Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Hollow Rattling On Uneven Road With Nearly New Tr

Spearfish

Ok had it in at the local Toyota dealer today. Took them for a road test and they agreed there was a noise. Front wheels came off and visual inspection carried out no issue found. I showed them the rattle if you manually slide the caliper back and forth, they said this is normal. We then tested another Toyota in the workshop that already had it wheels off no noise from this. After a bit of conservation I convinced them to investigate further. They then stripped the brakes on my car and found the nearside inner pad to be sticking slightly. This was cleaned up and a white grease was applied to the backs of the pads where they meet the piston and caliper and grease was applied to the edges of the pads where they mount on the carrier. Slider pins were inspected and tested, no issue. Nearside also had the same treatment. Once reassembly took place the calipers were manually moved from side to side, noise gone.

Drove the car home and the noise has gone. After watching the stripdown process I will change my own pads, it will be a while though as these have lots of life left.

Results all round! Noise gone and a tutorial on changing your pads. That will save a good few quid when it comes to changing them over - especially as Toyota charge about £70 just for the pads.

• 6 months later...

Hm, I've just got my Avensis from the local dealer here in Bulgaria. It had 6 km on the clock and now it has 200 km on the clock. Since the very first trip from the dealer to the gas station I've heard the same rattling noise on uneven roads. I live in an old district and we have pretty much stoneblock pavement roads and it makes me crazy I've spent 24K euro for a car that sounds like my old Fiat. It appears there is a problem with the production line for the Avensis because it looks like all of them has the same issue. I am definitely going to the dealer next week to sort that out...

Mine is 1.8 petrol.

I bought a 13 reg. Avensis (2.0l diesel) in October '13 with about 18,000km on the clock. From day one I also noticed this hollow knocking/rattle when being driven on concrete or rough suburban roads at low speeds (30/40kph). The car drives great on good motorway and well paved roads.Funny I did not notice it on the test drive.Do they dampen the noise somehow?

Anyway I bought it from a Toyota Main dealer. The sales director more or less agreed that newer model have this road noise/rattle on concrete/broken surface but they are going to have a look at it for me next week. If it turns out to be a "feature" of this car, it would put me off buying another one. Honestly I expected better of a Toyota.

I'was at the delaer today. They've told me that this is a common issue for this Avensis and it can be fixed by putting rubber bushes somewhere (I didn't remember where) in the brake calipers but they don't recommend it because it changes the effectiveness of the brakes. So I am still with the rattling. Will give it a thought in the next few weeks if I can live with it.

• 6 months later...

Have a 2011 model T27 dealer registered 2012 (62) T2 D-4D Tourer.

Purchased Jan 2014 20K on Clock ex dealer fleet car.

I am a Taxi driver, now 55k on the clock but had this rattle on O/S/F since I have owned the car but has got worse.

Took the car to my local Toyota dealer for them to investigate as car still under warranty until 100k.

They have replaced the O/S/F Top Suspension Mount, Steering Rack, Steering shaft with U/J'S, Rattle still there !!

They now want to replace the Steering Column.

Do you think I ought to mention the Brakes ?????

Pads & Discs replaced at 40k by my independent garage with Genuine Toyota parts.

Have a 2011 model T27 dealer registered 2012 (62) T2 D-4D Tourer.

Purchased Jan 2014 20K on Clock ex dealer fleet car.

I am a Taxi driver, now 55k on the clock but had this rattle on O/S/F since I have owned the car but has got worse.

Took the car to my local Toyota dealer for them to investigate as car still under warranty until 100k.

They have replaced the O/S/F Top Suspension Mount, Steering Rack, Steering shaft with U/J'S, Rattle still there !!

They now want to replace the Steering Column.

Do you think I ought to mention the Brakes ?????

Pads & Discs replaced at 40k by my independent garage with Genuine Toyota parts.

You need to put new pins especially made for the diameter of the holes of your brake calipers. There is no other cure!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys Deakin here has anyone found a cure for this rattle yet ? what about you Crofax how did you get on did you get the steering column replaced ? or did they put new slider pins in and most importantly has the noise stopped,i also get this noise its as if the front suspension is going to fall out.Its getting to be a real head melter thanks for any reply.

No joy with rattle as yet. My dealer seems to have given up. When I returned to book in for the steering column to be replaced

( I don't think that is the cause ). The service receptionist showed me an email from Toyota warranty dept stating that they were not prepared to pay the dealer for the repairs due to all the previous work they had carried out on a trial and error basis. He said he would contact Toyota and ask them where do we go from here ? With a promise to call me back within two hours with their reply. Always on another call when I have called him, we will get him to call you as soon as he is free is the reply. Four weeks on I'm still waiting. I have since contacted customer relations at Toyota. They have replied assuring me that they have emailed the service manager of the dealer in question with a request for him to contact me and discuss the matter further. That was last Thursday 28th August. I'ts now Wed 3rd Sept, No Call !!!

My independent garage have had the brakes to bits and can't find any problem with the Pins and don't think they are the problem as the rattle continues whilst braking. Airfan wrote that the only cure was for specially made pins to fit the diameter of the holes in the Brake Calipers. Surely he doesn't mean we have to have an engineering company to turn out some tighter fitting pins as opposed to original equipment,?

My car is nearly due for its 60K service. My independent garage have heard and acknowledged that the vehicle has this aggravating

rattle and are going to make a concerted effort to try and cure if not pinpoint the problem.

I will keep you posted.

If anybody else has found the cure, Please let us Know ??

Crofax

Airfan wrote that the only cure was for specially made pins to fit the diameter of the holes in the Brake Calipers. Surely he doesn't mean we have to have an engineering company to turn out some tighter fitting pins as opposed to original equipment,?

This is exactly what I mean. Make a simple test - drive on uneven road or pavement road and push the break just slightly and the sounds disappears immediately! This is the one and only test for pins failure. All pins have been produced with smaller diameter than usual and that makes the rattle sound - the caliper vibrates around the pins.

I'll screw the guarantee and will replace them soon after I get my car from the dealer. It was busted in severe hail in July and I still wait all the dents to be fixed. After this I'll replace the pins in special garage where they repair and upgrade brakes only.

That rattle makes me crazy!

I would love to think that this was the problem with the slider pins but how can such a small thing make so much noise,this happened in another car i had it was the facelift model and i put new shocks in,new steering rack, new ball joints,new anti roll bar bushings,new drop links and new rubber mounts at the top of the shocks and the noise was still there,i even put in new wishbone rubber bushings what else is there to replace? only the slider pins its bound to be worth a try but its getting them made thats going to be a problem who is going to do a job like this.

I would love to think that this was the problem with the slider pins but how can such a small thing make so much noise,this happened in another car i had it was the facelift model and i put new shocks in,new steering rack, new ball joints,new anti roll bar bushings,new drop links and new rubber mounts at the top of the shocks and the noise was still there,i even put in new wishbone rubber bushings what else is there to replace? only the slider pins its bound to be worth a try but its getting them made thats going to be a problem who is going to do a job like this.

Just to be sure - make the test with braking. If I succeed with the replacement I'll let you know and will send you a set of pins. That would be in November probably.

The pins for a T25 were about £40 per caliper IIRC

Here is cheaper.

£40 sounds cheap enough if it cures the noise i would be happy enough to pay this.

I cleaned, regreased and packed my pins with new grease and it cured the issue. I still have a rattle over uneven ground when the temperature is hot. I suspect it is the steering column bush.

Hi Alan,

Did the pins cure the problem, if so where did you get them and will they fit a T27 ?

• 1 month later...

Problem solved !!

After contacting Toyota Customer services. Local dealer contacted me and have now replaced the steering column.

noise GONE !!!!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links