Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Engine Oil

FROSTYBALLS

Devon Aygo has recently supplied the following information on oil requirements:

"The issues over which oils are used is caused by a European law called "Block exemption" the same law that states that manufacturers can't insist on main dealer servicing, also stops Toyota from insisting what oils are used by anyone wishing to service a car including their own dealer network. All Toyota are allowed to do is list a set of specifications that the oil used must meet they can also list a "preferred" oil. For example I have listed below the requirements Toyota have for the mkiii Prius, a car that has caused a lot of posts over the oils that have been used during servicing. This info is taken from Toyota's Service data sheet for European Prius mkiii only!

Preferred option:
0w20

Other listed options:
5w20
5w30
10w30
15w40
20w50

These grades above are listed by Toyota as they meet the following required specifications:

API grade SL or SM multigrade engine oil
API grade SL “Energy-Conserving”. SM “Energy-Conserving” or ILSAC* multigrade engine oil.

Toyota can only require the oils used meet the minimum specifications above. So long a the oil used meets the above the oil grade is not enforceable.

At present Toyota have "asked" but cannot enforce the dealer network to use the following,

Mk3 Prius, Prius plug-in, Prius +, Mk1 Auris HSD, Mk2 Auris HSD & Yaris HSD 0w20

Mk1 & Mk2 Prius 5w30

Optimal drive petrol models 0w20

Other petrol engines 5w30

Diesel engines incl Optimal drive 5w30

Diesel engines with DPF/DPNR including optimal drive 0w30 or 5w30 meeting C2 low ash

New additions

1.6 1WW & 2.0 2WW ( BMW ) 5w30 meeting C3 low Ash

1.6 DV6 & 2.0 DW10 ( PSA ) 5w30 meeting C2 low ash

• Like 1

All available from Kingo, 0w 20, 0w 30, 5w 30 PM me for prices. Please state the grade you require or let me know what model / engine type you have

Kingo :thumbsup:

• 6 months later...

Part numbers:

08880-82870 = 1lt bottle 0W30 C2 spec oil

08880-82871 = 5lt bottle 0W30 C2 spec oil

All available from your local Toyota dealer

• 3 months later...

sorry to sound not clued up but whats optimal drive and would that be on my car its a 57/07 model 2.0 d4d tr 5door 6 speed ? trying find out not just best grade oil to use but best companys oil to try reduce chance of headgasket fail would 0/30 fully synthetic be correct for this model??

thanks Frostyballs not sure what a DPF is or how to check it out on the car would 0w/30 be more safe bet if so would rather pay for better oil and had quick look at the optimal drive page my car has some of these things but not all is that right mine being 57 model I have 6 speed and gear change light only thing I don't have on list is stop and start ?

DPF is a diesel particulate filter. Imo it's highly unlikely that your car has one.

5W30 semi- or full synthetic should be fine unless you live in the parts of Aberdeenshire that get down to -27C (although they should handle that) where you may prefer to use 0W30.

thanks Heidfirst thought that's what it was but wasn't sure and the coldest I have been in here was 2012 I was nightshift loading oil standby vessels in place called Peterhead it was -16 was like being in a coldstore so Castrol edge 5w30 would be ok or would lucas 0w/30 fullysyn be better only 2 pounds difference on 5 liter

I know the Blue Toon well! ;)

The sea will act as a temperature moderator so it won't get as cold as the inland glens.

Edge 5W30 would be my preference of those 2.

ok bud thanks and well I work nights down at harbour and it gets very cold sometimes not called blue toon for nothing lol

• 3 weeks later...

I just got some Shell helix hx7 5w30 full synthetic that should be alright shouldn't it

Sent from my HTC One SV using Toyota OC mobile app

I just got some shell helix hx7 5w30 full synthetic that should be alright shouldn't it

Looking at the data sheets for the Helix Hx7 it doesnt meet the specs listed by Toyota nor is it the oil Shell list as compatible either, see: http://lubematch.shell.co.uk/gb/en_GB/equipment/auris_1_6i_16v_dual_vvti_1zr_fe_007934

However when going through Opie Oils it is the only one listed as a full service change ie need 6.3l and it's the only one to offer 7l as it is the 2.0 diesel and it is used on diesel engines for ford mainly but it's a ford and Shell co-op thing ... And it what came with the filter when I ordered it through the motor factors with the garage .... Normally I use petronas syntium 5000cp ...

Also wherever I check for oil seems to be the same oil that ford and Toyota use ... Hence thought I best put the question out there ... As we of course we always question change

Higher price of motor oils does not equate to better protection. A thinner oil offering better performance may not necessarily offer better protection for the engine.

Other peoples opinions may vary but for me the using Motul 8100 X-Cess or Total Quartz 9000 INEO MC3 have less metal particles inside a high milage engine.

I sent my oil back and told them to order the oil again I have now got petronas syntium 5000 cp ... 40 quid for 7 litres not bad price at all euro car parts make mistakes every so often though so can't blame them for one mistake

• 1 month later...

hi to all, this is my first time here.. i need some help from you.. in my mind, only TOYOTA..

I have auris tr 2007 1.6 petrol.. which oil is the best for it? 5w30 fuel economy or 10w40 semi synthetic? because toyota malta only that 2 give to their clients.. and the capacity?

my wife`s car is yaris 2009 1.0 petrol.. same, 5w30 fuel economy or 10w40 semi synthetic? and the capacity?

the capacity of oil, without filter..

i need to know how to change inside bulbs on my auris?

thx alottt guys =]

I'd go with the 5W-30 - make sure it meets API SL or SM.

thx mike... what its mean API SL OR SM?

THX again

API stands for American Petroleum Institute. API SL or SM is a classification indicating the level of protection provided by an oil. The three current classifications are SJ, SL and SM - with SJ providing the lowest level and SM the highest. Toyota stipulates that SL (for 2004 and older engines) and SM (for engines from 2005) are used in their engines.

thx alott mike =]

• 3 months later...

Been reading this thread with interest as i am about to change my engine oil.

I have purchased Castrol Edge 5W 30 fully Synthetic oil for my Auris 1.6 petrol 5 speed manual, i know fully synthetic is over the top for my engine but understand it perfectly OK for my car, the question i have is regarding the ACEA C3 specification, after reading the Auris owners handbook, i noticed that Toyota recommend an specification of ACEA C2 for my Auris, they state anything other than C2 could cause damage to the catalytic converter.

Please can anyone tell me if it will be OK to use the Castrol edge with a C3 specification, for example is it of higher spec therefor perfectly safe to use.

Thanks in advance.

The ACEA C categories are for diesel engines. Anything other than ACEA C2 can cause problems with diesel engines fitted with a DPF and the owners manual 'warning' refers to diesel engines fitted with a 'dpf catalytic convertor'.

So it should be OK for petrol engines as long as it meets the API SL or SM.

The oil selector on the Castrol site recommends Castrol Edge 5W-30 for the 1.6 petrol Auris.