Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Can A Dead Battery Cause These Odd Symptoms....?

mark_le_b

Hi all

had an issue today.

(2001 2.0 vvti)

When starting off car seemed to be on "kangaroo juice" not driving or changing gear (?) properly (automatic) and seemed to have a real lack of power. Revs were up and down to the point of nearly stalling. Turned round and took it home to swap to another car and left.

Tonight, tried to plug it into a cheap code reader and it failed to connect.

Tried to start it and it turned over a couple of times but didn't start - after that Battery died. Only cranked it a couple of times before it died, so not enough to drain it if the Battery was good.

Could any of the above symptoms be down to a dead/dying Battery? Would lack of juice stop it connecting to the code reader? (its always connected before).

I have read horror stories about bad ecu - but don't know what symptoms that would show.......any of the above? I was worried that was the reason the code reader wouldn't connect if the ecu was gone??

I have a jump pack to try tomorrow and a battery tester, so will try to start and test the battery tomorrow, bit in the meantime any thoughts/experiences/advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Mark.

Sounds hellya similar, maybe worserer, than other folks with ECU probs on their automatics, Mark. Are you still running with that teeny toaty wee Rav half size Battery.....?

Big Kev.

Sounds hellya similar, maybe worserer, than other folks with ECU probs on their automatics, Mark. Are you still running with that teeny toaty wee Rav half size battery.....?

Big Kev.

Hi Kev

ECU is my worst nightmare - so have all my digits crossed its nothing like that!

Yup, it seems to be tiny - 45ah - 330a cranking - is that a factor and do you think that should be my first port of call?

Cheers

Sounds hellya similar, maybe worserer, than other folks with ECU probs on their automatics, Mark. Are you still running with that teeny toaty wee Rav half size battery.....?

Big Kev.

Hi Kev

ECU is my worst nightmare - so have all my digits crossed its nothing like that!

Yup, it seems to be tiny - 45ah - 330a cranking - is that a factor and do you think that should be my first port of call?

Cheers

Dependent on Battery age, would change to a real size Battery regardless.....that takes one possible out of the equation. Why should ECU be "worst nightmare"? Plenty hereon have had them re-flashed or updated and with great results.

330a ranking seems lots to a petrol, but obviously decreases with age, and over this crap winter, some of your amps have evaporated........?

Techno Kev .

Big Kev.

Hi Kev

Cheers

Dependent on Battery age, would change to a real size Battery regardless.....that takes one possible out of the equation. Why should ECU be "worst nightmare"? Plenty hereon have had them re-flashed or updated and with great results.

330a ranking seems lots to a petrol, but obviously decreases with age, and over this crap winter, some of your amps have evaporated........?

Techno Kev .

Thanks Kev

Do you know if there is a preferred real size Battery?

My fear on the ECU was really the cost - but reading between the lines, it may not be as bad as I first feared if it can be updated.

I will try the battery first. If that doesn't work, what is the best way to test the ECU? Is it possible for me to remove myself and send off to somebody? (I am in Jersey, so it would involve sending away) - so if there are any suggestions to who does the work?

Cheers

<p>Have a wee search at very recent posts, Mark, where a fellow member found the correct torx type tool to remove the ECU.</p>
<p>We now need Crofter Del or Linky Davrav with the links to the ECU fixerator's name. apparently removal of said ECU remains a sore bum even with correct tool.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>As far as the Battery goes, and I am not qualified to say it is at fault, Halfrauds HB 072 fitted wife's car perfectly which had the wee Battery......it now starts just by talking nicely to it.....lol. Your local Mr.T. price should also be checked if you have one on the island.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Besta Luck,</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Big Kev....<strong>.edit</strong>......Mark....go page 2 "Auto Gearbox Issues".....knew I had seen it recently.</p>

I edited this posting and all this gobbledygook appeared....WTF? Message still legible, Mark.....?

Thanks Kev, Thanks Dav - that's the symptoms I have, will e-mail the ECU people later and sort out removing at the week-end

Appreciate the help

Mark.

<p>Have a wee search at very recent posts, Mark, where a fellow member found the correct torx type tool to remove the ECU.</p>

<p>We now need Crofter Del or Linky Davrav with the links to the ECU fixerator's name. apparently removal of said ECU remains a sore bum even with correct tool.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>As far as the battery goes, and I am not qualified to say it is at fault, Halfrauds HB 072 fitted wife's car perfectly which had the wee battery......it now starts just by talking nicely to it.....lol. Your local Mr.T. price should also be checked if you have one on the island.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Besta Luck,</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Big Kev....<strong>.edit</strong>......Mark....go page 2 "Auto Gearbox Issues".....knew I had seen it recently.</p>

I edited this posting and all this gobbledygook appeared....WTF? Message still legible, Mark.....?

Hi again

Managed to start the car today (using jump pack) - the revs were up and down with management light flickering - and it stalls after a few seconds each time I tried it. Obviously didn't attempt to drive it.

I am assuming that would still point towards ECU?

I've located it, have the part number and have had a read of the other threads for the people who can fix it (and the torx to take it out with) - but before I take it out just wanted another opinion on the above symptom.

Having read everything else, it certainly seems like the culprit - but on the plus side its not as expensive as I feared :-)