Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Front Nearside Knocking Noise.

GPT15

Hi All

Please can somebody help me with a problem I am experiencing on my 2008 (58) SR180. Recently it has developed a knocking noise which appears to be in sync with the rotation of the wheel which is particularly bad when turning to the right. I have jacked the car up and checked for wheel bearing play, all seems ok. Removed the wheel and checked the ball joints, track rod ends and drop links all appear ok. I am thinking CV joint? My experience of these is more of a clicking sound, where this appears to be a knock/thud with the slightest of movement to the right.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I am trying to avoid a visit my local Mr T dealer.

Thanks

G

Hi All

Please can somebody help me with a problem I am experiencing on my 2008 (58) SR180. Recently it has developed a knocking noise which appears to be in sync with the rotation of the wheel which is particularly bad when turning to the right. I have jacked the car up and checked for wheel bearing play, all seems ok. Removed the wheel and checked the ball joints, track rod ends and drop links all appear ok. I am thinking CV joint? My experience of these is more of a clicking sound, where this appears to be a knock/thud with the slightest of movement to the right.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I am trying to avoid a visit my local Mr T dealer.

Thanks

G

Welcome abroad, Greg,

Has anybody been fitting non standard and malfitting brake pads, which could rattle against a possibly warped disc? Your year of car was infamous for having brake pads which shed their material on to discs.....any feedback from brake pedal.....pulsating....?

Big Kev

Hi Kev

I did experience the problem with the brake pad and discs and replaced them about 10k miles ago.

I have no vibration through the brake pedal or through the steering wheel. It occurs when the weight of the vehicle is transferred to the front n/side wheel when turning right.

I am getting frustrated at not being able to diagnose the fault confidently and I am really trying to avoid Mr T.

G

Swap the front tyre to the back - it might have a separation but I would question those discs like Kev says. He is right a worrying amount of the time these days.

He is right a worrying amount of the time these days.

I agree, I remember the days he couldn't tell his disc from his di*k :)

But who cares sat in 29 degrees this evening, with a nice cold beer :)

Gus

My initial thoughts were a defective tyre and so as you suggested swapped the tyres front to back, sadly no difference!

Ask Mr.T how much for a diagnostic on it then, Greg, and negotiate.....they are like every other business....not exactly queued oot the door these days. Just noticed where you are based......is That Wales totally full of Ravs.....? There's lovely......

Diolch yn fawr Kev

......and we call each other fellow gaels when visiting friends and family in Porthcawl and Swansea ffs.........toiledau humour if yeez ask me.....lol.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links