Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Oil Level !

rambler

Well folks.

If this copy & pasting thingy works....

I have a photo of the oil level on my dipstick.....i know big kev and others very kindly expressed concern about it being overfilled by a garage i used recently.

So here's a pic of the ' oil level ' .......hope this works,you can see the min & max dots clearly,this is with a cold engine,first thing in the morning.I last checked it Tuesday morning.

Oildipstick.jpg

Hi Jamie,

You need to be very careful and sceptical of a one-off dip of the oil, even with a cold engine that's been sitting overnight. The ONLY reading of oil on a dipstick that should be taken as fairly-gospel is an oil line that runs STRAIGHT ACROSS the dipstick (i.e. a measure from the actual horizontal surface of the oil).

The mark in your picture shows a distinct angular line, which is usually the result of the stick picking up stray oil on its way out of the dipstick tube.

Wipe the stick clean, and take more than one reading SLOWLY, until you get a horizontal. That will probably be correct.

Sorry if I'm stating the obvious.

Chris

Hi Jamie,

You need to be very careful and sceptical of a one-off dip of the oil, even with a cold engine that's been sitting overnight. The ONLY reading of oil on a dipstick that should be taken as fairly-gospel is an oil line that runs STRAIGHT ACROSS the dipstick (i.e. a measure from the actual horizontal surface of the oil).

The mark in your picture shows a distinct angular line, which is usually the result of the stick picking up stray oil on its way out of the dipstick tube.

Wipe the stick clean, and take more than one reading SLOWLY, until you get a horizontal. That will probably be correct.

Sorry is I'm stating the obvious.

Chris

Chris.....i really appreaciate your advice,seriously.

It stays about the same wether angular or straight across,i do understand re a clean reading though...and thank you.

The pic was just to show how much its overfilled past that max mark.

Thank you so much for all your input over the last few months :thumbsup:

Jamie

It's a wonder it has'nt damaged the engine with that amount of overfill.

Keith

If the oil was higher enough to be touched by crankshaft there would be problems but not damage,in my humble opinion.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links