Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How To Remove Sump Pan

frankie406

Hi can anyone tell me how to remove sump on a 2003 avensis 1.8vvti (T25). im going to do a full service on it and going to run some engine flush but have been told to remove sump and give it a good clean as if left on it could have sludge in it and wreck the lift pump...?thanks

thats a bit drastic, who told you that and why are they expecting sludge? why do you think it needs a flush?

the only sump i have removed to clean the oil pickup strainer is the mazda 2.0td which is known for this due to a bad dpf clean system causing excess diesel to mix with oil and form a sludge over the mesh.

cant see a petrol doing this unless it has had very cheap mineral oil and not been changed in about 40k+ miles

Don't do it! If you want to do the flush then that's fine but removing the sump is seriously over servicing the car. Sludge build up is not a problem on modern engines using modern oils. Oil cleans as well as lubricating - it shifts all sorts of stuff from hard surfaces. Not so good on the sofa though.......

thanks for your replies....it has 120k on it and its using oil and wanted to flush out any crap in it but a guy here who rebuilds engines said to take it off incase any crap gets sucked into lift pump..tho he prob talkin about my diesel...its the petrol one im cleaning! thanks again guys!

• 2 years later...

Ohhhh the irony of my current problem!! Flushed my 1.8 without taking off the sump and guess what.... Strainer is blocked....

• Like 1