Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Leaking Injector Seal

My first toyota

I have a 2004 2.0D4D avensis.

In November I had the glow plugs changed because of starting problems. I was quite impressed with how clean the engine rocker cover was.

Fast forward to March/April this year and I noticed my car was using alot more diesel than it used to. Its not due a service and Iv only done 3000 miles since the last service. Today I decided to take the engine cover off and check to see if any of the injectors were 'chuffing'. What I found was my entire rocker cover was coked up with diesel.

Rung my trusted mechanic who told me to bring the car round to his. He took the oil filler cap off whilst the engine was running and what we heard was 'chuff chuff' of the injector leaking diesel.

£60 is what hes quoted me for half a days job. Does that sound right? Or is there another way to check if the injector seals have worn away. I know its a pain with diesels as my old merc does it as well.

Thanks in advance.

• 2 weeks later...

Update.

Got my car back last week on friday but since then my mpg has gone down and got worse and worse everyday. Rung my mechanic again who has booked the car in for tuesday. He wants to take the rocker cover off again to have a look at whats happening.

Does anyone know what could be at fault? Why is it suddenly using soo much diesel?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

Hya did u manage to see what was up with the car as myn is doing the same but aswell at 2000rpm it chuggerig at one garage theybsaid it was the piston but then offers me another car if I part ex myn in I said no but looking to see if it is something elsh 

With the oil filler cap off would it not be normal to hear it chuffing as you describe as.can the mechanic not do a leak off test?

Car should not be making the chuffing noise whilst oil filler cap is off. Should be a nice smooth sound. My own mechanic advised me of this and that the seals do wear out. My 04 rav did exact same thing and was using oil not diesel. Whilst filler cap was off it made chuffing noise. Two injector seals were gone. Replaced by my mechanic, problem solved. No more noise - nor oil use. And quite a cheap fix. Hope that is helpful.

• Like 1