Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Alarm Help Please.

Uncle_P

I went out to my 03 4.2 this morning and the button on the key wouldn't unlock the doors or disable the alarm. The red light on the key fob lit, so I presumed the key works ok. I put the key in the door lock to open it manually and set the alarm off. Can't imagine this has made me popular with the neighbours! (5am)

I've taken wife's car to work, but wondered if you chaps had any idea what might of happened. Oddly when I unlocked the drivers door, none of the other doors unlocked. Maybe my Battery is goosed? But then how would the alarm still go off?

Any help gratefully received!

Hi Bill,

Same happened to me recently and a new Battery (CR1616) in the keyfob sorted that.

When you use the key to open the door it doesn't turn off the alarm and only unlocks that door. A tip I was given recently was to keep a spare Battery and a small philips screwdriver in the car.

See this post for more info...... http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/144208-turn-off-alarm-when-remote-keyfob-fails/

Hope that helps,

Lee

• Like 1

For the price of a tiny Battery, it's got to be worth a try! Thanks.

I tried the new fob Battery and it sadly hasn't worked.. Have just called green flag.

Don't want to see my Rav on the back of a tow truck, but it's looking increasingly likely.

The green flag guy came and went, so I thought I'd update you all. He worked out that the receiver aerial is somewhere close to the passenger wing mirror and after a lot of button pressing, the alarm was switched off. He reckoned the receiver unit and/or aerial is knackered. So now I've just locked it using the key (which doesn't turn on the alarm). Hopefully I can visit Lindops next week and get it replaced..

Any chance of an owners club discount mr kingo? A trip to Mr T is never cheap!

I'm fairly certain the antenna isn't there. I'm fairly certain their will be no separate antenna for the remote locking receiver and on a 4.2, the receiver I believe is near side rear wing/boot area.

If you can drive the vehicle, just try taking it somewhere else first. Just incase it's another 434MHz interference problem. It might save you some money.

• Like 1

You could also see if pressing and holding both buttons until the indicators flash resets the alarm. The antenna is usually in the rear quarter at the side of the boot.

Maybe try your spare remote key fob if you have one? You should have two remote and one grey valet key? Keep us posted.

Both the keys failed to disable the alarm.. I'll certainly try them in a different location to see if it's an interference issue..

Hi all,

just had a similar problem with my T180, although i think the Battery is nearly dead as just tried and the car opened?! is there a link on here how to change the Battery on the fob?

cheers,

gav

Well I drove to work and tried the keyfob.. And it worked fine from 20 yards away. It's all making me think that one of my neighbours must have a wireless house alarm or something similar that is overwhelming the fob transmitter. After a bit of a google, it seems to be quite a common issue.