Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Engine Oil

FROSTYBALLS

9 hours ago, Stivino said:

I have Castrol 5W 30 C2 in mine just now.  Castrol has always been a top oil.  It's on offer in Asda just now, I paid £20 for the 4 litre bottle.

Castrol Asda

Silly question. Diesel or petrol?

5 hours ago, Stivino said:

That oil is for both.  My car is a diesel.

Thank you for prompt response. I will be picking up 2 x 4 litres Castrol oil 5W30 C2 from Asda today. Thank you everyone for the inputs and helping me through it.

Okay here is an update. Changed the oil to Castrol Magnatec Start Stop 5W30 C2 along with mann Oil filter. The difference is pretty evident. Smoke have reduced, engine smoothed. I had been driving in a lot of traffic and slow moving roads so cant really comment on MPG. Did 125 miles on new oil so far.

I will keep everyone posted with oil level post 1000 miles on new oil.

Thank you everyone.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Update: Did 550 miles on new oil. Engine still drinking oil. I did couple of high RPM blast on motorway, but didnt see much of smoke. I am stumped. My mechanic says Turbo seals might have gone bad. Is it recommended to use Wynns Stop Smoke in the engine oil as recommended on previous page? Car is 2007 model with 95K miles on the clock. I dont want to spend fortune as I am thinking of selling the car in Feb.

Any suggestions?

Hi,

The oil consumption almost impossible to cure without change of important engine components, however in some cases you may be able to reduce that consumption a little bit. I personally wouldn’t use stop smoke additives in winter season, those are very thick liquids that does change oil viscosity and make engine oil thicker ., this together with lower ambient temperatures can reduce oil flow rate and cause damage to the engine internals due to lack of proper lubrication. If you kind of using an additive you can try oil stop leak from wynns or STP , those doesn’t affect oil viscosity and are safe to use in cold weather. What they does is: rejuvenate rubber and silicone seals like main seals and steam seals and if your oil consumption was caused by any of those you may see some sort of reduction if not it’s just your money spend. 
Wynn's 50664 325ml Engine Stop Leak https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0031ROB36/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_9cU0DbCEQRFMS

STP® 63300EN Engine Stop Leak 300ml https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00JAEZMLY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_leU0DbRBECE1A

If you decide to use stop smoke , just make sure you deep it in a bow with hot water for few minutes before put it into the engine, and very important engine should be at working temperature and let it idle for at least 20-30 minutes afterward and may also take it for a drive, just normal not hard. 

Regards 

• Thanks 1

• 2 years later...

I have auris 08' 2.0 d4d. Im useing Comma XTECH 5w30 engine oil. Is it okay for my engine or should i go for another one?

tnx

I’d like to add that when I put my reg number in, it lists the same oil as in the link from Frostyballs.

However, Toyota recommend that I use a C2 oil, which XTECH 5W30 isn’t.

When I search the Comma Oils website for a C2 5W30 oil, it lists their Pro-Tech range.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stivino said:

Put your reg no here and it will tell you.

For my Auris 2.0 d4d 08year it says that Pro-tech is the righ oil for me.

2 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Its 2.0 D4d mate :)

• 2 years later...

Hear me out. 

First - Does Mobil make Toyota oil?

Serious question:

What are the likely benefits of using Original Toyota Oil or (Mobils equivalent), over another brand (of the correct spec)?

E.g - Thanks to some of the heavyweights on this forum, I now use Petronas Synthium 7000 0w-20 (£33 - thank you @TonyHSD) instead of Toyota Main Dealer (£74 minimum).

What I'm asking is - Do you genuinely get a better quality oil, for double the price? What exactly do you get 'more' from the more expensive oil? Same grade - double the price. Why?

E.g - is it genuinely a higher grade? Is it more detergents? Less engine wear resulting from a superior chem formulation? Lasts longer? What is the actual real world difference?

• Like 2

Mobil has long been rumoured to be the manufacturer of Toyota engine oil, but from memory this has never been confirmed. 

I do remember seeing that Mannol was awarded a contract to supply Toyota's St Petersburg plant (now handed to the Russian State following Toyota's withdrawal in the same of the Ukraine conflict).

As far as I'm aware, dealers source their own bulk supplies of engine oil.

• Like 2

Mobile does indeed make engine oil for Toyota, even the package is the same shape and size as is the Mobil 1 own label. Not sure if there are any differences between same grade Mobil 1 and Toyota genuine engine oil. 
For Petronas 0w20 vs Toyota/Mobil 1 I think there are very similar, there are spreadsheets with extra information on opieoil website for each oil , https://www.opieoils.co.uk, price wise , anything genuine packaging will be more expensive, and regarding Mobil 1 vs Petronas, the Mobil is well known top tier brand in Europe where Petronas came late to the market and probably had price strategies how to enter the big game. Many hybrid owners are now using this oil as cheaper alternative. I just changed the oil today again, it’s my 25th 10k miles interval all with the same oil since 2016.

• Like 1

0w-20 oil is easy to find these days. Any brands are ok as long as they indeed meet the API ILSAC 6A or minimum API SN. 

Manufacturer standards such as Dexos 1 gen 3 or VW 508/509, BMW 2017FE, etc have more stringent additives and base oil requirements.

Toyota 2ZR-FXE engine is very mild to oil wear, so don’t worry too much about  which brands as long as change the oil on time. 

5w-30 is also not bad but may not the best for cold starts but they are usually much cheaper from larger market distributors. 

SN_SP_Dexos1g3_508.thumb.jpeg.d56e5f130a943756093866e1f94927ea.jpegC5_GF6_508.thumb.jpeg.1d5d2b80f5da73ce7bfc8575f7539cae.jpeg

• Like 2

I accept that brand name will affect price. 

That the difference in price between Mobil & Petronas can partially (not fully) be explained by that.

What I'm trying to get at is that, if you put that part of the equation aside (brand), what else is there between them in terms of formulation? 

17 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

even the package is the same shape and size as is the mobil 1 own label

Not quite .....

image.thumb.png.f489044b15efd101aee622dcb0f66cb8.pngimage.thumb.png.2415daa1443ec8aa8d47cb73b086292c.pngimage.thumb.png.1ab0f6a46378da53108d55b5dd8eaf50.png

This may be of use:

TGMO - Mobil 1

Again, if what he says is true, that Toyota U.S recommend Mobil 1 0w-20 as an alternative to Toyota genuine, without affecting the warranty - then it would seem its them.

So again, when 0w-20 Petronas Synthium 7000 (which I have used for 6 oil changes in total) is only £33 per 5L bottle, its got me wondering whats so different with the formulation vs Mobil 1?

Don’t worry about the engine oil specs too much. As long as you buy original oil within the recommended specifications and viscosity you will be alright with any brand or price range. The higher price of Mobil 1 not necessarily made it the best, although it makes sense to be one of the best oils available. I had experienced engine oils throughout my motoring years and Motul 5w40 A3 B4 was not as good as Shell Helix or Total, Castrol same specs oils,,. How I classify good or bad , well it is simple.
Good oils usually get darker slower, which means they can withstand higher temperatures, then engine noise, fuel consumption, when these are low means low friction, more lubrication. And then at the end oil consumption, lowest is the best.

• Like 3

On 3/8/2024 at 11:40 AM, TonyHSD said:

Don’t worry about the engine oil specs too much. As long as you buy original oil within the recommended specifications and viscosity you will be alright with any brand or price range. The higher price of Mobil 1 not necessarily made it the best, although it makes sense to be one of the best oils available. I had experienced engine oils throughout my motoring years and Motul 5w40 A3 B4 was not as good as Shell Helix or Total, Castrol same specs oils,,. How I classify good or bad , well it is simple.
Good oils usually get darker slower, which means they can withstand higher temperatures, then engine noise, fuel consumption, when these are low means low friction, more lubrication. And then at the end oil consumption, lowest is the best.

@AisinW what can the datasheets (opieoils) tell us about the differences between say Synthium 7000 0W-20 vs Mobil 1 0W-20?

(You have the ability to translate the terminology and figures, into something we can understand/digest).

21 hours ago, Kojac said:

@AisinW what can the datasheets (opieoils) tell us about the differences between say Synthium 7000 0W-20 vs Mobil 1 0W-20?

(You have the ability to translate the terminology and figures, into something we can understand/digest).

I don’t think we need to dig too deep into spreadsheets of the oil as long as is within the correct specs will be ok. Plus many of us already used this Petronas oil for years and no problems at all. For me this oil is absolute winner and if I buy another car even new I still gonna use the same brand as I am happy customer. 

• Like 3