Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Toyota Yaris 06 High Oil Consumption And Ticking Noise When Changing G

rosiew16

Hi, I wonder if anyone might be able to identify the possible problem with my Yaris 06. It has been on high oil consumption for over a year, probably about 1 litre every 1000 miles. There is also a small ticking type noise from the engine when I change gear but usually only between 1st and 2nd gear, although it may just be that I can't hear it at higher gears due to speed.

It has been in and out of the garage checking it and they can't find any leaks or anything obviously wrong with it. The exhaust does blow smoke (blue/grey) but only at very high revs.

They have suggested it might be the piston rings.

Does anyone have any other ideas?

Which model do you have Rosie ? We need a bit more info in order to try & help .....

Its a Toyota Yaris 06 plate, 998cc engine, Petrol, Manual, Export marker: N.

Hope thats enough info?

Thanks, that does help.

Sounds to me that the engine might have had a hard life before you got it ? Quite often these cars can be used as a second 'worker' machine & aren't always treated well. If the car has a high mileage & the service history is patchy that would support a tired engine theory. When was it serviced last ?

Yeh that sounds about right - I got it 1.5 years ago and there was no logged service history but at 60,000 miles (and bought from a dealer with a clean, no advisory MOT) I thought it may be ok. I serviced it in December and all seemed ok - no advisories on the MOT again.

It probably has had a bit of a battering - the stilletto hole in the carpet next to the clutch says a lot!!

Any idea what might be causing this noise and high oil consumption?

Although that level of oil consumption is not unheard of these days, it does suggest that is has been thrashed by the 1st owner - probably due to it's limited power for overtaking. The ticking noise used to be a sign of worn or poorly adjusted tappets, but is more likely to be down to the valve system now. If the garage have given it the all-clear, then they've probably just put it down to wear & tear.

Ok thanks. The garage have had it for a week and as its under Warranty, I am pushing for them to find the problem. They think it might be the piston rings which they say could mean a new engine so just wondered if this was really necessary or if it could be something else!

It's possible (but unlikely) to need a replacement engine, especially if it has been used hard & not serviced regularly. I honestly think the valve system is more likely to be causing this ticking noise, as I drove a company BMW with the VANOS valve system for a while. It would tick at idle when cold & then at low speeds until it warmed up. Does that sound at all familiar ?

It seems to tick most when changing gear at low speeds i.e. 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear. It may well tick at higher gears but like I said, I can't hear it. I haven't heard it ticking on idle as yet. Thanks for your help, will see what verdict the garage gives. Its nice to have some advice though as no-one else seems to know whats wrong - everyone just assumes its a gasket!

You`re welcome - hope it`s fixed soon for you.

• 3 weeks later...

Is this fixed already???? what was the problem??

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links