Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Radio/ Cigarette Lighter Not Working In My Toyota Corolla

TechnoZir

i have a toyota corolla 2002 VVT-I T2 1.4L

the radio isnt working it doesnt power on, what shall i do?

the lighter doesnt seem to be working, the lighter holder is loose too that comes straight out.

if i want to put in a newer radio whats the process of that? as i want one with AUX connector.

also i was wondering why my car drivers door doesnt lock and unlock with the actual key, by manually turning it. only works when you press the lock and unlock button.

however the key does unlock the boot.

also what does T2 mean?

any help would be great. thanks

Hi,

Would normally suggest you check the fuses for the radio as detailed in the cars Owners handbook but think it sounds as if you have just got the car ? try the 15A Dome or 15A Cig fuses

Also if the cig lighter is loose it might imply someone has already been pulling out the central console to get to the radio ?

You can upgrade your radio /cd player but only with the standard after market ones ,which means buying a lot of extra parts to complete the job and perhaps something left to a good fitter if diy electrics is not your thing ?

You can also buy adaptors to plug into to your existing radio to give you aux inputs.

If you search this forum on Radios or look in the Audio section you will find its a question covered many times.

T2 is the model variant of the corolla, T2 is the base model.

As for the drivers door, could be a faulty lock/ switch, though must confess have never used the key in the door other that to check it does actually work.

Think you need to find a good car electrician to sort out your problems.

Hi,

Would normally suggest you check the fuses for the radio as detailed in the cars Owners handbook but think it sounds as if you have just got the car ? try the 15A Dome or 15A Cig fuses

Also if the cig lighter is loose it might imply someone has already been pulling out the central console to get to the radio ?

You can upgrade your radio /cd player but only with the standard after market ones ,which means buying a lot of extra parts to complete the job and perhaps something left to a good fitter if diy electrics is not your thing ?

You can also buy adaptors to plug into to your existing radio to give you aux inputs.

If you search this forum on Radios or look in the Audio section you will find its a question covered many times.

T2 is the model variant of the corolla, T2 is the base model.

As for the drivers door, could be a faulty lock/ switch, though must confess have never used the key in the door other that to check it does actually work.

Think you need to find a good car electrician to sort out your problems.

Hi

Thanks for your time to reply to me. Yes I just got this car

today second hand (for £1200) :)

If I can find the right size radio I could do it myself as I’ve

done it my old car. But the problem will be finding the housing that goes

around the new radio and fits in the old space.

Can you explain the adaptors as I wouldn’t know where they

would plug in the existing radio?

That key thing is quite disappointing as it’s required in

case I lose the key :(

Hi,

That sounds a good price for a 2002 model, hope it runs well for you. :)

Not something I have tried but does the key unlock the passengers door ?

Even if the drivers door does not unlock with the key you can a least get in by the boot if its the hatch model ?

as it’s required in

Assume you mean if you loose the remote key you need to use the red non remote key ?

Check with the seller as the car should come with two identical remote keys and one red key - they are expensive to replace.

As I mentioned before it might be the door lock switch thats faulty, but really needs checking properly.

The car radio, again search the forum for similar posts and at sites like this which will explain all the fttings and adaptors needed depending on the model chosen.

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/

The Aux adaptor has been mentioned recently in this forum but its not something I have used or seen, again just use the Search option.

Hi,

That sounds a good price for a 2002 model, hope it runs well for you. :)

Not something I have tried but does the key unlock the passengers door ?

Even if the drivers door does not unlock with the key you can a least get in by the boot if its the hatch model ?

as it’s required in

Assume you mean if you loose the remote key you need to use the red non remote key ?

Check with the seller as the car should come with two identical remote keys and one red key - they are expensive to replace.

As I mentioned before it might be the door lock switch thats faulty, but really needs checking properly.

The car radio, again search the forum for similar posts and at sites like this which will explain all the fttings and adaptors needed depending on the model chosen.

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/

The Aux adaptor has been mentioned recently in this forum but its not something I have used or seen, again just use the Search option.

Hi

Thanks for that.

the passenger door doesnt actually have a key lock. dont know why.

yes i could get in through the boot, but i think the car needs to be looked at. i thought it might be a double lock thing as i read it in the manual. but that doesnt work for me.

and as for the radio. if the fix isnt small like fuse then, i think this is the right part/ housing i need to fit in an after market radio http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/con-ct24ty04-ct24ty04-facia-plate-for-toyota-corolla-2002andgt;.html but ill confirm with the manufacturer before buying.

or i could put up pics tomorrow to show you guys.

Hi,

Sorry about that, only had my rolla for 3 year, first time i realised they do not have a passenger door lock ! :oops:

Thought the double lock was only via the remote, though the Toyta manaul makes that whole lock/alarm system so difficult to understand.

Did try the driver door key, from vertical its about 30deg anticlock to unlock and 30deg clockwise to lock - nothing happen either way on yours ?

That sites Install Adapters page details all the rolla models, as well as the fascia you will need a harness adapter and steering wheel control adapter if your have those controls.

Virtually all todays after market radios are made to the same fitting standard so you are adapting the Toyota wiring to them not the other way around.

The single din fascias are said to be a decent fit, but the double din ones are apparnently a poor fit , see the various posts in this forum for pictures.

Would be worth checking your existing unit properly, its not that difficult to remove to check all the connectors at the back are in and that power is getting to it

A decent pair of front Speakers is a very worthwhile upgrade partic if they include separate dash mounted tweeters.

Hi,

Sorry about that, only had my rolla for 3 year, ........ if they include separate dash mounted tweeters.

Hi

Yeah the manual is confusing under that subject.

Yes I tried the key about 30deg clock and anti-clock wise –

no response

Thanks for the reminder on adapter, need to order that if I commit

to changing to new, still thinking about it, but the only reason I want a new

one is because the factory fitted one has no AUX connector.

I wouldn’t need steering adapter as I don’t have the

controls.

Also wanted to know:

How do I open up the controls and get to the radio? Is there

a step by step video or guide out there?

And do you know whats missing from that rectangle hole shown in the

image? Is it a control? Or is it just a piece of plastic like on the other

ones?

photo2yjm.jpg

Cheers

Hi,

Sure the removal of the front console to get at the radio is covered by pics somewhere in this or the Audio forum, you will just have to Search or buy a copy of the Haynes manual for the 2002 onwards model which does details its removal.

Not difficult but just a case of knowing how to remove the trim without damaging it.

Several adaptors around, again just search

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/con-ctvtyx002-ctvtyx002-aux-adapter-for-toyota-avensiscorolla.html

Does the internal door switch lock on the door armrest, lock and unlock the door ?

The missing piece is a coin holder on my model, may just be a blank on yours.

Hi,

Does the internal door switch lock on the door armrest, lock and unlock the door ?

Hi

yes it does.

i had a look at the fuses you mentioned they seem fine and not burnt out. do you think this a relay issue?

as the radio, clock and lighter are not working

Hi,

The lighter runs just from the 15A CIG fuse.

The clock runs from the CIG and DOME fuse.

The Radio seems to run mainly from the CIG and DOME as well.

According to the limited wiring diagrams in the Haynes manual there are no relays for these devices, so if the fuses are ok, then you would seem to have a faulty devices or perhaps more likely some broken/damages wiring /connectors ?

Everything on the doors seems to connect into the Door Integration Relay assembly, but given the internal door switch works I would suspect the actual lock switch or a breakage in the wiring around the door hinge area.

For both you really need to get down to the back of the units and check things out visually for damage and with a multimeter for voltage and continuity etc.

Hi,

The lighter runs just from the 15A CIG fuse.

The clock runs from the CIG and DOME fuse.

The Radio seems to run mainly from the CIG and DOME as well.

Hi

The problem was actually with fuse which I couldn’t find, above the glove box lol

I now have the radio and lighter working. But not the clock. Is it even a clock? Ive seen it on some cars by doing a google image search, but does my Toyota VVT-i T2 have

this clock? if it was a clock wouldnt it have buttons on there to change time?

Can’t even find the fuse for the “clock”

I have a clock on the radio any way, but just want the secondary clock working if one is meant to be present.

Also another issue is with this cigarette lighter holder, when I pull the lighter out the housing pulls up with it (doesn’t fully come out though) i've opened it up and had a look inside it but dont know what i could do??

Just attached a few images for you to see:

IMG_8976.jpg

This is what i'm talking about the lighter:

IMG_8975.jpg

when i pull it this happens:

IMG_8974.jpg

Thanks

also the aux adapter i have a feeling it wont fit my Toyota Corolla 2002 as it says 2004 onwards on that site and eBay

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/con-ctvtyx002-ctvtyx002-aux-adapter-for-toyota-avensiscorolla.html

same on eBay and it says 2004 models onwards

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=261137592929

Hi,

You just have to look up the right adpaters etc for your year / model, if you had decided on a radio model contact the Car Audio direct for the right fittings if they are not clearly listed on their site.

You will loose the mpg meter / display though tis not that accurate.

There are several other large online car audio sites to look at as well,

The cig lighter , looks like you will have to buy a new one, expect a after market one will fit the hole but might need the terminal wiring up.

Not sure what that lcd panel on your model is, if there are 2 or 3 switches on it then ist a clock, though it might be a int/ext temp gauge or something to do with the fans/ heating ??

A clock does run off the same CIG 15A line as the cig lighter.

You need a T2 owner to help you there as the books are useless.

Have a look at this manual, its not your exact model /year but might help with your door lock problem / diagnosis

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5285770/2004%20Toyota%20Corolla%20Service%20Manual.zip

• 1 year later...

Hi,

You just have to look up the right adpaters etc for your year / model, if you had decided on a radio model contact the Car Audio direct for the right fittings if they are not clearly listed on their site.

You will loose the mpg meter / display though tis not that accurate.

There are several other large online car audio sites to look at as well,

The ecigs , looks like you will have to buy a new one, expect a after market one will fit the hole but might need the terminal wiring up.

Not sure what that lcd panel on your model is, if there are 2 or 3 switches on it then ist a clock, though it might be a int/ext temp gauge or something to do with the fans/ heating ??

A clock does run off the same CIG 15A line as the cig lighter.

You need a T2 owner to help you there as the books are useless.

Have a look at this manual, its not your exact model /year but might help with your door lock problem / diagnosis

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5285770/2004%20Toyota%20Corolla%20Service%20Manual.zip

Hello I have been dealing with similar problem and really hope your shared solution will be able to solve it..

• 2 years later...

I too have the same problems where do I find the relevant dome fuses?