Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Egr Blanking

the fox

For all you sceptics, The EGR valves job is to....

Let used exhaust gases go into the air intake this is to reduce oxygen and reduces combustion which in turn lowers the peak temp, Nox forms above 1800c. but by reducing the temp more soot/carbon is produced because less of the fuel is burnt, so if a EGR valve is blanked you have less soot/carbon going into your DPF it will last longer and run hotter a win/win situation you use less fuel because more of the fuel is being burnt, which means better overhaul running why would you want to let used exhaust gases go back into the intake/combustion sysyem more freash oxygen the better, Toyota I believe do not yet fit a NOX sensor to any diesel engine (yet) they rely on the oxygen sensor so I don't know why the warning lights etc would come into play, If I boot my Rav4 with no blanking plate I get black smoke, with the blanking plate no smoke, I want as much freash air going into my engine as possible, If you make the plate out of plastic it will melt I use a bit of ally with no melting problems and the Toyota diesel engines EGR valve is one of the easiest to blank,,, For years we had no EGR valves the NOX produced from a modern high compression Toyota engine is not going to stop global warming, but the increased soot/particles which is directly casued by reducing NOX is going to block your DPF sooner, I was a Fuel Injection Engineer working for CAV/GLOBE & SIMPSONS before working at Bae systems, trust me I'm a (diesel doctor)

Hi mate..some interesting info there.thanks.

I am thinking of doing this myself,but I'm a bit worried it will invalidate any toyota warranty,should you have any engine issues?

Am I right thinking your just over the hills from me in Darwen..I'm in Bury.

There's been a few coments re this modification recently. This type of modification is well known & has been going on for years in landrover circles as owners trying to improve the economy of the various 200tdi, 300tdi & td5 Diesel engines.

I think there's a problem with this now though, I've seen discussions on at least 1 landrover owners forum that the new mot regulations due in for this year may kill this tweak now, because mot test are supposed to now check the operation of egr valves if so fitted to a car's engine. Might be handy for everyone if anybody in the trade here can pitch in and confirm if this is true or not

Trust me......ah'm a cardboard box expert (retired....very early....).........ah wouldnae blank it off.

Big Kev

As its so easy to fit the blank on the Rav..you could always remove it before an MOT.

I'm more concerned as to any long term effects on the engine.

I've done a bit of research and its still unclear..so would be good to get a few more oc's informed opinions please.

Yep I'm just over the hill, but not when it comes to Motors, and you are correct massive land rover mod, The MOT will not be checking EGR valves, but they will now fail if warning lights are on, and if your EGR valve sticks believe me your Toyota will put plenty of lights on, 4x4,VSC etc.etc,The Blanking mod is very, very easy the Job the EGR valve does to reduce NOX is so very limited it's a joke, Manufacturers for years spent millions on research to get diesel enging to run leaner and meaner to produce more power run hotter etc and to try and get them to compete with petrol engines, the down side was at above 1800c NOX was being produced and the EGR valve cools the process down making soot/carbon due to unburnt fuel, so they fit a very expensive DPF which in the manufacturing of this component causes a lot more damage to the big wide world than the tiny amount of NOX produced, You can get your DPF to do a regeneration and chuck most of the soot/particles it as collocted into the atmosphere, Or repace this very expensive item causing more world wide gases, Blank your EGR valve and try it,,,, I was thinking of making some plates, but to busy, but I'm sure someone on here could do that???? I would like to say I know the fuel mpg indicator on the Rav is not very good but with the plate on it shows near 50mpg constantly, when it's not fitted I get 46mpg constantly, but don't take my word for it try it....

Yep I'm just over the hill, but not when it comes to Motors, and you are correct massive land rover mod, The MOT will not be checking EGR valves, but they will now fail if warning lights are on, and if your EGR valve sticks believe me your Toyota will put plenty of lights on, 4x4,VSC etc.etc,The Blanking mod is very, very easy the Job the EGR valve does to reduce NOX is so very limited it's a joke, Manufacturers for years spent millions on research to get diesel enging to run leaner and meaner to produce more power run hotter etc and to try and get them to compete with petrol engines, the down side was at above 1800c NOX was being produced and the EGR valve cools the process down making soot/carbon due to unburnt fuel, so they fit a very expensive DPF which in the manufacturing of this component causes a lot more damage to the big wide world than the tiny amount of NOX produced, You can get your DPF to do a regeneration and chuck most of the soot/particles it as collocted into the atmosphere, Or repace this very expensive item causing more world wide gases, Blank your EGR valve and try it,,,, I was thinking of making some plates, but to busy, but I'm sure someone on here could do that???? I would like to say I know the fuel mpg indicator on the Rav is not very good but with the plate on it shows near 50mpg constantly, when it's not fitted I get 46mpg constantly, but don't take my word for it try it....

James Dyson, the vacuum cleaner man, has a patent for a cyclonic separator for diesel engine particulates. It would ( AFAIK, no one has actually fitted one to a production car ) fit into the last section of the exhaust after the rear box and separate and store particles of soot. There is no "system" in the patent for removing the particles but it seems to my very basic brain that he could, without too much difficulty, come up with an industrial version of his vacuum cleaner that was installed at petrol stations and sucked out the particles while you filled up with diesel.

This might or might not be acceptable to governmental organisations who set the standards for car emissions as it requires some co-operation on the part of drivers, garage owners and motor manufacturers to ensure that the system operated effectively. From a personal point of view, and wearing my greenest wellies, burning less fuel has to be the best possible way forward and removing the EGR valve is a cost and complexity saving for motor manufacturers, i.e. they are using less materials to make a car, which is also greener. ( it could offset the cost of the spare wheel!!!!! )

Sorry to go on - but it does seem a reasonable way forward :g:

Well Mr Fox I would be willing to give your idea a go, so if you ever decide to make a spare blanking plate I would be interested.

Cheers

Jeff

I know of RAVs running with this mod and they actually run better than with the valve. I would have a blank made from shim steel or stainless if I were doing it. I'm hoping 150 engines don't cause any trouble as they have a hugely modified gate type valve instead of a poppet valve from the 136/177 engines. The newer engines are not burning much oil which should help but I wouldn't mind a peek inside at say 10k.

I know of RAVs running with this mod and they actually run better than with the valve. I would have a blank made from shim steel or stainless if I were doing it. I'm hoping 150 engines don't cause any trouble as they have a hugely modifide gate type valve instead of a poppet valve from the 136/177 engines. The newer engines are not burning much oil which should help but I wouldn't mind a peek inside at say 10k.

Good call Don,,, using Shim/Stainless, I must add I have used Aero grade ally, but I have made a few from stainless just abit more elbow grease needed, the plate is a very simple easy fit, shape, I have tried to do one for a friend with a VW what a JOB If Rav4 owners try it and they don't think it improves things then it can easy be removed,,,

I've decided to give this blanking off a go. Is stainless necessary, or would 2mm/3mm mild steel be ok?

Chrs

No steel is fine it will just go rusty where visible.

". . . it will just go rusty where visible."

Don, thanks for this subtle and important piece of information. As always, reliable for essential technical detail!

Will let you know how it works out.

Chris

The Vw scene has been doing this a lot to their tdi engines.... I was running it on my tdi golf anniversary as well. Didn't seem to do any harm, and you get better mpg and slight performance gains.

Looking to do this mod to the rav t180 because mine has shockingly poor mpg !! Even after a full service.

I'm just looking into what to blank exactly before I go ahead with it.... Any pics/advice would be great :-)

You blank it where the conveluted pipe meets the cylinder head.

Love the T180 side profile.

• Like 1

And it does'nt throw a fault code either.

Keith

If you do get an error code, does the VSC system and the 4WD system still work?

I'm thinking of trying this blanking myself, plenty of shim lying about at work.

Would the engine running hotter have any adverse effect on the cooling system?

On a run to Wales recently, the readout stated 44mpg max, i would like to see this increased.

Keith

I would give this a try.. So long as it doesent mess with the Dcat system and is easily reversible come MOT time its very sensible thing to do ?..................................

44mpg?? !Removed! hell, I'm lucky to get 31!!!!

Blanking plate, here I come

Has anybody got any long term results from blanking their EGR on a T180??..

44Mpg was with Mother in law in back, I had to think of her as Miss Daisy and be gentle with all controls.

School run and general tazzing around gets me around 37Mpg, this is the lower power 134bhp unit.

The Auris Sr180 that I used to run used to get 37Mpg and that was me driving like Vettel everywhere and i beleive that was same engine as Rav T180?(don't know for sure), still wasn't as much fun as a Corolla Tsport I had back in '03. I'm getting off topic, I'm going to make plate out of shim tomorrow and fit this week, i'll report back with any results. Any expert advice is always welcome on here as when i had egr fault Mr T wanted £400 and this site saved me from £400 worth of grief from the better half.

37mpg is good for the 180 (same engine I think),but the Rav T180 will obviously weigh a bit more,so 33mpg probably isnt bad,but thats driving like a granny though,and should therefore be better?
I'm going to make a few blanks next week and give it a try.

make sure your egr valve is clean , so long as it works properly the blank won't throw a fault. Tank to tank my 136bhp one does 53mpg average on my weekly 545 mls. quite frankly there's no need for any more power unless your lugging horse box's around.

Keith

37mpg is good for the 180 (same engine I think),but the Rav T180 will obviously weigh a bit more,so 33mpg probably isnt bad,but thats driving like a granny though,and should therefore be better?

I'm going to make a few blanks next week and give it a try.

Put me down for one of those blanks please mate.. Be happy to pay for one.....

Put me down for one of those blanks please mate.. Be happy to pay for one.....

Ditto for me too matey

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links