Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Kangaroo Yaris T Spirit 2011

pudpud

Purchased this car couple weeks ago. Our last car had 1.1 engine & was 8 years old, so not having driven for long time car with bigger engine I thought I need time to get used to more powerful engine & possible more responsive brakes with this one. I am finding that it still at times feels hard to handle & I cant seem to get brakes usage quite right so tend to judder. I don't know if its me or could there be something wrong, the revs??........any comments grateful for......I know typical woman driver!

Purchased this car couple weeks ago. Our last car had 1.1 engine & was 8 years old, so not having driven for long time car with bigger engine I thought I need time to get used to more powerful engine & possible more responsive brakes with this one. I am finding that it still at times feels hard to handle & I cant seem to get brakes usage quite right so tend to judder. I don't know if its me or could there be something wrong, the revs??........any comments grateful for......I know typical woman driver!

2011 saw a model change for the Yaris. Is yours a series 2 or 3? Petrol or diesel?

Regards Geoff Peace

if the brakes are juddering then it means your activating the abs or do you mean the engine is juddering when you have nearly come to a halt, if its the latter then depress the clutch a little bit earlier. the brakes on yaris's are sharp to say the least

alex

2011 saw a model change for the Yaris. Is yours a series 2 or 3? Petrol or diesel?

Regards Geoff Peace

Hi

It is a petrol. It was registered march 2011, Yaris t spirit VVT-1

if the brakes are juddering then it means your activating the abs or do you mean the engine is juddering when you have nearly come to a halt, if its the latter then depress the clutch a little bit earlier. the brakes on yaris's are sharp to say the least

alex

The brakes certainly are sharp & that's taking some getting used to. That may possibily be part of the problem. I always found that once you go down thro the gears you slow down a car but with this one it seems to almost race ahead still & then I brake & get the kangaroo effect!

It sounds like you're down-shifting too early or not pulsing the accelerator to match revs - This overrevs the engine, making it j erk then catapult you forward.

Actually, IIRC the Mk2 (And maybe Mk3) Yarisususesesis pulse the engine when the clutch is disengaged which may also be why the downshifting is causing you to kangaroo?

The Yaris is known for having very sharp brakes, esp. when new but that's just something to get used to. The car likes drivers who have a bit of foot finesse :)

It might be worth adjusting your driving style a bit tho'; I use downshifting to slow down, but these days driving instructors teach you not to do this but to brake in-gear and disengage the clutch as the revs drop (instead of climbing down gears), and then goto neutral and handbrake or block shift directly to the appropriate gear.

• Like 1

It sounds like you're down-shifting too early or not pulsing the accelerator to match revs - This overrevs the engine, making it j erk then catapult you forward.

Actually, IIRC the Mk2 (And maybe Mk3) Yarisususesesis pulse the engine when the clutch is disengaged which may also be why the downshifting is causing you to kangaroo?

The Yaris is known for having very sharp brakes, esp. when new but that's just something to get used to. The car likes drivers who have a bit of foot finesse :)

It might be worth adjusting your driving style a bit tho'; I use downshifting to slow down, but these days driving instructors teach you not to do this but to brake in-gear and disengage the clutch as the revs drop (instead of climbing down gears), and then goto neutral and handbrake or block shift directly to the appropriate gear.

I agree entirely with regard to not using the gears to slow down. This is a hangover from the days when car brakes were nothing like as efficient as they are now. Also you may be changing up too soon, with a modern engine low engine revs are not a good idea as the engine will labour and cause jerkiness. especially when going uphill. You may also be using the brakes too gently and the pads have become glazed when they will tend to grab rather than brake smoothly. Not to worry, however, just find a quiet road and with the car at say 50 m.p.h. brake to a standstill fairly quickly, do this three or four times and it will heat the discs and remove the glaze from the pads. It will also probably give you more confidence with the brakes. Post how you get on.

Regards Geoff Peace.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the comments, I am working on it. Not sure about warped discs??!!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links