Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

How Much Is It To Replace A Head Gasket?

Adam231

Hey, was on the way to work and my gen 7 celica overheated pulled over and RAC came out and said the head gasket was leaking. So i'm just wondering how much it will cost roughly, and how long it will take the mechanic to do so i can work out labour costs. Cheers

I'd get a second opinion if I were you. The HG on the Gen 7 is virtually bulletproof, whereas many owners have had to replace the radiator recently after experiencing overheating due to coolant loss from the bottom corner of the rad.

Thanks, i will definately get a second opinion.

I can only second the advice already given. Radiator are prone to failing in the bottom corners.

• 2 months later...

Have done a few head gaskets on celicas and supras and they take about 4-5 hours labour usually. Depends on if head is skimmed too, best to get skimmed if it's gone and especially if it's been driven and overheating for long. UK prices will be high unless you have your own personal mechanic. You can usually buy the head gasket kit cheaper if you buy yourself but you won't get a warranty for work then. Not sure about mk7 as I havn't had one yet. Uusally you can see if gasket has gone by checking oil cap and dipstick to see if they have gone frothy and creamy which means waters in engine then. Also water can come out of exaust but it's harder to tell in UK as it's so damp and we get condensation in exaust. If you see just a bit of froth in oil cap, don't worry as it's normally condensation, just clean it out, let engine heat up awhile and see if it comes back all frothy. Hope it's not your gasket!!!

Yep i agree too, check cap and dipstick, if they are clean, then its probably not gasket.

Check the small hose that goes into throttle body, it is only 3 inches long and it burst on mine, its easy to change, worth a look at too.

• 10 months later...

Sorry to resurrect this but I seem to have something similar with my 2002 Gen 7 Celica

Notice yesterday that the temp gauge jumped up to half-way after about ten mins driving then, after about another minute or so, shot up to overheating. I crawled home, stopping and starting after letting engine cool down a bit. Just dropped it off at my (very reputable mechanic) and at first he couldn't find anything wrong. After about ten minutes, he asked me to turn the heater on full in the car and it was blowing cold air! I thought this might be caused by an air-lock but he was doing something with the coolant reservoir and he then said it could be serious, i.e., the head gasket.

I didn't check the oil stick but I did put oil in the engine yesterday and I didn't notice any 'mayonnaise'. I really can't afford to buy a new car right now. Is she a goner? Or what are my alternative re engine replacement?

Sorry to hear about your overheating issue. I have had a few Supra and older gen Celica headgaskets done but not in the UK so have no clue what they would charge now. I recall asking the cost on a Supra over here a few years back and it was about £1000 ish. My advice is to keep checking the oil cap and coolant reservoir and also watch exaust pipe for any water leaks as it can sometimes come out of there too if you have water in your oil. If you see lots of creamy froth in your oil cap then that's probably what it is. Best to check oil cap rather than oil stick. Try and find a mechanic that dosn't charge VAT so save a bit perhaps and you can always buy a head gasket kit from a local auto parts store and that may save a few $'s. Make sure you get the head skimmed too else you could spend all the money on a new one and it will go again if head is warped! Hopefully it's just a blockage and not the gasket, it's quite possible since we just had the annual heatwave which always causes cars to over heat!

Thanks, Supra Girl.

Didn't see any froth on the cap. Am holding out for a blockage but I trust my mechanic 100% and he isn't cheap but he's a s fair as they come so it isn't looking good. A Grand? Holy Moley.....

Yes, I did. I'm just trying to balance out the above with my mech's statement of '..not looking too good'. Will wait until he calls me back.

• 3 weeks later...

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links