Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Puncture Safe For Toyota Iq Tyres ?

bobkneale

Oh dude, you have no idea how prophetic your words are!

Today I noticed I had a puncture! "Well Cyker chap, it's lucky you had that puncturesafe stuff in yer tyres!" you might think!

But no, it was a 1 inch long RIGHT IN THE SHOULDER of the tyre! :blowup:

I only noticed it because I was doing the tyre-pressures-and-oil-level checks I always do before a long journey (200 mile round trip to take my bro home!) so smeg knows how long it had been sticking out there! Very little air was leaking out and the tyre was down to 32psi from the 35 I normally run it at, but that might have just been the cold day...

Anyhoo, this served as a nice learning experience with getting the tyre changed (Well, once I found a place open on a Sunday at 15:00!).

Good news: The tyre fitter really doesn't need to worry about the goop as, even sideways, it doesn't drip down fast enough to be a problem.

I warned the guy about the sealant and that it was recommended to deflate the tyre before taking it off and he did so.

Had a bit of trouble breaking the bead because bits of puncturesafe around the bead kept trying to glue it back :lol:, but once off it didn't leak even a little bit!

Had a look in the tyre, took some piccys because I thought you lot might be interested too!

You can see how the blue goop has formed a concentrated band around the tread area of the tyre but very little has made it outside that band. The layer is about 2-3mm thick and it is very clingy; It doesn't flow that readily so there isn't much danger of the stuff going everywhere and messing up their equipment.

post-71167-0-58206000-1384116322_thumb.j

post-71167-0-30729300-1384116335_thumb.j

post-71167-0-33173100-1384116347_thumb.j

Oh dude, you have no idea how prophetic your words are!

Today I noticed I had a puncture! "Well Cyker chap, it's lucky you had that puncturesafe stuff in yer tyres!" you might think!

But no, it was a 1 inch long RIGHT IN THE SHOULDER of the tyre! :blowup:

Sorry for being "prophetic": didn't mean to be!

Apart from being naturally glass-half-empty, I also know that I've had many punctures over the years with below average size tyres and hardly any with those on my larger cars and why I bought a couple of spares wheels and new tyres for the iQ off a guy whose wife had swapped the alloys on her brand new iQ almost immediately for something that she liked (bargain at about £70 each).

Great educational pictures re the blue "gloop".

Yeah, it's funny as it looks like loads of the stuff is injected when it's put in, but as you can see from the photos it's spread to such a thin even layer that it looks like there's hardly any in there! :lol:

Well Cyker, I have been wondering about the Puncture Safe inside my tyres and how it spreads itself out etc,, your pictures have answered a few of my questions including the one's related to any potential complaints from tyre fitters when it's time to change my tyres.

So many thanks for that !

On a slightly seperate note, I keep checking my tyre pressures and have noticed that since Puncture Safe has been fitted that I have a "zero" loss of pressure where before there was a slight loss over time, I guess it has possibly sealed the rim fit to a more perfect seal than it was before ?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links