Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Inheriting A Mkii Celica Supra

gargravarr

Hi all,

Just joined. I'm 23 and have been having some really crappy luck with cars recently - my mk4 Fiesta was written off last year, and I bought a Puma to replace it, which has taken 1.5x what I paid for it in repairs since October last year to stay roadworthy!

Still, my dad has now moved out to the Middle East. Several years ago, he bought this:

DSCF0003.jpg

A 1986 Celica Supra, 2.8i, in incredible condition. It had one owner from new, an owner so meticulous with paperwork and records that even the stickers off the tyres ended up in the service history!

My Dad moved a few years ago and the car's been stuck in the garage ever since. It's been rolled out just once in that time, about a year ago now, when I made sure the engine hadn't seized - it started up first time, although it needs a new Battery. Since it's getting no use and it's too expensive to export, my dad is giving it to me.

Originally my intention was to sell it, because a. I couldn't afford to run it and b. I reckoned it should be driven by someone who'd appreciate it. I got my dad's approval to sell it, but while the Puma was having another batch of work done I went looking through insurance sites. Purely for a laugh I ran the Supra through a few, expecting £10k or more, but I was astonished to find I could get insured on this beast for less than my freaking Puma! Yeah, your guess is as good as mine! (In fact, substantially less than a diesel Fiesta I'd been looking at as a runaround!)

So I'm now seriously trying to put the Supra on the road, if only for a year, just so I can drive this magnificent machine. It needs taxing and an MOT, but it passed the last one fine three years ago and has sat in a dry garage ever since. I know the fuel use is going to be *quite* a lot higher than the Puma (I can get 38MPG out of that), but I reckon it's worth it. The Puma's tax, MOT and insurance ran out a couple of months ago; it's just had an MOT, but I'm in no hurry to get the other two arranged now!

What can I expect if I get into driving one of these machines? :)

Cheers,

Gargravarr

PS. As I've said, my original intention was to sell it. If you (or someone you know) would be interested in buying this beast in several months' to a year's time, I'm all ears :)

• 4 weeks later...

The celica supra is an amazing machine, I have an 85 celica supra that I am restoring and converting to the 7mgte engine. They are becoming very rare in this country with less than 50 registered on the roads according to howmanyleft.co.uk.

The 2.8 is fairly reasonable on fuel consumption, I think you'll be surprised.

• 9 months later...

Please show me a pic of a celiac supra, I've bought a 1992 supra 3litre manual, and was told it was a celiac supra but don't know, and would you know where I can get exhaust and back springs for this car please, as someone has lowered it at back and botched the exhaust, though it has just been given a new mot.

Please show me a pic of a celiac supra, I've bought a 1992 supra 3litre manual, and was told it was a celiac supra but don't know, and would you know where I can get exhaust and back springs for this car please, as someone has lowered it at back and botched the exhaust, though it has just been given a new mot.

The Celica Supra was made between 1978 and 1986 in two marks, and never in 3 litre, so anything from 1986 onwards is a pure Supra. I think you have a MkIII if it's still fairly wedge-shaped; if it's quite rounded then it's a MkIV. They're good cars in their own right, and modify well. I wouldn't know where you could get an exhaust from; ask your local garage.

Pictures of my Celica Supra:

http://s342.photobucket.com/user/quantumleap2032/library/Cars?sort=2&page=1

And yes, I put the Supra on the road from June to November, and love it to pieces!

• 3 months later...

I'd love a decent Celica Supra - I actually ran a mk3 Supra 3.0 Turbo for a while and it was a great car and not *too* thirsty if you were careful with the loud pedal. Alice, your car is definitely a Mk3 Supra, by the way. If you head over to www.mkiiisupra.net you'll find plenty of help.

OP, any more pics of the CS? :)

Here's my old Sup. Just because ;)

822f73e8.jpg

I'd love a decent Celica Supra - I actually ran a mk3 Supra 3.0 Turbo for a while and it was a great car and not *too* thirsty if you were careful with the loud pedal. Alice, your car is definitely a Mk3 Supra, by the way. If you head over to www.mkiiisupra.net you'll find plenty of help.

OP, any more pics of the CS? :)

Here's my old Sup. Just because ;)

822f73e8.jpg

The mk3's were great cars, shame about the head gasket reputation! Still, once the turbo kicked in, it became a real performance car - we had a white '89 mk3 for a while, great machine. But my dad preferred the mk2 - the white one was his second - because I think it has more character.

Here are a few more pictures of my mk2 (nicknamed 'Dragon') from when I took it to Bromley Pageant last month:

http://s342.photobucket.com/user/quantumleap2032/library/Bromley%20Pageant%202014?sort=2&page=1

Washed and polished. White cars polish up great!

Welcome Rob :)

On the insurance front, I had fully comp cover with restricted mileage on my Mk IV Supra for £350 ! I was in my 30's at the time, but still ........

I would count on mid 20's average for your MPG.

On the insurance front, I had fully comp cover with restricted mileage on my Mk IV Supra for £350 ! I was in my 30's at the time, but still ........

Thanks for the welcome, although I've been a mk2 owner for a year now ;)

Insurance is still a killer - I have it on a modified policy with Adrian Flux with mileage limited to 7,500, and that still squeezes me for £1,000!

Mid-20s for MPG is fair for city driving or booting it, but you'd be astonished - I managed 457 miles on a tank driving to Paris and back, an average of 35MPG, and that was with an open thermostat and leaking fuel tank! I think it is genuinely possible to go 500 miles full to empty in one of these cars, returning 40MPG.

From a 1980s 2.8-litre straight-6.

Toyota really were ahead of the game back in the 80s and they still are!

Oops - didn't see the OP date, lol.

That's impressive MPG figures there, but many of the older generation cars are capable of such things because they're so much simpler. No cats, no multitude of black boxes or airbags, etc - plus it's non-turbo. Less to go wrong too !

Oops - didn't see the OP date, lol.

That's impressive MPG figures there, but many of the older generation cars are capable of such things because they're so much simpler. No cats, no multitude of black boxes or airbags, etc - plus it's non-turbo. Less to go wrong too !

Hehe ;)

There is indeed drastically less to go wrong in these cars (not that I haven't had problems, but thankfully they are problems I can diagnose with a multimeter!), but the MPG is down to two factors - one, the mk2 weighs only 1,250KG (some 300KG lighter than its successors!) and two, the big non-turbo straight-6 isn't working very hard at highway speeds - the working load is spread across all six cylinders so it doesn't consume quite so much fuel, especially in comparison to a four-pot machine! This one doesn't have a cat, true, but they did from the factory - mine has an aftermarket exhaust. But yes, they are very simple - six-cylinder engine, manual gearbox, rear wheels, GO!

Thanks for the welcome, although I've been a mk2 owner for a year now ;)

Insurance is still a killer - I have it on a modified policy with Adrian Flux with mileage limited to 7,500, and that still squeezes me for £1,000!

Mid-20s for MPG is fair for city driving or booting it, but you'd be astonished - I managed 457 miles on a tank driving to Paris and back, an average of 35MPG, and that was with an open thermostat and leaking fuel tank! I think it is genuinely possible to go 500 miles full to empty in one of these cars, returning 40MPG.

From a 1980s 2.8-litre straight-6.

Toyota really were ahead of the game back in the 80s and they still are!

Hi and welcome,

If you ever need any assistance with your insurance at all please feel free to drop me a line.

Regards,

Dan

• 2 years later...

Hi..

That works. It's nice when you can get one for a great price.

The cressida's are rare over here in Colorado. I've been looking for a front bumper lip but the junkyards over here seldomly have them or they are thrashed.

PREVENTATIVE VEHICLE MAINTENANCE 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links