Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Yaris 1.33 Spark Plugs

Q.S.

Can anyone tell me if the spark plugs on a 1.33 Yaris (09 vintage) are a strange size? My usual 5/8 (16mm) clip on socket doesnt seem to want to fit, maybe it's just too thick in the wall and isnt going fully down? Just wanted to pop one out to see what has been fitted. Many thanks.

Can anyone tell me if the spark plugs on a 1.33 Yaris (09 vintage) are a strange size? My usual 5/8 (16mm) clip on socket doesnt seem to want to fit, maybe it's just too thick in the wall and isnt going fully down? Just wanted to pop one out to see what has been fitted. Many thanks.

They are 14mm.

Regards Geoff Peace.

Many thanks Geoff, had a feeling they might be smaller but hard to see them down the tubes. Will have to treat myself to a 14 mm plug socket.

• 2 weeks later...

I can confirm that they are 14mm having just whipped one out on mine! They are marked as Denso Iridium SC20HR11.

Strangely enough my local dealers say my car (a yaris 1.33 like yours) should have the spark plugs replaced at 40k instead of 60k and have thus recommended a full+ service instead of the full service. As my car has done nearer to 30k and returns nearly 60MPG does anyone think it is worth going for the full+ considering the main cost difference seems to be the spark plugs?

I can confirm that they are 14mm having just whipped one out on mine! They are marked as Denso iridium SC20HR11.

Strangely enough my local dealers say my car (a yaris 1.33 like yours) should have the spark plugs replaced at 40k instead of 60k and have thus recommended a full+ service instead of the full service. As my car has done nearer to 30k and returns nearly 60MPG does anyone think it is worth going for the full+ considering the main cost difference seems to be the spark plugs?

Recommended replacement is 60,000 miles which is a hell of a mileage for plugs. I would change them at 30,000 miles but not at main dealer prices! A set of Iridium plugs can be had for around £30 from a motor factor, I have heard over £100 from a dealer. As you say Denso SC20HR11 or NGK ILKAR7B11 for the 1.33 and SK16HR11 for the 1.0 litre engine. 26.5mm. reach, tightening torque is 15 - 20 Nm.

Regards Geoff Peace.

• 2 weeks later...

As a new member have found this info very useful.

Cheers

John

I meant to ask if there is a suitable socket for plug removal that anyone would recommend for the 1.33 engine.

John

I meant to ask if there is a suitable socket for plug removal that anyone would recommend for the 1.33 engine.

John

Yes! I use the one from Franklin Tools. It is 25.5 cm. long and that length is needed as the plugs are buried deep in the engine. Not cheap, but the correct tool with claws inside to capture the spark plug. Do no be tempted to buy a cheaper, shorter socket because you will need an extension bar which can become detached when pulling it off the plug leaving the socket on the plug with no way of retrieving it

Regards Geoff Peace.

Thanks Geoff.

John

Thanks Geoff.

John

Geoff, don't suppose you have a link for this.

John

I have heard over £100 from a dealer. As you say Denso SC20HR11

Good heavens they are not that much!!

£47 for a set of SC20HR11 and that is at retail, discounted from me ;)

Kingo :thumbsup:

Thanks Geoff.

John

John

In a word no. This is because of my limited computer skills, I have not yet learned how to post a link! Perhaps one day some kind person will tell me how it is done! However, I can download the catalogue and the item you want is on page 22. described as M10 14 x 250 spark plug spanner. Number TA264. Price £15.25

Regards Geoff Peace.

I have heard over £100 from a dealer. As you say Denso SC20HR11

Good heavens they are not that much!!

£47 for a set of SC20HR11 and that is at retail, discounted from me ;)

Kingo :thumbsup:

Slight mistake. Not the price for Yaris plugs. Just Iridium ones. A Mazda main dealer charged £108 for a set of Iridium plugs for an MX5 Mk3. This was later refunded after 'a few words' Sorry about the confusion. Same plugs from my local motor factor £35!

Regards Geoff Peace

The first set in my old Camry did 60k with no probs, and then the second set did the same. I would leave them alone until 60k they will be fine.

Thanks Geoff.

John

John

In a word no. This is because of my limited computer skills, I have not yet learned how to post a link! Perhaps one day some kind person will tell me how it is done! However, I can download the catalogue and the item you want is on page 22. described as M10 14 x 250 spark plug spanner. Number TA264. Price £15.25

Regards Geoff Peace.

That's kind of you Geoff. Yes that will be useful.

Regards - John Clarke