Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Egr Problem

Grumpy stumpy

Well my daughters IQ which was registered in october 2010 has the old pipe etc and not been modified, so i sent a letter to Toyota uk highlighting the fact that this was a safety issue waiting to happen and that some people have had theirs replaced under the warranty. Their response was they would not do anything unless the problem arose and then take it to your local Toyota dealer for inspection. As i said to them my daughter is a student with not much funds having saved hard to buy this motor she dosent want a hefty bill once out of warranty, meant nothing to them so with two years left on the warranty hopefully this fault may occur before it runs out. They did say however this was a known fault but didn't effect every vehicle built before june 2010 only a few will develop it, have sent another letter off to them for one last try to see what happens.

Sounds to me like you went about this the wrong way?

Maybe you should have reported the car has the problem first then sent a letter, spoke to the dealer Etc. about getting it changed? Off course they aren't going to do work on a car that doesn't have a problem.

Check the warranty too as my 2010 car had a 3 year warranty, not 5 year.

Sounds like you're daughter has good taste though in buying an iQ. :)

Craig.

Hi, I had same problem whilst under 12 month approved vechile warranty and I sent a 16 page letter to dealer stating the symptoms etc, and that it was a known Toyota problem, so would like EGR modification replacement. My dealer got approval for EGR change and associated other parts within 24hrs. The car was booked in and has been performing much better since the replacement.

A "Part Extract" of the letter I sent to my dealer is below FYI:

-----------------------------------------------------------

The car has covered approximately 1,000 miles since the above purchase date and I am happy with the car with one
exception.

The Vehicle has on occasions (Intermittently) hesitated from pulling away a few times.

This did concern me from a safety perspective.

I joined the Toyota owner’s club forum and discovered that there is a very well documented problem with this particular

car related to the EGR valve and associated components.

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=136556&hl=%20egr%20%20problem&page=5

The Toyota’s owners club forum have quite extensively researched this safety issue to its satisfactory conclusion it is

also mentioned on a number of reputable internet posts about the Toyota IQ vehicle, this information has enabled me to visually check my vehicle’s EGR valve layout in my engine compartment in comparison with the new modified EGR valve that has been fitted to many Toyota IQ vehicle’s by Toyota in order to resolve this issue.

I can see that my vehicle has the old (problematic) valve and associated components fitted to it.

As the problem is intermittent and also a safety issue I am writing this letter to request that my vehicle be repaired

under the Approved Toyota Warranty that have in place.

I am somewhat disappointed that this known fault was not rectified in advance on me buying the vehicle, also disappointed

that there have a number of others Toyota owners on the owners club forum that have had the same problem and in some cases have not got a positive response from there Toyota dealer in the first instance.

However in spite of this my faith in Lindop Toyota and the Toyota Motor Company in general will be restored after the

repair has been quickly successfully and comprehensively resolved by you.

Please find attached to this letter copies of “some” of the information that has led me to this conclusion as stated

above.

I now look forward to you contacting me very soon to book the vehicle into your repair workshop to get the problem rectified.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Hope the above is of some help to you,

Positive Regards,

Bob.

• Like 1

Many thanks for your replys, she does have a 5 year warranty so will wait a little while and take it to my local dealer reporting a intermittent fault and quote the service bulletin and and info I have.

Thanks for the draft letter will help massively.

Regards

Phil

As someone else said I think you may be going about this the wrong way. I have a June 2010 IQ one of the first to have a 5 year warranty and I recently had it serviced. When I booked it in for the service at the dealer that I had bought it from 6 months earlier I mentioned that it had hesitated occasionally and gave them a copy of the service bulletin, they said they would look into it and when I picked it up they said they had ordered the parts and they would be in the following wednesday and when did I want to book it in for the work to be done. It was done the day after the parts arrived and they had it for the day as I think it is about a three hour job, I must admit I was quite suprised as I thought I may have a bit of a fight on my hands by what others had written in the past but it certainly wasn't the case for me.

Good luck in getting it done.

• Like 1

As someone else said I think you may be going about this the wrong way. I have a June 2010 IQ one of the first to have a 5 year warranty and I recently had it serviced. When I booked it in for the service at the dealer that I had bought it from 6 months earlier I mentioned that it had hesitated occasionally and gave them a copy of the service bulletin, they said they would look into it and when I picked it up they said they had ordered the parts and they would be in the following wednesday and when did I want to book it in for the work to be done. It was done the day after the parts arrived and they had it for the day as I think it is about a three hour job, I must admit I was quite suprised as I thought I may have a bit of a fight on my hands by what others had written in the past but it certainly wasn't the case for me.

Good luck in getting it done.

That's good to know, I will book it in for a service when it's due but my daughter bought it privately and not from the dealer I will take it to. Do you have a copy of the service bulletin you could send me please?

Phil

• 2 months later...

It is a disgrace that there hasn't been a recall on this! THIS IS A FIRST CLASS SAFETY ISSUE! A CAR THAT CAN STALL AT JUNCTIONS? Are you f!*cking kidding me Toyota? In 2013? What should happen? The first dead person who won't be able to tell why he/she crossed the junction at a slow speed before being run over by a speeding bus?

listen Toyota. You have this program called Kaizen. Which is your customer care program: make things better. Make this better NOW!

You have a recall for 10 millions of cars because some little button can fall off but you don't do any **** about this life dangerous safety issue? How does one spell class action?

This should be a sticky thread!

• Like 2

Absolutely agree.

'Corporate Responsibility',

and an irresponsible Corporation is what they are.

Some Senior Executives being jailed if their were accidents coming from their inaction would get their attention.

But accidents should not need to happen before they move their butts.

they only really get their act together when this are going Wrong in the USA and legal actions are taken.

Manual cars in Europe and the Safety Recalls do not get the same prompt actions from TOYOTA.

Some Emails off to VOSA in the UK to bring things to their attention would help.

Include Links to this and other Threads on this forum.

george

I had the same issue with my 2009 IQ - I wrote to Toyota and they said that they had not heard of this problem on an IQ!!

I then went to a Toyota dealer (I had purchased privately) and while I was discussing this at the desk one senior sales guy said "oh are you talking about a problem with the Prius?" No, I said it's the IQ.... His reply.."The IQ doesn't have and EGR valve" so as there was a brand new IQ just next to us I said take a look... he opened the bonnet and looked - then said "you learn something new everyday here...and walked off!

Still when I spoke about the "stalling" problem they straight away said that they would fix my car under warranty (I had 3 days left) so all ended well.

Just amazing that Mr T seems to bury head in sand with this one - why wait for a problem or worse a serious accident... the stalling can manifest itself without warning...as I experienced.

regards

jack

EGR valve replacement issue should be a mandatory recall item in my view.

I was the original person who discovered the Bulletin number.

Bob's letter is the definitive one, its first class

David

• Like 1

EGR valve replacement issue should be a mandatory recall item in my view.

I agree with you 100%.

• Like 1

Just amazing that Mr T seems to bury head in sand with this one - why wait for a problem or worse a serious accident... the stalling can manifest itself without warning...as I experienced.

regards

Jack

My posts about this are being deleted (imo for no reason). The only way for Toyota to do a recall is by people giving attention to this life threatening danger. If nobody mentions is Mr T will be laughing all the way to the bank in Tokyo. This is the only way it works. Like the way they 'never heard about it' . Yeah sure.
  • Like 1

BTW.... .. Yesterday I went to the Toyota garage cause of the older model EGR in my iQ from 2010. The car shows sometime some slower accelleration at a trafficlight. They looked it up and found the problems with the EGR in there Toyota database. I have an appointment next week. I will keep you all informed what happens.

In Holland we do not have an iQ club anymore so I do not know what is going on with the other iQ's. Thought that this problem was more in England... Or they handled the problem better in England.

Enayways .. He recognised the problem and said that this is all a warrenty thing. And I have an extended warrenty till 2015. I bought 2 years extra....when I bought the car it was standard 3 years.

• Like 1

The more we post info about Toyota's lack of decision regarding re call for EGR valve the better, only then in time they may accept they have made a mistake not making it a re call item. This may not help us, however it may help future Toyota decisions regarding what should become a re call in the future.

I have already publicly declared I will not buy another Toyota beyond my IQ ownership unless I see a very clear change of approach from Toyota in this respect.

As car buyers we all have a vast choice of cars makes and models to choose from, and its these choices we make that help determine the reaction of the car manufactures.

Sorry to say... but in Holland the advertising effort for the iQ from Toyota is really a "stunning" ZERO DOT ZERO Repetent... That's nothing... nothing

Very very sad...

The more we post info about Toyota's lack of decision regarding re call for EGR valve the better, only then in time they may accept they have made a mistake not making it a re call item. This may not help us, however it may help future Toyota decisions regarding what should become a re call in the future.

I have already publicly declared I will not buy another Toyota beyond my IQ ownership unless I see a very clear change of approach from Toyota in this respect.

As car buyers we all have a vast choice of cars makes and models to choose from, and its these choices we make that help determine the reaction of the car manufactures.

My posts about this life dangerous stall were deleted on this forum :-(
  • Like 1

Toyota may or may not monitor topics and posts on TOC - don't know.

If they don't, making posts on TOC suggesting recall or similar action may be wasted effort.

If owners are concerned about problems with their vehicle which may be safety related, there is a mechanism for reporting vehicle safety defects via VOSA - see https://www.gov.uk/report-vehicle-safety-defect (which also includes some guidance on vehicle safety defects). This may be a more effective method of making Toyota aware of your concerns.

• Like 1

Does'nt the Aygo have the same engine as the iQ?

What are the problems there? The car and engine is assembled somewhere in Hungary or so...

But the parts are the same... Are they not?

But it should have the same problems then.

Anyone heard about that / or looked in their forum?

Just thinking...

Thanks... S44gtw.. It sais the engine are produced in Japan and Poland.. And are the same ( iQ and Aygo 1 liter engine).

But do they have the same EGR problems? I could not find that.

Sorry i know nothing about the Aygo and the components,

(never had any interest in them really.)

but someone that does know can maybe comment on the EGR and if identical.

(someone that sees 100's of iQs over the past 4 years and works in a Toyota Dealership type person,

a member here that comments on the lack of number of faulty iQ's to cause any concerns would be ideal.)

What is different is the ECU map, & the Exhaust, Induction, maybe also other important factors,

Not much on line about Aygo EGR problems ,

but there are the odd MPG concern posts and Clutch Problems.

The 1 litre engines for the Aygo and the European production of the Yaris are built by Toyota in Poland.

Aygo does not have a CVT available .... It can only be delivered with a "robot" gearbox... Really terrible...

But the engine is the same as the iQ...

The 1KE-FR engine is used in the Aygo/Peugeot 107/Citroen C1, IQ, Yaris, Daihatsu Sirion/Subaru Justy, and Daihatsu Cuore. The current Aygo is available with the M-MT gearbox, but when the Aygo (and Peugeot 108/Citroen C1) replacement comes out in 2014, I would imagine any auto option would be a CVT.

It would not have been economically viable to re-engineer the existing Aygo/107/C1 for a CVT gearbox.