Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Coolant Empty Again Argh

Rabbijon

Hey all. Way back around Christmas time I posted here about the internal heater blowing cold and the engine cooling fan coming on very regularly. Eventually after a visit to the Toyota garage it was found to be leak in the coolant system. According to Toyota it was the pump. So I got that replaced at a cost of 200 quid. Car has been excellent till now. The fan has again started to come on, on almost every trip I make regardless of distance. (at least a few miles). So quick check under the hood , I see the coolant reservoir empty once again. Will take it to a mate tomorrow and then hand it back to Mr T to see what's up. The reason i post id I'm beginning to wonder if its related to the engine issue with the coolant incompatibility I've read about or if its just a poor job on the original issue?

Since reading many posts on here I'm wondering how many people's Toyota dealer are part of the Arnold Clark group? Unfortunately that's where my dealer is and I don't trust them one tiny bit.

Does anyone know of an alternative mr T around the Kilmarnock/Glasgow area?

Actually the AC Toyota franchise in Linwood seemed OK.

Actually the AC Toyota franchise in Linwood seemed OK.

.....and Bishopbriggs so far have been exemplary thus far, Rabbi....if you need my input to pave any ways, jiss shout, min.....

Cheers for the opinions folks. I will post tomorrow what my mate and Mr T at AC say. I love the rav, just hope it's a simple cheap fix or even a freebie.

It might be new engine time.

That's what I'm afraid of. If its that time hopefully the process is straight forward.

not wanting to sound to pedantic, I check under the bonnet at leaste twice a week and if going for a trip of over 100+ miles up with it before setting off, if you wait for things to go wrong it's to late to avoid bigger problems.

B-A

Luckily your still within the 7 year engine warranty period.

If mine ever goes I'm goosed.

My mate put some fluid through the coolant system and it was blue or something going in and came back yellow which he says means there is traces of hydro carbons in it. Sound familiar to anybody?

Sounds like failure of the head gasket....................

Would that come under the seven year 70000 mile warranty?

Aye.

Cool. Phoned mr t head office and they passed me to another department. They have logged my case and are awaiting the garages report. It's booked in for Wednesday so I will just have to wait and see. Fingers crossed. It's only done 57k.

The extended warranty is seven years or 111.000 miles not 70.000 miles.. If your head gasket has popped then you should be covered.. Good luck with it !

I would say be glad its popped now, and not in another 12 months time,when you'd be faced with a £1500+ bill.

Yeah I'll be glad if thats what it is and Mr T sorts if for free. I just get the feeling they will fob me off with some other excuse and say its up to me to get it fixed.

If it is the head gasket you shouldn't have any problems getting a replacement engine, I took my Verso with 93k in at the start of April after losing coolant and the engine was changed without any fuss, very impressed with the service. Still had to pay for the 90k service at the same time though, curious as they would have had to put oil and new filter in anyway but £159 is small price to pay for a new engine so never complained.

Have done 3000 miles in the last 6 weeks (busy month) and all still ok. i have used about a litre of oil in that time though but I understand this is well within what you can expect. I have 12 months warranty on the new engine and 18 months or 16k miles until the extended warranty is up on the car so will decide then what to do about keeping it.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links