Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rear Wheel Bearing

springfieldjim

Bought my second toyota, a 58 reg yaris sr surprise surprise wheel bearing shot, just like rav4 before .does anybody know the torque setting for rear wheel bearing hub thanks

if your car is less than 5years/100k old there is a warranty extension for faulty rear wheel bearings, go to your local dealer as modified hubs and brake backing plates are required to prevent the fault happening again

• Like 1

spoke to toyota and they said my car has a 3 year warranty and no extension for wheel bearings was mentioned

Tell your dealer to look at Technical service bulletin CP-0012T-0311 and then submit a prior authorisation to Toyota warranty

• Like 2

toyota want £150 labor and £250 for part.£39.99 part on eBay and told takes 1 hour to fit toyota rip off

What has your dealer said about the warranty cover? if they are avoiding it then contact customer relations with a complaint.

spoke to toyota customer relations they are the most unhelpful people ever, ended sayingto me , if the person giving you this info online thinks its true take your car to them and have them fix it

the dealer checked the warranty and said it is not covered as it is not a common problem

The issue can affect cars built upto March 2011 so covers car built before then for upto 5 years /100k, ask the dealer to submit the prior approval to the Toyota warranty department and ask to see the response from Toyota.

spoke to my toyota dealer today, same thing as before gave him the code he looked it up and said ,yes bearing re-design but only 3 year warranty.Told him to check with the warranty people and send me the info.one hour later a phone call saying there is a 5 year extended warranty on wheel bearings but the technical service bulletin only says 3.He has now submitted a prior authorisation to toyota warranty and should hear back within 3 days.I would just like to thank the forum member for all his help

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you very much for this post. I also have a shot rear wheel bearing on a 2008 SR with 43000 miles. I have contacted my dealer and they didnt have any knowledge of the issue but thanks to this I was able to give them a reference. They researched and called me back to say they have lodged an Out of Warranty Claim and will revert back when they receive a response from Toyota. I am hoping they get a favourable response. My 5 years is up 29 May!

Hi

I have a 2008 Toyota yaris sr and my car failed it's MOT because both rear wheel bearings need replacing. I have contacted my local dealer who will submi a report. Has anyone managed to get this fixed under the extended warranty mentioned earlier.

Yes I have. Just had it approved and booked in this week to have both rear bearings replaced.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the information

Just had both rear bearings and brake backplate replaced by the dealers under the extended warranty

• 2 years later...

My osr bearing had gone loud too. jacked it up and could hear it. no play on it tho. i had a garage change it for me £200 all (inc extra oil filter change)

car is 07 reg, done 30k. my prior avensis 16.se done 140k on its originals. not best pleased with this era now. recalls for go pedal fault. recall for windw switches, recall pending on airbags.........

• 1 month later...

Both the rear bearings on our 2009 (December) Yaris 1.33 were noisy. This car has only covered 34,000 miles. I changed them both today.

I am very glad that my new car is a Focus,as Toyota seem to be loosing the plot these days. Incidentally,my last company provided Focus Estate did 175,000 on the same gear box, engine, wheel bearing/ drive shafts etc. Things are not what they were with the old Corollas.

P.S If you are doing the job at home do not forget that the ABS connector is released by pressing a very small screw driver into the slot in the base of the connector. Do not use force to pull the plug out as this could be a very costly mistake. Also use a dab of thread lock on the bearing housing retaining bolts on reassembly.

Job time,about 1 hour per side 

got it done 200quid inc a oil change i wanted. but inow sold it. it was turning into a promlem. letters about dodgy airbags from 18 months ago but no fix, just leters, sticky throttle fixed under recall. stuck window switches, missed by service for recall. toyotas are not what they were...dont think i will be returning to the brand. returned to skoda again, car of the year 2016 as well lol. Gaydon this Sunday for the owners club too :-)

• Like 1

I have had the letter about the air bag as well, but nothing has happened since .I think the problem on warantee and  recall issues lies with Toyota Technical, who are in France. The garage has to make a case and define exactly what parts need changing before they can do the work,then they have to send the old parts back to Toyota. If the fix does not work  its the garages fault.

Why anyone would put a Technical service dept in France is beyond me, as the French are so bound up in procedures that its almost impossible to get anything done . What we Brits do not realise is that its all down to Napoleonic civil code, which was designed to control the citizens. In the UK  we still live under old Roman law, as modified by Act of Parliament. The French do actually think differently than we do,they are big on procedures but slow on action,

The airbag recall is part of the Takata airbag recalls which have affected numbers of manufacturers incl Audi, Toyota, Honda, BMW, Ford, GM, Chrysler, Mazda, Mercedes Benz, Miutsubishi, Nissan,  Dodge, Subaru, and VW.

Millions of vehicles globally have been subject to the recalls, and the responsibility for the recalls in terms of providing replacement parts lies with the airbag manufacturer, Takata - not the car manufacturer.

1 hour ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

The airbag recall is part of the Takata airbag recalls which have affected numbers of manufacturers incl Audi, Toyota, Honda, BMW, Ford, GM, Chrysler, Mazda, Mercedes Benz, Miutsubishi, Nissan,  Dodge, Subaru, and VW.

Sold my Nissan a couple of years ago because I didn't want some yoof dismantling the (rattle free) dash.

• 3 years later...

Hi!

Attached you find the torque setting for a drum brake rear hub, 52 Nm/38 ft dbf.
Also, I recommend the free car repair manual site: Toyota Yaris repair manual

Br
Karl-Erik

Toyota Yaris bakhub.png