Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hi, I'm New...can I Ask For Some Advice Please...

WelshRav

Hi Guys,

New to the forum, have owned various Toyota's over the last 17 years and currently looking to buy a RAV4 (2006 upwards).

I have heard and read numerous reports that the head gasket can be an issue, especially on the T180's, which, I'm gutted about because that is my first choice.

So I have a few questions that I was hoping you could help me with:

1. The head gasket issue, is an issue an all model years of the T180?

2. Is there any tell tale signs to look for, or am I better off going for a different engine model??

Thanks in advance guys and hope to join you all in RAV4 ownership soon!!

Welcome to the club.

I can't remember the exact dates but I think the head gaskets were changed in production by late 2007. You can look if there signs of coolant leaks or discolouration of the coolant bottle but that does not give a guarantee it won't happen. You might well find one by now with the later engine already fitted.

I test drove a 2008 2.2d XT-R model today, low mileage with 36k on the clock, am I right in saying this engine would be safe from the head gasket issue?

Thanks again.

2008 should be safe. You do have a 7 year warranty from Toyota on the engine anyway, as long as it has been properly serviced. I have the same car on a 57 plate with no issues (and love it btw!!)

Dave

NB There are two other recent recalls (both insignificant) but you can check with Toyota if they've been done. One was window switch and one on the suspension. But they were both "just in case" jobs!

Ah great, thanks for that.

It has full service history, but I will check with Toyota that the recalls have been done, that's if the owner cant tell me that is!!

I'm hoping to get the deal sorted today and then hopefully, its mine!! :clap:

"We are pleased to confirm that your Toyota is not affected by any voluntary customer service campaigns or outstanding safety recalls and no further action is required." phew what a relief :drunk:

I test drove a 2008 2.2d XT-R model today, low mileage with 36k on the clock, am I right in saying this engine would be safe from the head gasket issue?

Thanks again.

Sadly no ...

Fellow forum Member Geordie reported his car a 2009 had to have a replacement just a week or so ago..

Let me be quite straight forward here.. I do NOT wish to get into another debate about the 2AD engine and its likelyhood (Or not as the case may be )... But it when out of the extended warranty just has to be considered a risk..

If you or any other person member or not are aware of the potential issues that may or may not occur and are happy to take on the risk then carry on... The T180 which does without doubt have the worst record is a fantastic car..

When its good it very very good. When its bad............................................................

09 reg but an 08 4-3 XTR, pleased to report mpg has improved, time will tell how things go, took out Mr. T's 24 month warranty just to be on the safe side, love the whole package but can and has caused a few sleepless night.

regards

B-A aka Geordie

p.s re-manufactured engine fitted.

Thanks again.

If you are asking specifically about the head gasket then put it this way; It has the same head gasket as the current remanufactured engines.

I'd be very interested in just why Battleaxe's engine was stripped in the first place rather than replaced - particularly if it was down to oil consumption. As it turns out, we still haven't had a confirmed 2009 failure and maybe this rebuild was down to flood damage or some other explainable event. BA, if you pm me your reg No I can probably get to the bottom of it.

If it helps, the engine number on my previous SR 180 was traced to manufacture date of May 2008, and I was assured the gasket had been amended on mine at build. It was first registered in March 2009, and used zero oil nor splattered watter.

Big Kev