Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Poor Yaris Hybrid Mpg?

wayneanddee

I knew that at the extreme end (70+ MPG) tiny deviations will affect it, but for it to be so far out seemed crazy.

Even if half the tank (16 L) was at 48 MPG and the other half was at 50 MPG, the average should be 49 MPG for the tank! That is what doesn't make sense. It means driving carefully/steady was actually worse than hammering along a motorway at 70 MPH (the vast majority of the second half of the tank was 50 MPH driving, even in 60 MPH limits).

Lol

Remember the days when we all drove petrol diesel cars and when someone asked u "what's the MPG?" U would give them a funny look? LOL

I am happy with my around the 50 mark (50+ on a good day, just under 40 on a bad day)...at times got 60+ and then there were low 40s...so happy stopped monitoring mine

As long as I retain my around 400miles per full tank - then I am happy :)

PS: Bear in mind too computer readout on fuel left in tank is also an estimate :)

I guess that the mpg computer on a hybrid is a bit like parliamentary democracy - a rubbish system, but less rubbish than all the other options! Sometimes you are driving like a nun, but as the engine is warming up or recharging the Battery as well, you're getting a mpg similar to a Range Rover. Then you lift off, and as you are not only moving forwards for free, with regen you are technically getting greater than infinite mpg.

I've now had my Yaris for the best part of two years, and still am happy with it. I have come to tolerate the interior - just switch to a 90s radio station and you'll feel right at home. And the exterior, with the Trend pack, I love because of the sheer glorious stupidity of having a body kit and blacked-out pillars with an eco supermini - It's a wonderful rejection of the viewpoint that to be respectable you have to lease a grey Audi Tdi. I've seen over 70mpg on careful long runs, but the most impressive is actually when the mpg is at it's worst. In awful London stop-start traffic I still get well over 30mpg, when I saw as low as 12mpg on my old Suzuki Swift 1.2.

One thing I do think Toyota might have scrimped on is the sophistication of the heating system though. I do vaguely remember something about the original Prius having a peltier heating/cooling element that meant that the HVAC could be run purely on electric. This winter has been very warm so far, but last year I did see big drops in mpg purely on having the engine run to keep the cabin warm.

I've found on all 6 Prius I've had that on an average tankful the computed mpg is about 7-8% optimistic, assuming the pumps and odometer are accurate (which the latter probably isn't).

I tend to reset the B trip recorder when I fill up and log the numbers in a database.

The last time I filled up it was nearly empty - uplifted 32 L of fuel according to the pump, and as far as I can tell, the tank really holds 35 L, including reserves.

That would imply that I had about 25 miles range left, which would have taken the total milage to 370 miles on a single tank.

@orangezorki: when you were getting around 70 MPG, what sort of speed were you typically doing? If I can believe the fuel meter, at 50 MPH on a level road, I'm getting approx. 65+ MPG, but the tank MPG wasn't anywhere close to that (I was expecting at least 50 MPG tank average). :\

The most I have ever got into my Yaris tank is 31 litres at which point the trip computer was indicating I had 0 miles worth of petrol left.

The trip computer does not report mpg in logical manner. It gives a minute-by-minute reading which means you cannot take a sensible average. If you drive 50 metres in five minutes on the electric motor then the trip computer will show 5 minutes at 100 mpg. If you then drive 5 miles in 5 minutes whilst the trip computer reports 40 mpg then it looks like you have averaged 70 mpg over 10 minutes whereas in reality you have averaged only very very slightly more than 40 mpg over that 10 minutes. The sensible way to report mpg would be for equal intervals of distance rather than equal intervals of time. A reading ever half mile or perhaps every kilometre would be much better than a reading every minute.

Hmm... I'm looking at the dash MPG computer, not the version integrated into the center display (though I would have thought they were the same source?)

The dash instantaneous MPG updates every 10 secs or so, whilst the average seems to update every 30 sec or so (I'm guessing, but the average would surely be the average of the instant over the last time?)

e.g. If the instant MPG ipdates every 10 sec, and the average every 30 sec, then it would take the average of the 3 instant records? The instant itself appears to be an average, to eliminate large and meaningless flutuations.

I think you'll find the dash AVG MPG is calculated since it was last reset (by holding the button in the speedo in for several seconds while the AVG MPG is displayed [steering wheel Trip button on Prius]).

I can't recall if current cars do this, but some models also used to reset automatically when it sensed more than a gallon or so of fuel being added to the tank.

On your second point, it didn't seem to, but then the FQI takes a few minutes to sense the new level sometimes.

To your first point, correct. In addition to the dash MPG, it is linked to the center display for trip records (resetting the dash MPG resets the trip record and adds a record to the list since the last full reset; a complete reset of everything is only possible through the center display).

I have not reset the average MPG for this tank, and with 325 miles since the last full tank, it is showing 47.6 MPG average and 25 miles range remaining. I have also noticed it is less able to run in EV mode (when warm). I would be surprised however if that affected cruise speeds of 50-70 MPH, as some amount of power from the ICE is required.

I am from Denmark and is a bit confused about the mpg unit

What is 1 mpg in km/l ?

You need to multiply by 0.354 to convert miles per imperial gallon to kilometres per litre.

So far in these cold temps (+4 to +8 deg. C) I'm averaging about 45 MPG, but most of that is motorway driving at 70 MPH.

The computer MPG, if I do not reset it between fill-ups (and only reset it at fill-ups) is reading approximately 5% higher than pump computed MPG. This is consistent with an apparent 5% over-read on the speedometer.

• 2 weeks later...

A couple of tanks later, and mostly 70 MPH driving, average of 47 MPG.

Interestingly, cruise control at higher speeds (when incursions into the power band are unavoidable due to high speed and terrain) seems to be marginally more fuel efficient. I'm guessing because it can more carefully add power, and holds speed consistently vs. manual throttle.

Typical OAT was +2 to +4 C on the motorway journeys.

On 14/01/2016 at 8:15 PM, YarisHybrid2016 said:

So far in these cold temps (+4 to +8 deg. C) I'm averaging about 45 MPG, but most of that is motorway driving at 70 MPH.

The computer MPG, if I do not reset it between fill-ups (and only reset it at fill-ups) is reading approximately 5% higher than pump computed MPG. This is consistent with an apparent 5% over-read on the speedometer.

My first winter in my car

Was averaging 50+ in summer

Then dropped to top 40s in winter

As temp went sub-zero lowest I got was 44mpg

Then a sudden warm weekend and I was back to 48mpg

Now cold again, but down to 46mpg

I reside in a rural area and seldom require to do motorway driving. The roads are windy and hilly. On a normal day my wife takes the dogs in the car to the nearby woods and the distance would be around 3/4 of a mile to a mile depending on which woods she visits so two shorts journeys at between 1.5 to 2 miles daily. I doubt if the engine ever gets out of choke. About twice weekly my wife does a 10 mile (there and back) journey to get the household shopping yet what I find interesting is the consumption, as recorded on the car's meter, is similar to what you both are experiencing. What I probably need to do is the 100 mile test (if I can get the car away from the goodladt)! I have had the car for twenty months and I am happy with the consumption. The previous car was a Corsa that was touted to do around 55 mpg but only delivered 22 miles the same as the 5 series BMW I had previously. Anything above this type of consumption is a considerable saving. The car requires to be refuelled about once a month and the problem is trying to remember to refill the tank. The car is an automatic. The milage since purchase is around 7300. I am considering the possibility of selling the Yaris and getting another car, hopefully, with an equally good consumption. On this occasion I am viewing the personal contract hire which appears to be the cheapest way to run a car and on my budget economy rules. Nice to read about your own experiences.

OorWullie, the fuel economy you see is thanks to the fact it is a hybrid! My previous car was terrible around town, or on short journeys, but I rarely get less than 50 MPG with "normal" driving (not motorway).

With the warm weather we have had the last week or so (+15 C) computer average MPG is sat at 62 (no motorway driving). My car has about 5500 miles on it now.

• 2 months later...

Sorry to make this old post live again. 

I just filled up and working out my winter MPG from full tank to full tank gives me an average of 53.4 from Jan 1st to 16th Apr.

I zero'd the clock as usual and now have a new average of 60.7 after 66 miles. My AVG readout on the clock has been very reliable, so far it's only been +2 at worst.

My fuel gauge however has always reported a lower fuel quantity when it gets past half a tank, I was almost on empty and I got only 24 litres in to fill it up.

I can't be bothered to report it to Toyota as they will probably come up with some reason so as not to do anything. 

Think the reason the fuel gauge under-reads when it is showing empty is that it doesn't show the reserve that Toyota allow for

I,m glad I started this post  in 2013 when I bought my Yaris T spirit I  am still only achieving low 50s in the winter months and around 57 ish when the car is warm, I have now done about 30 000 miles since new and "Still never" shown a 60's over a full tank, My wife now drives a Lexus ct200 hybrid and she gets about 49 ish in the winter months and mid 50's when the weather is warm, I only think that the 1800 engine is a bit more forgiving than the 1500. Also she has shown a 60s when we went from Nwales to Devon, where on motorways the Yaris can be thirsty if you try to keep to 70s like everyone else.

As someone else quoted the tank doesn't show zero it only shows R for reserve and I have never been able to put in more than 32 litres on a tank down to were the zero should be even showing only 18 miles of fuel left on the trip meter ( I believe that the tank actually holds 36 litres)  so another 50 miles left?? but not had the nerve to try to find out!

For around the first 12 months of ownership my Yaris was averaging 52mpg but over this last winter the consumption has arisen significantly to the low 40s yet the usage has remained the same. I am considering selling it and getting another make. The consumption is still considerably better than the previous car, the Corsa, which showed 22mpg so the next car will not be another Vauxhall. The Yaris's suspension is noisey when getting in and out of the car and the interior sound-proofing needs attention. There is a problem when driving on unlit country roads when it is difficult to see the edge of the road when one find one's self in the middle or offside on turning left or right. On the positive side the car remains in excellent condition both internally and externally. In the 22 months of ownership and with almost 8,500 miles on the clock it has not required any repairs or replacements. An okay car but doubtful if it commands a better rating.

PS (In reply to Johalareewi) I have only recently increased the type pressures and found an interesting difference while driving. The 100 mile test would be necessary to find its true consumption. I will probably do this on the next occasion the tank is filled.

Over the last year, my wife's hybrid yaris has ranged from low 50s to high 50s.  This seems to be par for the course looking at the other yaris hybrids on fuelly. While not in the same league as the Prius, it is pretty good for an automatic yaris. The one thing I did notice when she got the hybrid yaris was the tyre pressures. In the yaris glovebox is the tyre pressure sticker and there are 2 values for tyre pressures. There is one for normal and one for ECO (I assume they mean the type of tyre rather than the hybrid ECO mode). The ECO PSi is a higher than the normal PSI but, from MrT, the lower PSI had been used even though the tyres were low rolling resistance (ECO) ones. It is well documented that running LRR tyres below the recommended pressure causes a major drop in mpg.

Now that the ambient temps are rising I'm back to where I was this time last year -

fa7abbccf4c63d11e9d38b8fff7c673d.jpg

If you drive these cars accordingly you can get pretty close to spec.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My car now has 8200 miles on it, and in the brief warm spell where it got to 16 C, the fuel economy was great! I drove 68 miles and averaged 70 MPG, driving between 50 and 60 MPH.

As it was a full tank I confirmed by topping off. I got just under a gallon in (4.4 L). Can't wait for summer!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

My mother has just bought a used 2013 t spirit and i'm just curious to see how the yaris mpg compares to my 2010 auris t spirit.The first thing i have noticed is the range estimate, the yaris like other owners have stated is showing 200 miles. My auris shows about 450.

It is still early days yet and the yaris has the touch and go, while the auris hasn't. So how do the figures compare to the 2 different cars?

Maybe I need to use Torque and get the raw data and compare the same trip.

The acid test will be from the M61 slip road to the market street car park in Manchester, it is about 5 and a half miles and i can do most of it on electric once the car has reached the speed limit, plus making the most of regen .

I will update my findings as soon as i have some data to compare.

Yaris has a smaller tank?