Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Egr Problem

Grumpy stumpy

The 5 year/100,000 mile new car warranty is only on cars supplied by Toyota GB - mainland Europe stayed with the 3 year/100,000 km new car warranty

Ah, oke. Cars for sale over here (Netherlands) have often, but not all, a "5 year warranty" placard on the boot/window..........

Cheers, Menno.

Hello Ladies and gents!

My name is Menno and I'm living in Holland. Currently I don't (yet) own a IQ. What disturb's me is the fact (! Toyota) of EGR problems and the high cost of replacement. Imagine buying an IQ and find out after a while its got more costs to come. Now, ofcourse I read some interesting things on this forum, and know what to look out for (large EGR pipe on the exhaust manifold, correct?).

But what if I find an IQ with all the specs that I want, but it's got the old manifold/cat.......... Toyota is gonna laugh at me in the face, I pressume, if I ask if they can change it on warranty (if its got FSH, and still in the 5 (?) year warranty thing)....... What about replacing the cat yourself then? You could buy some decent metal/race cats for fair prices, and the link pipe to the egr you can alter if you got welding equipment (got a TIG set myself). Or maybe alter only the link pipe. Somebody went this route allready? Excuse me for my c*@p English. There's no dutch forum, and I really like the IQ concept.

Cheers, Menno.

Hello Menno, why would you buy a car with a manufacturing error that can be life threatening from a car manufacturere that is in denial? And the repair can cost up to 5.500 dutch guilders or 2,500 euros? As they say in Holland: een gewaarschuwd mens telt voor twee. Good luck chosing your car!

• Like 1

Hello Ladies and gents!

My name is Menno and I'm living in Holland. Currently I don't (yet) own a IQ. What disturb's me is the fact (! Toyota) of EGR problems and the high cost of replacement. Imagine buying an IQ and find out after a while its got more costs to come. Now, ofcourse I read some interesting things on this forum, and know what to look out for (large EGR pipe on the exhaust manifold, correct?).

But what if I find an IQ with all the specs that I want, but it's got the old manifold/cat.......... Toyota is gonna laugh at me in the face, I pressume, if I ask if they can change it on warranty (if its got FSH, and still in the 5 (?) year warranty thing)....... What about replacing the cat yourself then? You could buy some decent metal/race cats for fair prices, and the link pipe to the egr you can alter if you got welding equipment (got a TIG set myself). Or maybe alter only the link pipe. Somebody went this route allready? Excuse me for my c*@p English. There's no dutch forum, and I really like the IQ concept.

Cheers, Menno.

Hello Menno, why would you buy a car with a manufacturing error that can be life threatening from a car manufacturere that is in denial? And the repair can cost up to 5.500 dutch guilders or 2,500 euros? As they say in Holland: een gewaarschuwd mens telt voor twee. Good luck chosing your car!

Because I like the concept! In essence its a fairly good car with some problems, expensive in this case...... If its got the old EGR system, then you could haggle some and maybe get a good deal out of it. If you then can repair it also yourself with some elbow grease and aftermarket cats, preferbarly metal ones, then you got a nice running car.......... Just a thought.

Cheers, Menno.

Ever so slightly off topic but the Prius is now starting to have trouble with EGR problems. I had mine replaced just shy of 80k miles and others are finding this mileage to be about the time for a failure. The repair is expensive.

So what's going on? Is the EGR issue on petrol cars a Toyota problem or is it the petrol's equivalent of the diesels particle filter issue?

It's only recently that UK petrol cars have had EGR valves fitted and they seem to be causing headaches. Anyone from a dealer know what gives and what can be done?

The IQ is expensive once purchased as everything needs to come from Toyota! £100 for 2 headlight bulbs! I tried everywhere and even Toyota hadn't heard of them and had to order them in!

Sent from my iPhone using Toyota OC

It's actually the diesel equivalent of the EGR...all modern diesels have them as well and they cause even more problems for diesels.

EGR problems on petrol engines are by no means restricted to Toyota. EGR is basically poorly thought out political nonsense foisted on an unsuspecting public. When people started to realise the only long term solution to this constant cleaning/replacement issue was removal of the offending equipment, the politicians simply made it illegal to circumvent their stupidity.

Engine tuners spend fortunes tuning exhaust systems in order to improve scavenging of exhaust gases from combustion chambers (for performance engines) and here we are, deliberately forcing the crap back into the cylinders. Anyone with a brain cell could foresee the problems...and did. They were. of course, ignored.

The only way to reduce EGR problems is to improve combustion but we're deliberately wrecking the aforementioned combustion cycle by feeding exhaust gases back into the combustion chambers...therefore, you will, at some stage, have to clean your EGR valve and the associated inlet tract - or replace it if it doesn't get cleaned in time.

• Like 1