Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rav 4.2 Manual Diesel - Transmission Problem - Dmf Gone?

Andrew Corser

I have an early 2002 Rav4 diesel manual 4wd. I have done about 110,000 miles in it, and it had about 50,000 on the clock when I got it.

Today the transmission seemed to give up the ghost: it will go into gear with the clutch pedal pushed in, and when you release the clutch, the vehicle just starts to move (forward or in reverse) and then it feels as though it's hit a something stopping it moving, and the engine races, not engaging.

Now, it is a long time ago, but the dual mass flywheel went when I had just got the car, and was covered by the three month dealer warranty - I wonder if that is what has gone? Any advice would be welcome!

Looking back at previous discussion about the dmf, I guess, at 161,000 miles, if it is the dmf that has gone, I will get an smf put on...suppose I should get the clutch done too - last done at around 110,000 miles.

Lovely cars, Rav4's, but can be expensive - though I have really got my money's-worth, haven't I? And I hope to carry on getting it!

Aye well it pains me to admit it but the single mass conversions seem most reliable on a RAV.

Hi Andrew,

Herebelow a post I made earlier...

2003 RAV4.2 D4D

Original DMF failed at around 50k miles. Replaced with "modified new-type" genuine Toyota replacement. This failed too after a further 20k miles. The DMF design, from whichever manufacturer, still seems to remain flawed, and is now regarded as a "consumable part"!

We fitted a Blueprint SMF kit (replacement standard one-piece flywheel, conventional sprung clutch plate, clutch cover + thrust bearing). Car drives really well, clutch control is perfect (which DMF never was - always difficult on very steep hill starts, or backing uphill), and no increase in vibration.

Our RAV is driven daily on rocky mountain and dirt tracks here in Spain, as well as normal tarmac and high-speed motorway runs, and through mud and river beds in winter.

No-one seems to have complained about the Blueprint 4-part kit (ADT-330206 for our vehicle), which is available worldwide (Google ADT-Blueprint).

This has been a good solution for several members. Any competent workshop will be able to fit it, if not DIY.

Hope useful.

Chris

Hi all, I had dmf failure on my 05 2.0 d4d last year, replaced by a now distant garage. All ok apart from the clutch bite, which is too near the bottom of the clutch pedal travel. The clutch dis engages properly, but its only about a centimetre before the bite starts which can make for jerky progress in traffic.

Can anyone tell me if adjustment of the clutch for bite is possible, and if so how to do it ?

Many thanks

does sound like the dmf as failed!

i replaced mine last year with a borg and beck smf kit, no problems apart from clutch pedal seems very light and was a pain in the backside to bleed

I replaced mine last year with a borg and beck smf kit, no problems apart from clutch pedal seems very light and was a pain in the backside to bleed.

Kevin,

Just for reference, do you have any details of the Borg + Beck SMF kit . . . part number, price, etc? This isn't one which I can remember having been mentioned before.

Although the clutch is "light" (which some folks would welcome!), does it work well?

Chris

All ok apart from the clutch bite, which is too near the bottom of the clutch pedal travel. The clutch dis engages properly, but its only about a centimetre before the bite starts which can make for jerky progress in traffic.
Can anyone tell me if adjustment of the clutch for bite is possible, and if so how to do it ?

Hi Alan,

This should be of help. I'm assuming that you had the failed DMF replaced with another Toyota DMF, with similar clutch characteristics. Whicheverway, the best place to start is to get the clutch pedal adjusted to original spec. (Don't forget to remove all carpets/mats before making any measurements!)

Chris

post-70734-0-93576400-1364461459_thumb.j

hi chris

yes clutch works fine,just looked back and it seems like it was about 18 months ago when the dmf failed,the parts kit cost £360

part no HKF1005,which included flywheel, complete clutch and flywheel and clutch cover bolts

kevin

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links