Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Engine Oil

FROSTYBALLS

Devon Aygo has recently supplied the following information on oil requirements:

"The issues over which oils are used is caused by a European law called "Block exemption" the same law that states that manufacturers can't insist on main dealer servicing, also stops Toyota from insisting what oils are used by anyone wishing to service a car including their own dealer network. All Toyota are allowed to do is list a set of specifications that the oil used must meet they can also list a "preferred" oil. For example I have listed below the requirements Toyota have for the mkiii Prius, a car that has caused a lot of posts over the oils that have been used during servicing. This info is taken from Toyota's Service data sheet for European Prius mkiii only!

Preferred option:
0w20

Other listed options:
5w20
5w30
10w30
15w40
20w50

These grades above are listed by Toyota as they meet the following required specifications:

API grade SL or SM multigrade engine oil
API grade SL “Energy-Conserving”. SM “Energy-Conserving” or ILSAC* multigrade engine oil.

Toyota can only require the oils used meet the minimum specifications above. So long a the oil used meets the above the oil grade is not enforceable.

At present Toyota have "asked" but cannot enforce the dealer network to use the following,

Mk3 Prius, Prius plug-in, Prius +, Mk1 Auris HSD, Mk2 Auris HSD & Yaris HSD 0w20

Mk1 & Mk2 Prius 5w30

Optimal drive petrol models 0w20

Other petrol engines 5w30

Diesel engines incl Optimal drive 5w30

Diesel engines with DPF/DPNR including optimal drive 0w30 or 5w30 meeting C2 low ash

New additions

1.6 1WW & 2.0 2WW ( BMW ) 5w30 meeting C3 low Ash

1.6 DV6 & 2.0 DW10 ( PSA ) 5w30 meeting C2 low ash

• Like 1

All available from Kingo, 0w 20, 0w 30, 5w 30 PM me for prices. Please state the grade you require or let me know what model / engine type you have

Kingo :thumbsup:

• 7 months later...

Hello, Colleagues,

I'm new in you community, so sorry for "stupid" questions... :)

I have Toyota Avensis T25 2.0 85 kw. d4d 1CD-FTV. I am little confused about engine oil: two times already changed oil and it was Castrol EDGE 5w40 TD. But this oil meets specification A5/B5, however Toyota manual says, that "engine oil should match A1/B1 specification".

So, does my used Castrol oil suitable or for next change I should look for A1/B1 spec.?

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

Think that A5/B5 is a higher spec than A1/B1. A1/B1 was probably quite a high spec when your car was manufactured, but time and oils have moved on.

Have a look at: http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-789-acea.aspx

If you look at the last line of the first post, it states:

"Diesel engines with DPF including optimal drive 0w30 or 5w30 meeting C2 low ash specifications"

....................Which is what I told you in a PM AND email .........don't you believe me? :rolleyes:

• Like 1

So why in toyota woodford hills gave toyota fuel economy 5w30 A1/B1 A5/B5 and told me this is the right oil , and they dont use nothing else except for the hybrids. Should i.carry on with this oil and is there any danger for the DPF if i put this oil?!?

So why in toyota woodford hills gave toyota fuel economy 5w30 A1/B1 A5/B5 and told me this is the right oil , and they dont use nothing else except for the hybrids. Should i.carry on with this oil and is there any danger for the DPF if i put this oil?!?

You need to take that up with Hills, the correct oil if you have a DPF is 5w 30 C2 low ash.............That oil will not kill your car on a one off basis but long term, you need to be using the low ash oil. If they wont supply it, get it elsewhere!!

Kingo

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

MOD Edit

Incorrect information removed...

• 6 months later...

Hi Folks

I have a Petrol Avensis T27, 1798CC. And I need your guidance on :

1. the suitable specification for Engine Oil for my car

2. recommended Brand/s options

3. and website/store to buy it from. I am in Greater London (West)

Many thanks for your time in advance.

Best Regards

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, I drive a Toyota Avensis 1.8 2004, I usually use Castrol magnatec A1 engine oil. I just saw a offer on Halfords fully synthetic Ford spec oil, £12 for 4 litres.

http://www.halfords.com/motoring/engine-oils-fluids/engine-oil/halfords-5w30-ford-fully-synthetic-motor-oil-4l

I was thinking of stocking up on a few but just wanted to check here if the oil meets the specification for my car?

Can I use the Halfords oil to top up a engine filled with Castrol magnatec oil?

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

I have a t25 d4d. The recommended oil according to Halfords was 5w30 part synthetic. They had on offer the fully synthetic oil of the same grade. After reading a fair amount of reviews I decided to chance putting the fully synthetic oil in. Does anyone know of any long term issues this could cause or is it better long term

Sent from my iPhone using Toyota OC

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Folks

I have a Petrol Avensis T27, 1798CC. And I need your guidance on :

1. the suitable specification for Engine Oil for my car

2. recommended Brand/s options

3. and website/store to buy it from. I am in Greater London (West)

Many thanks for your time in advance.

Best Regards

Hi,

I've got mine changed a month ago in the dealership and it was 0w20. That's all I know about the oil from the documents they gave me.

The garage that has serviced my 2008 T25 D4D 2.0 Diesel for the last 3 years has used 5w30 Semi-Synthetic

• 7 months later...

According to Lancaster Toyota who were very helpful, for a D4d with DPF its mandatory to use a Low Ash oil C2 spec.

I would imagine that not using a low ash might lead to the clogging DPF and then the head problems some are seeing.

Genuine Toyota/Lexus Engine Motor Oil 5W30 PFE C2

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I have a similar question/problem. my toyota av tr25 has done 83k miles so far and I was recommended to change the oil from 5w30 to 5w40 either Fusch Supersyn or Eneol oil due to the way we use the car (15miles per day for work in town) and also its age and millage. would you agree with the change or shall I stick with the old one?

Many thanks

P

Who recommended the change?

Hi,

I am originally from Hungary and there's a website where u can get help from community and car mechanics/experts etc. Sort of "I want that car" "fifth gear" "wheeler dealer" and "top gear" mix in one but reliable...(I hope). But unfortunately very little info about Toyota cars and/or advice

• 5 months later...

Hi guys, just a quick question regarding my 2005 2.0l d4d avensis 116bhp. Ive used 5w30 for a long time now(full synthetic) ans it worked well enough. I now have 338k km on the clock and although it still drives super it seems lately that the engine is running a bit rough, should I consider changing to another viscosity oil as im due a service now?

George.

• 8 months later...

Hello to all . I have small question ? Just got  Avensis 2006 . Change oil in the engine . But chose 10W40 after I read recommendation and it should be 5W30 wil that be critical for the engine ? Should I change it now with engine flushed or I can do this at next service ? I have  petrol car   1.6 VVTI 5MT (110 HP) engine 

Should be OK

I would not worry for now, as the oil is multi grade and is one of the recommended grades. This means the higher viscosity makes the oil a bit heavier, when the temperature is below freezing. Once the engine has warmed up, everything should be fine. You may use a little more fuel during cold periods. The weather has been mild for Eire and the UK so far.

If you notice the engine being sluggish during start and the fuel economy not as good, then change the oil. You don't need to flush the engine, as the oil is fairly new and would do the same job as a flush anyway. 

I always consult the handbook (if available), or the manufactures info for the preferred oil grade. I never ask anybody who does not have written proof. My car uses 0w20 grade but everyone (including the parts guy at my local Toyota) thinks the car should use 5w30 grade, because it is common! There should be an oil grade sticker, similar to one for the air-con saying "Use 0w20 oil as Preferred".  

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links