Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rav4 T180 Water Pump

poolplayer

Hi had an 80,000 mls service today on my T180 not bad £291.00 he said its not used much oil since 71,000 service so fingers crossed engine is a good 1. Also told me water pump had a slight leak and it would cost £340 anyone else had it done cheaper by Toyota ...

If you look hard enough on eBay you can find genuine Toyota water pumps for around the £30 mark brand new! I've got 2 of them sitting in my shed...

How slight is the leak?

Well he said to keep eye on it will need doing next 2 months but not serious at the min

Yup, just watch the level and see how much, if any, topping up is needed. It could simply be a slight weep.

Yup, just watch the level and see how much, if any, topping up is needed. It could simply be a slight weep.

Thanks Dav is this another common prob with any rav4 never had this prob with my 2003 D4D GX had it new done 140000 mls

Did you check the oil level inbetween the services?

Hi had an 80,000 mls service today on my T180 not bad £291.00 he said its not used much oil since 71,000 service so fingers crossed engine is a good 1. Also told me water pump had a slight leak and it would cost £340 anyone else had it done cheaper by Toyota ...

mine was changed by 75k kms -- no panic -- it seems they serve such milage matey

Did you check the oil level inbetween the services?

Hi Dom only had the car 3 weeks but garage told me it was ok but could have been topped up before i bought it so have to keep check as from today warranty runs out 1st Oct 2013

Thanks Dav is this another common prob with any rav4 never had this prob with my 2003 D4D GX had it new done 140000 mls

Seem to remember Anchs or somebody saying this is quite common this wee weep, and not worth doing until level drops signififully.....?

Yep keep a close eye on oil level and usage if any.

If it has to be done then the supplying dealer should do it but those pumps have a weep hole designed to save contaminating the bearing with coolant. The seal is a gland seal and they can weep for life - usually as it makes the transition from cool to hot and then it dries out. The result is a pink stain around the weep hole and nothing more. Until it leaks enough that you can see it going down, forget about it.

If it has to be done then the supplying dealer should do it but those pumps have a weep hole designed to save contaminating the bearing with coolant. The seal is a gland seal and they can weep for life - usually as it makes the transition from cool to hot and then it dries out. The result is a pink stain around the weep hole and nothing more. Until it leaks enough that you can see it going down, forget about it.

Thanks Anchorman will keep my eye on things at the moment cant notice any loss in the level . Heating inside very hot on full and temp gauge staying halfway on cold

Its an old dealer money spinner. Used to be under warranty but TGB put a stop to it. Now the owners get lobbied!!! I'd want Charlie Dimmock to build me a water feature for £320 and that includes the pump.

• Like 1

Charlie Dimmock? That's going back a few years...

She did have a couple of memorable features iirc.;-)

She did indeed........................

..........sorry what were you saying?

Aye.....certainly supplied somewhere to hang two wet duffle coats....

• Like 1