Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Parking Sensors (Electromagnetic Vs Ultrasonic)

joevik

Hi,

I am actually looking to fit my car with parking sensors but i am not sure which way to go.

I've seen ultrasonic sensors which are commonly used and electromagnetic sensors .

the electromagnetic sensors do not require drilling of the bumper.

Has anyone tried those before.

Also, please advice on which one to get.

Thanks,

We've had the dealer fitted ultrasonic parking sensors on our last 4 cars, and for us these have worked well.

Couple of the electromagnetic systems (RAC and Parking Dynamics) have got mixed reviews on Amazon - average 3 stars.

Below is an extract from Which? magazine on the two different types of parking sensor:

"Ultrasonic parking sensors

Ultrasonic sensors bounce sound waves off obstacles, using the ‘echo’ time to indicate how far away they are. A speaker in the car bleeps – increasingly frantically – as they get closer.

Pros of ultrasonic parking sensors
•The cheapest form of parking aid – aftermarket systems cost as little as £30; car manufacturers charge £300-£700.
•Sensors detect objects even when the car is stationary.

Cons of ultrasonic parking sensors
•Ultrasonic sensors can miss smaller or narrow objects, and inclines can deflect the sound waves – a steep ramp, for example.
•They also only detect objects directly behind or in front of the car, and may not work if the sensors are dirty or out of alignment.
•Fitting usually requires drilling the bumper, but stick-on sensors are available (though unattractive).
•Ultrasonic parking sensors not be suitable for use with a tow bar.

Electromagnetic parking sensors

Electromagnetic parking sensors create an invisible electromagnetic field around the car’s bumper; any objects entering it trigger a warning sound. Currently used by Audi, Citroën and Fiat, among others.

Pros of electromagnetic parking sensors
•Suitable for use with tow bars, cycle racks, etc.
•Electromagnetic sensors are mounted inside the bumper, so there's no need for drilling.

Cons of electromagnetic parking sensors
•Electronic parking sensors are more expensive – prices start from £70 (aftermarket). The factory-fitted cost is about the same as ultrasonic sensors, however, at £300 plus.
•Electromagnetic sensors only detect objects once the car has started moving."

Awesome! Thanks for the info.

Which one would you personally recommend?

Would you advise to get those ultrasonic sensors from the dealer or those off ebay/amazon?

We've only got experience of the OE dealer fitted ones (Mazda, Hyundai and Toyota). The OE dealer fitted parking sensors don't have any LED display like some of the E-bay ones do - they just rely on the sound warning (which is sufficient). The one drawback with the LED display systems would be finding somewhere sensible around the dashboard area to install the display.

One of the systems on Amazon is supposed to fit the Corolla - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Universal-Parking-Sensor--Toyota-Corolla/dp/B006WYLXJ0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1367100644&sr=8-1&keywords=ultrasonic+parking+sensors+toyota+corolla - and, if you have your car's paint code, the company will paint the sensors to match for no extra charge provided you send them the paint code via Amazon in advance. I've looked at a few of their specific vehicle kits and the few that have been reviewed have between 3 and 5 stars.

There is another electromagnetic system on Amazon - http://www.amazon.co.uk/VEBA-NUMBER-REVERSE-PARKING-SENSOR/dp/B003JIE36M/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1367100468&sr=8-2&keywords=electromagnetic+parking+sensors - which seems to have better reviews (average 4 stars) than the RAC and Parking Dynamics systems. So this may be worth looking at as well.

As it are coming from the US you may be charged custom duty on it.

Can this be installed even if the car is still under warranty ?

• 1 year later...

According to my opinion electromagnetic sensors are better in use and it's easy to fix and retrieve information from these . A lot of different kinds of sensors are available in these days but some of these are perfect in use and give us positive results. !

• 2 years later...

ultrasonic parking sensor is enough for cars. The price is cheaper and works well. You can buy from aliexpess,  but it will take

a long time for shipping. At least 15-30 days. Maybe a high quality with lower price but faster shipping is a good choice from juneelec.

On 4/28/2013 at 11:47 AM, joevik said:

Can this be installed even if the car is still under warranty ?

You will have to cut into the existing reversing light ciruit wiring .

You could try asking your local dealer, though I doubt they would sanction any diy work  and  not worth anything  ( verbally) unless they stated it in writing ( in a word, unlikely)

I fitted these cheapo eBay ones about 5 years ago, still work ok and still look good.

Also used one of these bleeping reversing bulbs,not the loudest of noises, but seems to work enough to  warn anyone who is just behind you.

000546.jpg

000547.jpg

2011-01-17 010.JPG