Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Replacing The Door Mirror

lhykjy

Hi

I have been unable to find a post about replacing a door mirror. I have just broken the mirror on my wife's car - I know stupid! I would like to replace it myself but unsure about taking off the door trim to connect the mirror. can anybody point me in the right direction for advice please?

Many thanks George and surfcitylocal. The posts are very helpful. I have now ordered a door mirror and will fit as soon as I can. I'll let you know how I get on.

Hi there

Have you broken the mirror housing or just the glass. I can give you info on both replacements

David

Hi David

It is the housing that is broken, including the mirror being snapped off at the fold mechanism. Strangely the actual mirror is intact!

Lindsay

• Like 1

Unlucky,

You can remove the whole mirror easily but you can't easily remove the wiring harness. To do that you have to remove the inner door panel.The panel is in one piece.To do this:

1, You have to prise off the silver/grey part of the pull handle containing the mid range speaker

2, Prise out the window switch cover ( if a newer model, remove the screw cover and screw first)

3, Un-plug the speaker wires

4, Pn-plug switch connector

5, prise out the "cup" under the door open lever

6, You should now see the screws holding the door panel to the door

7, remove the screws

8, Place the tips of your fingers between the cover and the bottom of the door on the lock side.until you can get a good purchase on the plastic. (not so easy if you have podgy fingers) grip it firmly and pull the panel off the door working your way alone the bottom towards the hinge. you have to be rather brutal as the clips are very good at their job.

9, Once the bottom is free,work your way up the sides. You will hear lots of loud banging as the clips give way. The panel then lifts off the rubber near the window. Take care to un-hook the door open lever from the panel.

10, Place the panel out of the way

11, Un - clip the triangle piece of plastic covering the bolts holding the mirror assembly to the car and un-clip the cable plugs.

12, un-bolt the mirror and remove

13 Piece of cake!!!

think the bolts are 10mm

14.Fit in reverse

You might help yourself by buying a trim profile tool to help you from Halfords if you have trouble prising the panel at the corner. they cost about £11.49

One other thing on re-fitting the panel,take a look at the door and see if there are any of the white clips still stuck in the door.If so remove them and fit them back on the panel.You cannot leave them in the door when re-assembling as they will not clip back in the door on their own as they fit the door by sliding them in ,not pushing them in.

David

I am assuming for buying the mirror intact. if replacing the glass only, be careful as it has 2 wires on the back of it for the heater. To replace it, tip the glass at the top,inwards so the bottom sticks out towards you, and using a wide blade screwdriver, prise the glass and from up from the bottom until it un-clups from the motor,then lift it off the frame its held onto and remove it after un-clipping the heater wires

David

shame your in Lanarkshire, I would do it for you. 10min job

David

• 3 weeks later...

I eventually got round to replacing the door mirror and although it took me longer than 10 minutes (about 30 all told) it was easy with the guidance given. Thanks everybody. I didn't even break or lose any clips etc.

Cheers

Lindsay

• 4 years later...
On 05/04/2013 at 3:48 PM, tarquin said:

Unlucky,

You can remove the whole mirror easily but you can't easily remove the wiring harness. To do that you have to remove the inner door panel.The panel is in one piece.To do this:

1, You have to prise off the silver/grey part of the pull handle containing the mid range speaker

2, Prise out the window switch cover ( if a newer model, remove the screw cover and screw first)

3, Un-plug the speaker wires

4, Pn-plug switch connector

5, prise out the "cup" under the door open lever

6, You should now see the screws holding the door panel to the door

7, remove the screws

8, Place the tips of your fingers between the cover and the bottom of the door on the lock side.until you can get a good purchase on the plastic. (not so easy if you have podgy fingers) grip it firmly and pull the panel off the door working your way alone the bottom towards the hinge. you have to be rather brutal as the clips are very good at their job.

9, Once the bottom is free,work your way up the sides. You will hear lots of loud banging as the clips give way. The panel then lifts off the rubber near the window. Take care to un-hook the door open lever from the panel.

10, Place the panel out of the way

11, Un - clip the triangle piece of plastic covering the bolts holding the mirror assembly to the car and un-clip the cable plugs.

12, un-bolt the mirror and remove

13 Piece of cake!!!

think the bolts are 10mm

14.Fit in reverse

You might help yourself by buying a trim profile tool to help you from Halfords if you have trouble prising the panel at the corner. they cost about £11.49

One other thing on re-fitting the panel,take a look at the door and see if there are any of the white clips still stuck in the door.If so remove them and fit them back on the panel.You cannot leave them in the door when re-assembling as they will not clip back in the door on their own as they fit the door by sliding them in ,not pushing them in.

David

Many thanks for your step-by-step. Managed do change the wing mirror which a raging cyclist coming down the wrong way on a one way street decided to kick off and then scarper. Took me a bit longer than the 10 or 30mins others have managed to do it in but well worth it!