Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Touch & Go

As some of you are aware I think the navigation part of the touch and go to be poor, for example if I ask it to navigate to my home postcode it will leave me a mile away from my destination, the unit will accept full postcodes but only navigates to the first 5 digits, Change is underway shame it will be for the new models in a year or so http://corporate.tomtom.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=744983

Gus

Mine takes me right to the door!

• Like 1

Me tae, Gusterz.....has yours got a wee bug....?

• Like 1

Postcodes can be shared by a number of properties but will define the exact location of one of them only. Great fun in more rural locations where to position defined by the postcode can be some considerable distance from the address that is actually wanted ...

Postcodes can be shared by a number of properties but will define the exact location of one of them only. Great fun in more rural locations where to position defined by the postcode can be some considerable distance from the address that is actually wanted ...

That is very true.... My postcode is also used by a couple of houses in a different country! And even though I can see the houses from my window, to actually get there involves a drive of either 10 miles in one direction or 8 miles in the other to get to the nearest bridge :)

That is very true.... My postcode is also used by a couple of houses in a different country! And even though I can see the houses from my window, to actually get there involves a drive of either 10 miles in one direction or 8 miles in the other to get to the nearest bridge :)

Should stop folk visiting That England then.....? Clever device......

So does that mean every cloud does have a silver lining? :ermm: :P

Del

My postcode covers 4 houses all within 100 yards (I use yards cos I know Kev struggles with metric) if I use Tomtom it puts me on the drive, touch & go is a bit of a bu**er when you are trying to find a house, where someone has had a medical emergency, hence why I have Tomtom in the car as well, plus it is quicker to enter a postcode.

Gus

My postcode covers 4 houses all within 100 yards (I use yards cos I know Kev struggles with metric) if I use Tomtom it puts me on the drive, touch & go is a bit of a bu**er when you are trying to find a house, where someone has had a medical emergency, hence why I have Tomtom in the car as well, plus it is quicker to enter a postcode.

Gus

Hi Gus,

my Sony XNT-77BT head unit has the TomTom live traffic system built in. It is good at predicting delays and re-routing. The interface is much more intuitive than the original B9004 headunit. The best part about the the original unit was the way the display changed when you were on the motorway/autoroute ( with a list of junctions, services and "aers" displayed on the RHS of the screen ). Anyone know if the Touch-and-Go has still got this?

Hi Gus,

my Sony XNT-77BT head unit has the TomTom live traffic system built in. It is good at predicting delays and re-routing. The interface is much more intuitive than the original B9004 headunit. The best part about the the original unit was the way the display changed when you were on the motorway/autoroute ( with a list of junctions, services and "aers" displayed on the RHS of the screen ). Anyone know if the Touch-and-Go has still got this?

Hi Chris,

I have an XT5 too, did you get a suitable steering wheel adapter that still allows use of the full steering wheel controls including phone?

Chers Aaron

Hi Aaron,

no - searched everywhere for one. I think it was SHCM, probably our greatest expert on car electronics/electrics, who said the the Toyota bus system ( canbus? ) is not compatable with most other car manufacturers and that precludes us using the adaptors that are available to other people.

The LH set of buttons works fine but the RH set ( phone ) do not function. The bluetooth functionality on the Sony XNV is fine though.

Mine has the touch and go and it has the junction info when on the motorway. It also comes up almost full screen width at each Junction with the signs as they look in the gantry above. Really useful if on unfamiliar roads and not sure which lane to be in.

I've also not had any major problems with the postcode accuracy, although it did say the other day " your destination is ahead on the left" and it was on the right!

...but then it is a female voice!!!

Your postcode search is only as accurate as the area it covers. Take mine for example, the whole village has the same postcode and we're a mile down a farm track in the middle of it. What makes it worse is the postcode actually lands on most satnav screens half a mile away out of the village on the main road because thats where the first house with the code is located. We ALWAYS have to give verbal directions to delivery couriers, they can never find us :laughing:

Your postcode search is only as accurate as the area it covers. Take mine for example, the whole village has the same postcode and we're a mile down a farm track in the middle of it. What makes it worse is the postcode actually lands on most satnav screens half a mile away out of the village on the main road because thats where the first house with the code is located. We ALWAYS have to give verbal directions to delivery couriers, they can never find us :laughing:

Gordon min......did your postie star in Deliverance, and are you a strange looking wee guy that plays the banjo.....? LOL.

:laughing:

Na, its Angus we live in..... Says it all.... :cowboy:

I have done some serious checking this morning, the T & G I have is a 5 digit postcode so for example if I enter AB12 3CD it will take me to the centre of AB12 3, the later firmware versions will do all 7 digit, the local Mr T cannot assure me if that if I pay £107 for a upgrade of the maps etc if this will be resolved nor I guess are they overly bothered as they don't get the money as it has to be done online.

Gus

This may be totally non applicable to the T&G, but on my system - last one before thenT&G was introduced, I think I could enter a partial postcode but ... I found after many months a 2nd page where I could enter a full 7 digit postcode. Not got anything like that on yours not gone into by any chance!

You can upgrade the system yourself if you go online and register. Big Kev will tell you how to do it and he will be sorting mine out shortly.

Been there and done that £107 for the pleasure, just reluctant to spend that just in case it doesnt solve the issue, that pays for 2 years (8 updates) of map updates and 2 years of live traffic info from .

Gus

You can upgrade the system yourself if you go online and register. Big Kev will tell you how to do it and he will be sorting mine out shortly.

Looks like Gus has previous software right enough, so rightfully he is hacked off at having to pay. There are some freebie UPDATES to be found, but anything that uses the word UPGRADE has £ signs attached.

Have not had many occasions to use the Nav, but deffo takes full postal code and right to door. Even seems to know its rights from lefts, which my stand alone Garmin could never get right.

Big Kev.

Hi Aaron,

no - searched everywhere for one. I think it was SHCM, probably our greatest expert on car electronics/electrics, who said the the Toyota bus system ( canbus? ) is not compatable with most other car manufacturers and that precludes us using the adaptors that are available to other people.

The LH set of buttons works fine but the RH set ( phone ) do not function. The bluetooth functionality on the Sony XNV is fine though.

Not sure I said that. :) CAN bus is used by nearly every manufacturer for chassis and powertrain ECU comms related stuff

Toyota have a control bus for their audio stuff, which is called avclan. The physical layer is called iebus.

I believe I've seen two type of steering wheel control for Toyota.

The first type talks on the avclan.

The second, which is used in the RAV, is just a string of resistors (potential divider), which get shorted out when switches are pressed. So effectively it probably just inputs a different voltage to the head unit, depending on which switch is pressed.

I was just about to say that!

Webblers told me that TMC is free. I will start to worry about the maps when they open that new fangled motorway around Preston.

Hi Aaron,

Not sure I said that. :) CAN bus is used by nearly every manufacturer for chassis and powertrain ECU comms related stuff

Toyota have a control bus for their audio stuff, which is called avclan. The physical layer is called iebus.

I believe I've seen two type of steering wheel control for Toyota.

The first type talks on the avclan.

The second, which is used in the RAV, is just a string of resistors (potential divider), which get shorted out when switches are pressed. So effectively it probably just inputs a different voltage to the head unit, depending on which switch is pressed.

Apologies SHCM - my error. I struggle to remember all the correct terminology these days! As a matter of interest, does the ICE system in most cars have a separate control comms system to the chassis and powertrain? I guess it makes sense to separate those things that the driver has direct control over from those that are reliant on one another for a sensible input signal?