Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Clonking Noise From Rear.

DJF

Hi,

I wonder if any of you wonderful people may be able to shed some light on a noise i have.

We are getting a clonking noise from the rear (mid to rear) when turning up an incline, such as going up a ramp in a multi storey car park, so when the front and rear suspension are working opposite each other. i hope that makes sense.

at first i wondered if it was drop link arms / anti roll bar at rear, but the clonking is quite loud and harsh now.

Thank you for any advice you may have.

Hye, This sounds very much like the noise I was having on mine, upon closer inspection of the rear springs [we had to clean them off to see it] just one was broken and when going over speed bumps, up car parks, and just accelerating up a hill sometimes made a clunk noise, I was advised that its better to replace both at the same time as they are usually the same age but its up to you. You can see the springs under the wheel arch. I think we paid about £80 for both springs. If this is the case.

Hope this helps.

Julianne

Thanks Julianne, I hope it is something as simple as that, and that the cost is similar.

Thanks Julianne, I hope it is something as simple as that, and that the cost is similar.

Julianne almost crtainly right, but also check the wear ridge on all discs as if it is severe, it can clip the brake pad, lifting it and allowing it to drop and causes it to rattle in its carrier.

• Like 1

.......and those drop links do break so pay particular attention to them.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies, Don, are the drop links an expensive job to get done?

Only if you buy the official Toyota ones, mate....do a wee search (if it is found to be droplinks) coz somebody hereon got some from eBay and saved a nawfy lotta gbp not that long ago.

Edit....just looked at eBay....plenty available at varying prices which seem reasonable, but don't do a Toyota workshop impression and start throwing bits and guesses at it until properly diagnosticated :thumbsup:

Big Kev

I bought the last from my local motor factor. It was about £30 I think.

Thanks everybody,

It's going in to Toyota next week to be investigated. Fingers crossed.

Hi,

I wonder if any of you wonderful people may be able to shed some light on a noise i have.

We are getting a clonking noise from the rear (mid to rear) when turning up an incline, such as going up a ramp in a multi storey car park, so when the front and rear suspension are working opposite each other. i hope that makes sense.

at first i wondered if it was drop link arms / anti roll bar at rear, but the clonking is quite loud and harsh now.

Thank you for any advice you may have.

Hello DJ, I was having the exact problem you were having and on close inspection found that the O/S/R spring had snapped in one place (completely)! To be honest It was no great surprise as the car when stationary and viewed from the rear had an obvious lean toward the broken spring!

Going to get a new PAIR supplied and fitted this Tuesday coming as well as new rear brake pads for just over £200 from my local ATS...They fitted X4 AVON RANGER tyres (235/60/R16H) for me last week and they are very fair in price! First time I've moved away from Bridgestone Duellers which I found puncture very easily!?

Hope this helps mate!...Steve

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links