Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Should I Replace Dpf?

Seons

Been advised by dealership that DPF needs to be replaced P2002 code. Old one not regenerating. Filter is clear at present....dealership reckons that there is something broken within the 'honeycomb' and this is causing the coding???

What would happen if ignored the advice and continued to drive my RAV4??? Am hoping the worst thing is dropping into limp mode again.

Advice needed guys!!!

Seons

Mmmm tough one.. What is the cost of the unit ? I'm sure they can be professionally cleaned ? How about a used one from say a written off car ??

Damn these ridiculous emissions contraptions !

Oh and in Toyota speak its a DNPR....

I have met so many new acronyms in the last few days it's a wonder i remembered it had to do with particulates, Talking £1000 for the part and 9 hours of labour....so.

They've cleaned it fine,,,that's not the problem - they reckon it's got a broken bit inside of it, They've offered me a pretty decent PX but there is nothing in the range I like and I can't afford a new RAV.

I don't want to lose the one I have. Other dealers have offered me a rubbish PX and I'm really going to be stretched to pay for anything else,

I could pay for the repairs to be done but am loath for them to get my money too soon,,,,, I'm still smarting! What I really need to know is whether I will do any real damage if I don't replace the DNPR immediately

Thanks Charlie

9 Hours labour ? The dealers can do a replacement engine in six as they are so well practised ! This involves not only the removal of the DPNR but one heck of a lot more !

Im not sure what the consequences of running it as is would be,, Don may advise Im not sure but if it will only go into limp mode with no other problems then run it as is which will at least allow you a little more time...

How long have you owned the car ? Is there any kind of warranty in place ?

I bought it in 2009 from a dealer in Edinburgh. Wasn't new though..... and no warranty left!

Will try to get them to do it for the 6 hours,,,, based on your advice! I bet they've got a little flow-chart that include rate per job!

Cheers Charlie

Mmm, limp mode but it won't be fun if it does it on the motorway or dual carriageway.

Remind me, does this thing use oil?

Dons question is very important Seons.... Many of the early Rav diesels have an almost inherent problem with their engines.. It seems to affect the T180 in particular as much studying of form has proved..

You really ought to seek the help of a knowledgeable dealer who will check your cars consumption and sort it out IF and I did put if in capitals for a reason your car falls into the category of problematic engines..

Of course this is by no means a certainty but we have seen many cars needing the engines changed.. I would urge you to act fast !! The clock is ticking but Toyota are exemplary at sorting these problems out..

If you wish you may PM your mobile number to me and I would bet Don would also be prepared to talk you through the procedure and advise as best we can.. We have helped quite a few members on this forum with getting the problems sorted..

What about removing the dpf and having an engine remap? I know this is a tough call but surely the £££ to fix justifies the need to remove which should cost £300-£400 (and then it'll be a flying machine)...

Not possible grasshopper .. The Denso ECU has never been cracked as it is so hugely complex. This is why it cannot be re mapped and we have to use a piggy back unit if we choose to look for more power or better economy fuel wise.

Plus the new MOT rules due out this year will mean z fail if any part if the emissions equipment has been removed or tampered with ..

Knew the limitations of removing and remapping... in that it invalidated MOT and you have to tell DVLA that it's been modified so dismissed that idea unfortunately! Would be an easy choice other than that!.

Dealer has checked the oil consumption and it's absolutely fine!! Which is good in one way but if it had been burning/ consuming oil I would have been able to use the Out Of Warranty clause that Charlie provided.....

So I'm down to 4 options 1. Do nothing and keep fingers crossed

2. Replace the DPNR and suck up the cost!

3 PX it at the dealer for a decent price but get a car I don't want

4 PX it at another dealer but get a ridiculous - below value offer....and get another car that I like but is nowhere near the same great spec as my RAV.....

Going to have to do some serious thinking.... and I think a real sit down talk with the dealer as to what else is likely to crop up if I keep it!

Seons

Remind me of the total mileage of your car ?

If its not burning oil then at least you can replace the DPNR with the confidence it should not go pear shaped again for a very long time...

The problem with the T180 is that once you have one most of the other Ravs fall short on spec... Its a tough cookie to swallow to buy a car with less equipment !

As for what might crop up well its simply not possible to say.. Exhausts have been a topic of late and can cost quite a bit....

But lets be realistic in so much as any car can and will have problems so parting with a high spec car and one you clearly like for another unknown quantity is just another gamble..

Only you can decide if you can or cant live with the T180...

I use my car only occasionally now and if Im honest I would love to change for a later SR but having just moved house funds simply wont stretch.. Would I buy a lesser car like say a Kuga or whatever ? Well no..... It would make no sense as this car has had just about everything done... Engine, Clutch, Exhaust, Brakes, and it now goes like a rocket and is if Im honest a car I kinda like again....

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.. We are always happy to help and advise as best we can..

CF.

There are a few things popping up now with older RAVs like batteries, starters, and as Charlie says exhausts. The engine problems are well documented but may become a problem any time soon as they will reach the limit of the warranty. The thing is, you can fix all these issues a lot cheaper than buying a new car. A 7 year old anything is not likely to come without a few skeletons in the cupboard - it is a risk with second hand cars. However, if you have just recently bought one along with these issues looming it is a different story and I can understand the frustration.

Thanks guys for all the input... made me feel much better ;)

I think I'm in a better position now to cope with my lovely if occasionally temperamental RAV. DPNS in the offing......

53,000 miles BTW Charlie.

Seons

I've just replaced the original exhaust on mine,and tbf 7yrs is a fairly long life for an exhaust,so cant complain.
I've just done my 1st longish trip,200mls+,and it drove like a dream,and never put a foot wrong.
I'll be keeping it for a good while,whatever gremlins it throws at me.
In its favour I would say that with mpg being so low if going over 2k rpm,and not really necessary to go over that anyway,there is a good chance that most T180's have had a fairly easy life,which should increase their longevity (I hope).
Oh and mines done 63k.

A member on the auris forum had P2002 with their 2.2 T180, again the dealer advised a new dpf was required. It turned out to be blocked tubing for the differential pressure sensor (dpf sensor). On the Auris, P2002 entails quite a lengthly diagnostic process of which initially the dealer did not do. It was only after our advice on this forum that the member approached the dealer again, got a full (and paid for) diagnostic (I can't remember how much) that the actual fault was found. Dealer quoted a lot of money to change the tubes due to labour, the member ended up taking the DIY route and presto problem was solved.

I also had the P2002 code, and again it was the dpf sensor tubes blocked. Covered under my toyota extended warranty.

A full P2002 error code diagnosis could result in various different faults - how did the dealer rule them out? As a starting point, how much did you pay for the diagnostic and how long did they take?