a great system, especially for us caravanners! The retro fit cruise control is just brilliant on your XT4, did mine last year, wonderful for towing down the motorways in France.

I can see a benefit for this - caravans, trailers and the like in certain situations - but I can't help but think that the system will be abused by lazy drivers and we will start to see yet more people who sit at junctions on their brakes and forgetting that they have a handbrake.

It is a pet hate of mine, especially at night and in bad weather when the high level brake lights dazzle the driver of the car behind.

It's on my XT3.

Keith

Yeah but didn't you fit the switch?

Are we on about the switch or the HAC??!!!

Well, since you mentioned switch, I'll give you one guess. Lol. Saved buying one when I fitted the cruise control. Before anyone asks, yes you can fit cruise to a XT3--pin 23 on ecu.

Keith

Well, I live and learn !!

I read about this in the hand-book but it goes on about not being in Park etc so I thought "Automatics only".

But after reading this thread (especially Anchorman's above) this afternoon I gave the brake pedal a good prod and wee-hee ... yellow skiddy lights and lots of beeps !!! And I've been driving our Rav nearly 3 yrs without knowing this !! Little things please little minds I know, but I felt like a kid with a new toy !!

What a great feature - and it works in Reverse !!

Thanks guys - what a helpful place this forum is !!