Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Random Mix Of Topics ....

Hoovie

Decided easier to do one post with all stuff then hunt for ones to add to :)

Drove an 03 plate RAV4 4D-4 around first thing this morning (had in in to do some work on it) and sorry to be negative about a RAV4, it was one of the worst drives I have ever had :( The clutch was very sharp and I stalled a few times. Same happened when I picked it up last Thursday.

Is this a sign of the DMF starting to fail? Or just me not getting to grips with the clutch? Mileage was dead on 60k.

After that, I took my own RAV4 into the dealer to get the sidesteps replaced :) Now got nice shiny and non-rusty steps that make the rest of the car look even dirtier (asked the dealer NOT to wash the car as prefer to not take the risk of swirls! )

This exchange really does reinforce why buying Toyota makes sense as I can't see many makers doing this kind of swap really.

Whilst the car was in for the steps, I had a HiLux double-cab courtesy car :) '62 plate with 3k on the clock. Think it was the base model (5 speed box, no steering wheel audio controls) and initially I didn't like it, but it did grow on me a bit more. The drive is nothing like as nice as the RAV4 (seemed a very awkward gear change) but wondering if the higher spec models are better and more car-like?

I have been thinking about a smallish cheap van (Kangoo type size), but also thinking a 4x4 would be good when collecting wheels and stuff - and the RAV4 is a bit small for that (only just got 4 19" BMW wheels in it at the weekend with rear seats down) - so now thinking "chop in the RAV4 and get a good spec HiLux" - run it on the business and save the private motoring cost and no need to get the Kangoo type van either.

Waffle over :)

(asked the dealer NOT to wash the car as prefer to not take the risk of swirls! )

Wise move Hoovie. I watched a car wash monkey throw a dry chamois leather on the ground and then jet wash it into the dirt to wet it this afternoon :eek::eek:

What about a covered trailer for collecting wheels?

Was thinking about a trailer also actually - not just for collecting but also maybe as the basis as a mobile gazebo/marquee - it can sometimes take longer to setup and then pull down a gazebo then it does to do the actual work under it, so thinking some solution here could be a good seller to mobile car repairers?

One benefit of a Kangoo type van is could use to drive to customer to collect car and just leave the van on the road by them - get it signed and a days of free advertising ;)

Decisions, decisions !

Was thinking about a trailer also actually - not just for collecting but also maybe as the basis as a mobile gazebo/marquee - it can sometimes take longer to setup and then pull down a gazebo then it does to do the actual work under it, so thinking some solution here could be a good seller to mobile car repairers?

One benefit of a Kangoo type van is could use to drive to customer to collect car and just leave the van on the road by them - get it signed and a days of free advertising ;)

Decisions, decisions !

Whichever ye can use as a legitimate business expense, Hoovie, and withoot ruining a perfectly guid Rav folded down to carry bloody manky wheels, min......you know it makes sense.

Used a camper van fitted with a wind out awning for working on cars, mostly engine work. All tools stayed dry and available working from side door. The high top gave plenty of room to open awning over car even when on ramps. The same type of awning can be fitted to any panel van.

John

Hoovie should now be posting up photos of his moaby workshop, John, for alloy refurbimication.....exactly what you have just described.

Depending on his standard of bribery, I have some here......

What prompted my comment was actually doing a few wee photos today in preparation for a promotion this coming weekend.

The best outdoor option - as you would agree, John, I think, from your own experience ....

TST_Awning_Out_1_zpsa2f5c317.jpg

This is perfect for Alloy Wheels as Kev says, and for the bumper corners, works well as long as any rain is fairly vertical.

And an option that is very good once set up - but the hassle of setting up is a right PITA (This marquee weighs a ton even though it is Aluminium framed!) and not even got the side curtains on it yet!

TST_Marquee_4_zps3299d08e.jpg

If this could be mounted on some kind of trailer and then 'wound out' bit like an awning, it would be brilliant!

Hoovie, I had the side and front panels which enabled me to keep the rain and wind off most times, years ago on the open air markets I remember seeing trailer mounted stalls that opened out, no idea who made them but for an idea of how they worked have a look at the Camplet trailer tent site these use the same principles.

John

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links