Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rav4 Virgin - Advice Sought !

steve_lj

Hi - am hoping soon to be owner of a Rav4. Was originally looking for an early 4.3 but after reading about issues with excesive engine oil consumption and numerous posts about new engines being fitted it kind of put me off a bit - pity as I liked the more modern look of the 4.3 vs the 4.2. There also seems to be a few more appearing for sale now - I guess due to new model. Anyway, back to the 4.2. Looking for a diesel - miles dont normally put me off as long as there is history. How is the motor in the diesel rated ? Is there something/anything in particular I should be looking for. Is there a "prefered" model in the range?

Hopefully this is the last leg of my research and I can take the plunge and get my motor.

Any advice or words of wisdom greatfully appreciated.

Steve

Steve,

Welcome t' club....do a wee search headed "DMF" or "Dual Mass Flywheels" which were a bit of a problem on 4.2 Diesel Ravs, and incurred an expensive fix. Even the fact that you find one that had the flywheel replaced does not preclude it happening again.

That is why some members hereon, such as the more knowledgable types like Tech01 (ah think....) replaced successfully with a single mass flywheel (SMF).

Depending on your annual mileage and willingness to accept rather duff mpg, the 4.2 Petrol Ravs carry a lot less niggles, and are utterly bombproof, but do not let me put ye off the diesels.....hunnerz out there causing no problems eversowhat.

Good Luck in yer quest mate,

Big Kev.

Welcome to the club, Steve.

I've had diesel & petrol 4.2's and agree with Big Kev: the vvti petrols are bombproof and when mated to the aoto box, they are a really nice drive (although the slushy doesn't do much for mpg). My 55-reg diesel Granite was a really nice car and gave no trouble although the D4D engine isn't as sweet as the vvti, IMHO.

All I can suggest re diesels is to go for the latest model you can (on the presumption that later cars might have had some production line fixes applied to the DMF issue), seek out a solid service history, ask pertinent questions about any DMF failure symptoms and take it for a good long test drive. Then go off, have a think and go back & drive it again before making your decision.

Although our two petrol 4.2's are both autos and don't therefore produce galactic mpg's, they are otherwise virtually cost-free, maintenance-wise, other than routine servicing & normal consumables. Swings & roundabouts.

Cheers Fellas - i'm aware of the DMF issues which seem to plague some diesel models. Had a Golf Tdi some time ago that had a failure !! Petrol not an option for me as I do more miles than would make it financially viable.

Is the potential flywheel issue the only major gripe with the 4.2 then ? Are there any tell tale signs to look for on a test drive ?

I'm guessing the later 4.3's also had the dreaded DPF fitted. Any issues reported on this bit of kit ? Also, regarding the heavy oil consumption problem on the 4.3 - does this manifest itself at a particular mileage or is it just random. My thinking was that if I sourced an early one that had done say 80-100k and it had not had any issues would it still be a possilbility ?

Out of interest - any ideas regarding cost of a SMF in the event of a failure of the DMF.

Thanks again for the advice !!

Going by memory, the SMF worked out aboot a turd....sorry....third of the DMF price. Regarding the oil burning issues of later Ravs with the 2AD engines, failures totally at random mileages, so no pattern evolved for avoidance.

The dreaded DPF as you call it only really manifested itself in vehicles which had/have IN THE MAIN the oil burning issues, and as such does not count as a stand alone problem except maybe for those who were using Supermarket Diesel.....PLEASE FOLKS CORRECT ME IF I AM MISLEADING STEVE......he is from Merseyside and I have never been burgled before........lol.

Steve min.....there are some absolutely stonking 4.2 diesels out there and on the 'bay....any second hand car is a gamble, que....???

Big Kev

Listen to a Glaswegian mock a Scouser about being burgled, what about being chinned then burgled!!!

The engine thing was addressed by a series of production changes. If I had to rank the risk by age I would say that 2006 models are most prone, 2007s had improved sealing and lower oil consumption. Many 2008s were low risk and 2009s as far as I know are trouble free. In late 2009 the engine was upgraded to the current 150 engine and is a gem. Nowthen. Going back to 2006 and right up to 2009 we have to consider the 180 engine (177 really) as the downside of being uprated in power was the matching hike in emmissions. This engine has the D-CAT system which when coupled with the oil consumption problem AND exacerbated by supermarket fuel as indicated by our not inconsiderable Scot, could make additional trouble for owners. Again the risk deminishes with time. These problems are due to the passage of oil to the upper cylinders and gummy supermarket weasel pee which can clog EGRs, DPFs (DNPR is the proper term as it is a fancy emmission cancelling device too) and cat's.

Would it stop me buying one? No as long as you do a bit of digging. You want to know if it uses oil or if it has had an engine change and don't be afraid to ask a Toyota dealer if they will give you the history. You have 7 years or 112k to get it sorted so 2006s are coming up soon.

There are risks with a 4.2 - DMFs and these losing power problems with either SCVs or turbo related (poor diesel probably instrumental again).

ahhhh Big Kev - only crime worse than burglary is a Scotsman wearing a kilt !!!! Would you be this man ??

Anyways, jibes aside - thanks for all the input. Its just about making an informed choice. I'm under no illusions that I will drop on a totally trouble free car, i'm just trying to make sure I have all the info to hand that may stop me buying an "obvious" lemon.

Re. the Toyota extended warranty - is it dependent on having FSH by dealers ?

The quest continues !

ps Kev - as you have never been burgled, just let me know when your going to be out and I can arrange it for you !!!

Steve

Listen to a Glaswegian mock a Scouser about being burgled, what about being chinned then burgled!!!

The engine thing was addressed by a series of production changes. If I had to rank the risk by age I would say that 2006 models are most prone, 2007s had improved sealing and lower oil consumption. Many 2008s were low risk and 2009s as far as I know are trouble free. In late 2009 the engine was upgraded to the current 150 engine and is a gem. Nowthen. Going back to 2006 and right up to 2009 we have to consider the 180 engine (177 really) as the downside of being uprated in power was the matching hike in emmissions. This engine has the D-CAT system which when coupled with the oil consumption problem AND exacerbated by supermarket fuel as indicated by our not inconsiderable Scot, could make additional trouble for owners. Again the risk deminishes with time. These problems are due to the passage of oil to the upper cylinders and gummy supermarket weasel pee which can clog EGRs, DPFs (DNPR is the proper term as it is a fancy emmission cancelling device too) and cat's.

Would it stop me buying one? No as long as you do a bit of digging. You want to know if it uses oil or if it has had an engine change and don't be afraid to ask a Toyota dealer if they will give you the history. You have 7 years or 112k to get it sorted so 2006s are coming up soon.

There are risks with a 4.2 - DMFs and these losing power problems with either SCVs or turbo related (poor diesel probably instrumental again).

Strangely enough, read none as far as I know as one as far as I know!!!

Amazing.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links