Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hard To Start When Engine Is Warm.

Rav Mania

Has anyone got to the bottom of the hot start problem yet? I recently bought a mk2 d4d. Exact same trouble. Test drive it fine. Got it home. Wouldn’t start when hot. Just had new crank sensor fuel filter and oil done. No better. The turbo is leaking oil. But reluctant to fit a new one if I can’t sort the starting problem. I’m getting the starter tested hot/cold starts as this seems to have been suggested a lot. The next on list from the garage was an ecu which is in order. Then I’m at a loss. One suggestion was oil from turbo getting into the cylinders or injectors leaking inside massively. I don’t want to replace so many parts as a process of elimination and not fix the problem. It still woukdnt start with Brake cleaner sprayed into it which the technician found strange. Any info welcome. 
tia

• 4 months later...

Hi RAV4 D-4D where are the earth cables located and what did you use to clean please.

My 2005 Rav4 D-4D has same issues.

Kind Regards.

Hi

There are two cables that you need to clean.

The first is connected to the negative terminal on your Battery and runs from the connector on the negative connector to the body of the car. It's only about 30cm long (roughly from memory). I would suggest you unbolt it and use something like wet and dry sandpaper to clean it. Basically you want to get the terminals back to bare shiny metal; I also took the paint off the bodywork where the cable was connected so it had the best possible connection.

The second cable is a little trickier to access as it's under the air box. Removal of that isn't too hard but will require a socket set to undo the air box (3 bolts from memory) and a screwdriver to undo the air intake pipe; then you just pull it out. If you've never done anything like this don't be put if it's pretty straightforward. Under the box you will see another cable connecting the bodywork of the car to the engine. Again undo this cable and clean it up just like the last one. then put everything back.

I hope this helps but if you need more guidance just ask, it's genuinely a 30min job, but if it's your first time don't rush and you should be fine.