Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Engine Oil

FROSTYBALLS

The ACEA C categories are for diesel engines. Anything other than ACEA C2 can cause problems with diesel engines fitted with a DPF

ACEA C3 is also fine - the difference between C2 & C3 is that C2 has demonstrated a small improvement in fuel economy (lower viscosity).

Some diesels with DPFs require C1 (e.g. Jaguar XF) or C4.

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-789-acea.aspx

The ACEA C categories are for diesel engines. Anything other than ACEA C2 can cause problems with diesel engines fitted with a DPF

ACEA C3 is also fine - the difference between C2 & C3 is that C2 has demonstrated a small improvement in fuel economy (lower viscosity).

C3 is not acceptable in Toyota 1AD or 2AD engines it is however used in two variations by Toyota one for the PSA engined Proace and the other for the new 1.6 BMW engine both use a C3 but of different specs. The oil Ball Hi has listed is a C3 spec which is for diesel engines but he has said his Auris is a 1.6 petrol so the oil does not meet the specs for a petrol engine which requires an APL SL or Sm spec.

SN is the latest spec! Take a look at ECP sister site(Google "Cheap car parts") and you will see oils that are full synthetic for stupid cheap money. I use there 5w40 API SN in my Gt4 205 without zny problem! 5L for £11.55 delivered when you use check out code saveme75.

I have a brand new 25L drum of Shell Helix Ultra Extra 5-30 C2 spec that I will be putting on eBay soon. Open to offers...

C3 is not acceptable in Toyota 1AD or 2AD engines it is however used in two variations by Toyota one for the PSA engined Proace and the other for the new 1.6 BMW engine both use a C3 but of different specs. The oil Ball Hi has listed is a C3 spec which is for diesel engines but he has said his Auris is a 1.6 petrol so the oil does not meet the specs for a petrol engine which requires an APL SL or Sm spec.

Hi

I called the Opie Oils helpline number yesterday offering free expert advice regards engine oils, the number is 01209202948, the person i spoke to said that Castrol Edge 5W-30 C3 was an excellent choice for my car, he also said that it can be used for both Petrol and Diesel engines.

See also : http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-713-castrol-edge-5w-30-fst-fully-synthetic-engine-oil.aspx

Hope this helps

The oil is now in my car, i'll let you guys know in due course how it performs.

As I said earlier, the oil selector on the Castrol site recommends Edge 5W-30 for the Auris 1.6 petrol, so you should be OK.

• 5 weeks later...

As promised, an update on the Castrol Edge 5W-30 C3 oil i fitted to my car, i have taken two long motorway journeys in recent weeks, plus town driving.

The car performed great, the engine remained extremely quiet temperature levels were normal, gear changes were smooth.

Its normal to see an improvement in petrol consumption on the long run and this was the case, petrol consumption around town fluctuates between approx 33.8 to 36 mpg, 36 being the number showing as my average consumption at the moment.

So pleased to report no adverse affects.

Thanks also to Frosty for his advice :thumbsup:

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

My son discovered that thicker oil led to reduced engine efficency in cold weather and the reason for prefering the lowest viscosity oil. My son (Scotland) found experienced this. So any low viscosity oil is ok and will not invalidate any warranty cover. So the only issue is what grade to use.

• 2 months later...

hope im in the right forum , Halfords have a promotion on at the minute with 5w40 fully senthitic oil for £12 for 5 liter's would this be ok for my2008 Auris 1.3 petrol.

The Halfords oils are in 4 litre containers - not 5. The 5W-30 semi synthetic would be a better choice for your car. As regards their own brand oils, the Halfords website seems to have quite a few errors in the specs and pictures, so you may be better off going into one of their stores

http://www.halfords.com/motoring/engine-oils-fluids/engine-oil/halfords-5w30-part-synthetic-oil-4l

hope im in the right forum , Halfords have a promotion on at the minute with 5w40 fully senthitic oil for £12 for 5 liter's would this be ok for my2008 Auris 1.3 petrol.

Oil grade for your car depends on which engine you have:

1.4 VVti requires 3.7lt 5w30

1.33 Dual VVti with stop start requires 3.4lt 0w20

5w40 would be a bit too thick when warm and quite possibly lower your fuel economy especially if you have the 1.33 engine

yes thanks for that advice ,iwas a bit doutfull my self about this oil so i took it back to Halfords got my money back and the guy just laughed and said well i would put it in my car ,i said well there you go.

Yeah the 5W40 is too viscous for the newer petrol engines; It's better for people with older cars with high mileage or cars with Mk1 1.4 D4D engines.

• 1 month later...

I'm rather confused about what engine oil I need for my 2007 Auris 2.2 180 - 2AD FHV...

All 5w-30

Most websites are recommending C2 or C3 oils which I can understand due to the DCAT but my handbook is stating B1?

Can anyone shed any light?

Thanks

post-102799-0-17756400-1424526897_thumb.

The oil spec in the owners manual is the minimum requirement was current at the time of printing and when the car was new - oils do get improved and oil specs updated over time.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone! I've got a question about motor oil. My Auris is a 2009 1.33 petrol. I went to a shop to get some oil for topping up (my car uses a bit, so topping up might be needed before next oil change). Since I'm a bit of a beginner at cars I asked the guy in the shop for a 5w30 oil suitable for my car (toyota put their own 5w30 in the car last oil change). He gave me a bottle marked 5w30, ACEA A1/B1, A5/B5, WSS-M2C-913 A/B, WSS-M2C-913 C. Now I just went through my owner's manual, and saw that it recommends that the oil should be marked API SL or SM, or ILSAC multigrade. A bit confused now, because the shop should know what they're talking about (and the guy checked if the oil was compatible on his computer...).

So what do you think, can I use it or not?

That should be fine for topping up. There are more grades and classifications than you can shake a stick at but 5W30 is perfectly acceptable.

(the 1.33 engine with stop/start should be actually be using a special 0W20 grade. You say your dealer used 5W30. That is not uncommon, a couple of years ago I quizzed my dealer on what they would be using and was told 5W30. Latterly they say 0W20 is used on all 1.33's. Unfortunately you have no way of knowing. The 0W20 is very thin and designed to aid economy but its also a fact that at high temperatures and high speed it will offer less protection than a thicker oil. Next time you have it serviced ask the dealer what oil and grade is used)

Mooly: thanks for the reply! I don't have start-stop on mine, and the service man at Toyota told me he put 5w30 in it, and that they do that with all four-five years or older Aurises. The former owner of my car used 5w40 for some reason, which isn't recommended in my manual (although there seem to be several version of the manual...) but which should be OK too according to my Toyota dealer. I was mainly worried about the classification, since the bottle doesn't have API or ILSAC written on it (the guy who sold it claimed Toyota use the same motor oil specifications as Ford, which should be the WSS numbers).

• 3 weeks later...

just got our sr180 back from toyota garage for its 6 year service and MOT and i noticed that on the invoice they used 6.3l of 0w20 engine oil? thought it had to be 0w30 or 5w30 c2?

should I be concerned?

Both the quantity 6.3lt ( should be 5.9lt on a 2.2) & and grade are wrong should be either 0W30 or 5W30 both C2 it may be an error but it does need clarification/rectification.

• 7 months later...

Hello,

I own a Toyota Auris 1,33 Petrol of 2010. I have 94.000Kms and accidentaly(long story) i found out that the engine consumes about 100-120ml oil every 1000kms. Is this acceptable? The service guy told me that its normal and that the engine has capacity of 3,5lt of oil. So every 15.000kms that i have my service, there should be left about 2lt of oil, or even less, in the engine and i'm worrying that for some reason the engine consumes more oil than it should.

Think 0.5 litres every 1,000km is considered as heavy - so you're currently using less than 25% of this. Keep a regular check on the oil and top up as necessary, rather than leave it until the service.

I have a 2.0 diesel and have been using Castrol edge and mobile 1 turbo diesel on alternating oil changes... Or whichever is on sale at costco when the oil change is due. Lol., for the entire 175,000 miles... And never had any issues... Castrol is 0w30 and mobile is 0w40....

Think 0.5 litres every 1,000km is considered as heavy - so you're currently using less than 25% of this. Keep a regular check on the oil and top up as necessary, rather than leave it until the service.

So i shouldnt be worried. Just to add some oil every 5000kms for example. I'm wondering why the toyota service engineer didn't mention anything. Its not possible to didn't notice that from service to service is missing 1,5lt oil. I'm also thinking to extend my guarantee for another 2 years just in case. Normally it expires 10th of January 2016.

• 2 months later...

Does it really make much difference between using 0w 20 (which is recommended for my Auris 1.33 2011), and 5w 30 (which is cheaper) ?