Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Front Suspension

rickyr

Hi all

How can i know if i need to change my front shock absorbent ? My 2008 Avensis T180 just doesn't feel right compared with my previous 2005 Corolla when i drive trough roundabouts and over some small road potholes

Any advice its much appreciated

Was a very easy job to do on my mk 1 avensis. 3 bolts at top 1 at bottom to remove. Then you'll need 2 maybe 3 spring compressors to fit to the spring then undo top nut. You'd be best off doing both sides at same time. Took me a couple of hours to do mine ;)

Was a very easy job to do on my mk 1 avensis. 3 bolts at top 1 at bottom to remove. Then you'll need 2 maybe 3 spring compressors to fit to the spring then undo top nut. You'd be best off doing both sides at same time. Took me a couple of hours to do mine ;)#

Thanks for this

How do you know when they need to be changed, apart from the time when you see them leaking ? Are there any other symptoms ?

I wouldn't know answer to that mate. I was just changing the springs on mine as advisory on mot said both were corroded so changed shocks at same time as new pair only £60 :)

The easy, but not too technical, test is to "bump down" on each corner. The suspension should settle within a one or two bounces. If it doesn't settle there's a fair chance your shockers are worn.

Remember your T180 has a whole lot more weight to it than your Corolla.

The easy, but not too technical, test is to "bump down" on each corner. The suspension should settle within a one or two bounces. If it doesn't settle there's a fair chance your shockers are worn.

Yesterday mr. T advised me to change my tires first as the quality of the ones i have could be the problem (and obviously they offered me some Continental premium tires as an option :driving: )

I wouldn't know answer to that mate. I was just changing the springs on mine as advisory on mot said both were corroded so changed shocks at same time as new pair only £60 :)

£60 for the pair ?

Yes & £30 for a pair of springs :) eBay :)

That's a nice deal :) What brand are they ?

Yesterday mr. T advised me to change my tires first as the quality of the ones i have could be the problem (and obviously they offered me some Continental premium tires as an option :driving: )

Silly question but i assume you've played about with tyre pressures and/or made sure they're correct? My new shape is supposed to be at about 40psi.

Silly question but i assume you've played about with tyre pressures and/or made sure they're correct? My new shape is supposed to be at about 40psi.

I did tried few combinations but i've stopped on 35psi as if i go up to 40psi i will fell like my car has no suspensions at all :). It's bad enough even with 35psi when i go over some small potholes :disgust: