Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Experience Of Verso + Panoramic Roof = Roof Bars?

Beansy

Possibly a longshot this one, but here goes...

I recently bought a 2010 Verso with a panoramic roof (so no factory fit roof rails).

When paying the deposit(!) I thought "that's pretty cool" without really considering whether fitting roof bars later would be a problem. I spoke to the (franchised) Toyota dealer before completing the purchase and they assured me it would NOT be a problem, and gave me a quote for a set of Toyota bars (presumably of the Thule sort that clip above the doors, which I used on my last car for 5 years).

Also, the owners' manual says nothing at all about a panoramic roof in the context of the section on carrying a roof load (i.e. nothing saying don't do it), and I've contacted Thule who said their bars will fit a Verso with a panoramic roof. In fact, the Thule footpack is exactly the same as the one from my last car, so I've tried it, and it looks like it'll fit without touching the glass.

But I'm paranoid because some, like roofbox.co.uk, still say that there is "a risk". What I can't work out (they wouldn't elaborate further...) is whether the "risk" is (1) structural damage to the roof simply as a result of tortional stress caused by the bars over time (even if unladen), or (2) the obvious risk of something like a bike falling onto glass. I'm prepared to accept the second risk because if that happens with a product like Thule it's going to be "user error" (I speak from bitter experience...) and I'd stick to light loads anyway, but the first risk gives me more concern. But then if there was a problem along those lines, surely Toyota would be warning customers not to fit roof bars full stop?

Has anyone actually done this, and if so how has it gone? Incidentally roofbox.co.uk sell a Thule set for the new Prius, using the same footpack as for the Verso, and specifically say it IS safe for panoramic roof versions. I'd assume that the roof constructions aren't too dissimilar.

Beans

I have had a 2010 Verso T Spirit from new with the Thule aero bars, foot pack etc. Firstly I have used this arrangement without issue. Around a year ago there was a factory recall to check the firmest of the panoramic roof and again no issue so I hope to be pretty confident there has been no significant issues.

What I would say is following the Thule instructions leads to the two bars being quite closely placed. One around the rear of the glass whilst ideally I would have it a bit further back.

I am typically carrying boats and kayaks upto the maximum recommended weight.

The arrangement has served me well, you too I'm sure. What I will finally say is remember even with the glass the car must retain structural integrity for crash tests etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Interestingly the new 2013 Verso in Excel trim comes with standard fit Toyota roof rails. However you can't have the roof rails if you spec the panoramic roof option. Looks like it's one or the other from toyota themselves.

• 3 months later...

Hi,

Any other owners with experience of fitting roof bars to their verso with panoramic roof? Feedback would be much appreciated

Kallas

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links