Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Which '06/'07 Rav4?

Apostate74

Confused.. Has that car had an engine or is it hypothetical ? If it has then don't worry about the 80K if its the right car and on budget.. You are going to struggle to get a very low mileage one at 8K ???

Thanks Adrian

The first link is the car discussed above, the second too expensive and the third is too good to be true.. No way is a 59 £8500.. unless it's been to the moon and back.. mileage not mentioned..

Cheers dude

S

Charlie - it has had the motor replaced, but has no toyota service history.. Must have been indy serviced from day one - a bit weird, though, no?

I think that if it's still there tomorrow I'll go and check it out.. I have to drive down to Milton Keynes on Wednesdays, so I'll be half way there anyway..

Ok

Just bought myself a 06 plated 2.2 xt5 with all the bits. Now just finding out about the possible engine issues.

It has 55k on the clock and is out of the 7 year warrenty and the extension appears only to go to original purchases anyway.

Bought this one as looked at FreeLander, only liked the "2" version and not in budget. Also looked verry closely at the xtrail, but the centre clocks put me off and the 08 versions reqd to get proper clocks. CRV again very nice, more car like, but if I have 4x4 I want to control it on the ecu.

one of the otrher factors that might have influnced us slightly wrongly in this case is that the "wifes car" is a toyota corrolla T-Sport, 04 plated and had it from new and has 120k on the clock with NO issues other than brake disks and 1 caliper.

Ok

Just bought myself a 06 plated 2.2 xt5 with all the bits. Now just finding out about the possible engine issues.

It has 55k on the clock and is out of the 7 year warrenty and the extension appears only to go to original purchases anyway.

Bought this one as looked at FreeLander, only liked the "2" version and not in budget. Also looked verry closely at the xtrail, but the centre clocks put me off and the 08 versions reqd to get proper clocks. CRV again very nice, more car like, but if I have 4x4 I want to control it on the ecu.

one of the otrher factors that might have influnced us slightly wrongly in this case is that the "wifes car" is a toyota corrolla T-Sport, 04 plated and had it from new and has 120k on the clock with NO issues other than brake disks and 1 caliper.

Not that it matters in your case but the extended "good will" warranty applies to any owner not just the original purchaser of the vehicle....

Its reasonable yo assume that all Toyota's have massive reliability but the 2AD engine is just an unfortunate one .. That said tell me another manufacturer that has ever taken the steps in extending a warranty to 7 years..

You have obviously bought your car without doing the homework first but that is exactly what I did when I bought the T180 over two years ago.. I too just thought ah well its a Toyota it will be just fine.. Never again will I make such assumptions.

Ok

I guess the way forward to be to check (somehow) whether or not Toyota have replaced the motor in your car.. If so you can heave a sigh of relief and move on..

If not then I'd start saving up for a rainy day.. You could try getting a warranty scheme to cover it.. but the couple I've looked at will not cover Rav4s made 2006 onwards..

Or just flog it - but not to me ;)

I, by the way, just spoke to a dealer who had full service history for a Rav they were selling but did not know if the motor had been changed.. Is there any official way of discovering if Toyota have given the car a heart transplant?

I know some guys on here can get the info for specific cars, but it would be a massive imposition to expect such for each car I look at, given that it is the primary requisite for selection..

The car I was going to look at today, btw, was sold this morning. If anybody wants to know what actual ambivalence feels like I can tell them.. Relieved and gutted at the same time.

Shopping for Rav4s turns out to be an extreme sport..

Same old Mate.. Soon as you find one there will bet better ones for less coin....... Not sure how desperate you are for a car but its worth hanging on till the right car pops up.. Good luck with it !

Hi charlie, just found this post. We bought a 2007 t180 last week and absolutely love it but on reading this its scared the s##t out of me. How do I go about finding out if the engine has been replaced and if it hasn't will toyota replace it with it only being five and a half years old? We've just sold our vw touareg 3.0 v6 tdi and replaced it with the rav because of high running costs. I did have a warranty with warranty wise, who are in my opinion excellent. I'm about to transfer that to the rav so do we have to wait for the engine to blow or would toyota replace it as a good will gesture, regards Darren.

Hi charlie, just found this post. We bought a 2007 t180 last week and absolutely love it but on reading this its scared the s##t out of me. How do I go about finding out if the engine has been replaced and if it hasn't will toyota replace it with it only being five and a half years old? We've just sold our vw touareg 3.0 v6 tdi and replaced it with the rav because of high running costs. I did have a warranty with warranty wise, who are in my opinion excellent. I'm about to transfer that to the rav so do we have to wait for the engine to blow or would toyota replace it as a good will gesture, regards Darren.

First question.... Go to your Dealer and ask them.. They will tell you if your engine has been replaced...

If you have a 2007 then its still covered by the Toyota "Good will" extended warranty until its seven years old so monitor carefully the oil consumption...

The rest is all here.. Its a long thread now but read it and come back if you cannot understand or find a question that is not answered ??

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/132178-charliefarlies-guide-to-the-toyota-2ad-diesel-engine-and-its-issues/

Your car is still within that 7 years... Toyota will not replace an engine unless it qualifies as set out in the linked thread... HTH...

How do I go about finding out if the engine has been replaced and if it hasn't will toyota replace it with it only being five and a half years old? We've

Just go to your dealer and get them to check the history on the car as Charlie has said

This is a goodwill policy from Toyota, not all engines fail. If your engine does not show signs of heavy oil consumption, then it will not be replaced for the sake of it, there is a strict criteria to be met

Kingo :thumbsup:

Aye.....looks like Davrav not the only nutter in Gloucestershire.

I've said it before - madness is simply a state of mind :Jumpy:

• Like 2

I thought it was just me - and what is a Toyota Alex?

I thought it was just me - and what is a Toyota Alex?

Don't know, Tommy........

many thanks Charlie and Kingo, called in at our local toyota dealers today and they were very helpful. They told me there have been issues with this engine and to keep an eye on coolant and oil levels, if the oil level drops dramatically take it jn and they will top up and check it after 1,000 miles. He assured me that if there was a problem they would replace the engine within the 7 year warranty. So he logged all my deatails and told me any problems give him a call. Great service and peace of mind.

• Like 1

Hi again, checked my oil and coolant levels today. Oil clean as wnistle as it was serviced on 21/5/13 but guess what, the coolant level was down to about 20 mm. Lower than the LOW level and pink residue all over the top of the chamber. What should I do as we are towing our caravan to Anglesey first thing sunday morning. I have topped it up and will keep my eye on it.

Hi again, checked my oil and coolant levels today. Oil clean as wnistle as it was serviced on 21/5/13 but guess what, the coolant level was down to about 20 mm. Lower than the LOW level and pink residue all over the top of the chamber. What should I do as we are towing our caravan to Anglesey first thing sunday morning. I have topped it up and will keep my eye on it.

Happy new engine, Darren.........must say I would feel pretty vulnerable just using the car, but towing a caravan with a gubbered cylinder head.....? Riskful.....

thanks for the reply Kev, I'm gutted as we've just had a towbar fitted at £300. And really looking forward to our hols. We do have RAC recovery so we will have to take a chance I think, just glad I called into toyota yesterday and logged our details with them. We bought a toyota because of the renowned reliability, perhaps we should have stayed with vw.

thanks for the reply Kev, I'm gutted as we've just had a towbar fitted at £300. And really looking forward to our hols. We do have RAC recovery so we will have to take a chance I think, just glad I called into toyota yesterday and logged our details with them. We bought a toyota because of the renowned reliability, perhaps we should have stayed with vw.

Had you stayed with VW, and their problems are well documented on injectors and electrical probs, you would be invited to self copulate, Darren. Name one maker who has extended their warranty on an acknowledged cock up of their own making.....? Good luck on the hols.

• Like 1

True, just feeling a little hacked off at the moment. I don't know if I should go back to toyota tomorrow and see what their advice would be.

True, just feeling a little hacked off at the moment. I don't know if I should go back to toyota tomorrow and see what their advice would be.

Darren,

Do you have Club Toyota membership? If so then you'll have good roadside assist, courtesy car, hotel if necessary, etc. Plus the AA will trailer the car & van to Mr. T to sort out the engine should it go bang at the innoportune time. It won't magic the failure away, if it happens, but it will make it a hell of a lot more palatable.

If you don't have it, go join now (dealer or on-line, I think, as well). Between that & Mr.T's goodwill on the engine, you'll be as well covered as you can be and, as BK (Sage of the North) has said there isn't a manufacturer around who does customer service as well as Mr.T. We've had our last 6 cars from Toyota and I can't fault the service.

are you sure the cap is on tightly. till it clicks.

Keith

• Like 1

Hi Keith, it seems to be coming out of the small plastic pipe/tube just below and to the rear of the filler cap.

are you sure the cap is on tightly. till it clicks.

Keith

Good check, Keef......

Hi Keith, it seems to be coming out of the small plastic pipe/tube just below and to the rear of the filler cap.

Oops.....that's the wan........Darren min.....stay focussed on the future........wait until you feel how it pulls when the NEW one goes in.....

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links