Do Not Sell My Personal Information

4.2 Vs 4.3 Off Road

Uncle_P

As I understand it, the 4.2 has 50/50 4x4 all the time. But what about the 4.3? I've got grabber AT tyres on my 4.2 and it will go pretty much anywhere. Is the 4.3 as capable in the mud? I'd be curious to hear from members who have had both. When it comes to replacing my current car, I'd be looking for a petrol 4.3, but not if its no use on farm tracks and wet grass. How does the ground clearance and wading depth compare? 400mm is the official depth for the 4.2, but I've pushed my luck a few times because I know the air intake is high. If the 4.3 won't do the job, I might have to consider a newish vitara.. But to be honest I'd rather stick with Mr T.

Any thoughts chaps?

I have both - 2002 4.2 2.0 D4D and 2007 4.3 2.2 T180. I can say for sure - 4.2 is more capable off road, might be because of it's full time 4x4. Biggest problem for 4.3 is winters - while 4x4 kicks in - you are already stuck in deep snow. And if you try to start driving on snow, first front wheels start spinning and dig deeper into snow and then rear kicks in, but its too late.

On 4.2 all four wheels start spinning at the same time, you have more grip and can get out of snow... I bought my 4.3 this january and the snow was about 40cm, so with 4.3 I got stuck a lot. No problems with 4.2 tho.

In mud - both seem to be equal. Only ASR on 4.3 can be annoying - it lowers the revs when you try to get out of mud... sometimes it helps, sometimes not.

About ground clearance - in standard 4.3 is 1cm higher than 4.2. But i have 235/65r17 on 4.2 so its ~ 2.5cm higher than standard.

Sorry, my english isn't good

Hmmm, I think there are a few people who regard the 4.3 as very good in snow, I haven't had chance to try mine in any yet. I did pull a broken down Defender 90 out of a wet field though! Wading depth is 500mm.

Couple of winters ago I managed to stall my 4.3 in foot deep snow on a sharp left hand turn onto a steep [probably 30 degrees]incline. Re-started, pressed the 'Lock' and let it climb out on anti stall revs. No problem at all.

I have both - 2002 4.2 2.0 D4D and 2007 4.3 2.2 T180. I can say for sure - 4.2 is more capable off road, might be because of it's full time 4x4. Biggest problem for 4.3 is winters - while 4x4 kicks in - you are already stuck in deep snow. And if you try to start driving on snow, first front wheels start spinning and dig deeper into snow and then rear kicks in, but its too late.

On 4.2 all four wheels start spinning at the same time, you have more grip and can get out of snow... I bought my 4.3 this january and the snow was about 40cm, so with 4.3 I got stuck a lot. No problems with 4.2 tho.

In mud - both seem to be equal. Only ASR on 4.3 can be annoying - it lowers the revs when you try to get out of mud... sometimes it helps, sometimes not.

About ground clearance - in standard 4.3 is 1cm higher than 4.2. But i have 235/65r17 on 4.2 so its ~ 2.5cm higher than standard.

Sorry, my english isn't good

There's nothing wrong with your english! Thanks for answering my questions.

Couple of winters ago I managed to stall my 4.3 in foot deep snow on a sharp left hand turn onto a steep [probably 30 degrees]incline. Re-started, pressed the 'Lock' and let it climb out on anti stall revs. No problem at all.

So when you press lock, is the power spread evenly front and back? That would make it the same as my 4.2 is all the time. Can the lock be engaged at any road speed or do you need to stop? Does the lock only work under a certain speed?

• Like 1

I was going to say, 4.3 has a diff lock button. I can't remember about the 4.2.

So when you press lock, is the power spread evenly front and back? That would make it the same as my 4.2 is all the time. Can the lock be engaged at any road speed or do you need to stop? Does the lock only work under a certain speed?

It should be like that, but in reality, front wheels always start spinning first and only about a second later rear kicks in, but in the snow, by that time, front wheels already has digged in and you are stuck. there is no such thing with 4.2.

Lock can be engaged whenever you want, it only works till about 25mph and turns off automatically. You don't need to stop to turn it on. Only annoying thing is, you have to re enable lock if you accidentally exceed 25mph when offroading.

As i noticed, 4.3 doesn't have full time 4x4 with or without lock button pressed. Rear kicks in later than front - lock or no lock.

But in overall driving comfort an power - 4.3 is much better. Not so capable off road but on the road, its one hell of a car.

It's better on gravel than 4.2 because of it's ESP.

I had a 4.2 through two mild winters so never really tested it in bad weather, the 4.3's we have had have been very good in deep snow

I live north of Newcastle and have had no issues in snow in our 4.3 2.2 xt4. I always press lock before pulling away in snow never ever had an issue. Also tried getting stuck in a few very muddy fields (one time mud upto middle of wheels with an LC on standby to help) on purpose an didnt get stuck. Same approach as snow as top gun said "lock on".

Two winters of snow my 4.3 D4D never slipped once.

NB on the 4.3 the 4x4 is engaged every time you pull away and falls back to front wheel drive as you gain speed.

Never needed the push the diff lock button (yet!)

Dave

4.3 is quite capable of matching a 4.2 if it is working right. It has a very clever 4WD system and the lock button would only normally be needed if you were stuck in a drift. The rest of the time it is automatic.

.........and there is no need to select lock-up from rest, as the 4.3 always takes away in 4WD anyway.......kinda begs the question whit's the lock button there for, coz I forget.....? Have only experienced snow in my previous SR180 in the woeful 2010/2011 ice and snow, and if the delay is as much as one second (less?) between front wheels losing traction and the rear electric clutch clicking in, so be it......it behaved impeccably.

Big Kev.

• Like 1

I have both cars Bill, the 4.2 in Spain does a superb job on all surfaces, wet or gravel. The 4.3 as the other guys say will give 4x4 when needed, where as the 4.2 is permanent 4x4, and less economical as a result. I personally prefer the ride quality of the 4.2, it is softer, and having just done the driving "cruise" through France back to Spain, with 6 hours or so each day in the car, I appreciated the comfort!!

Diff lock or no diff lock the 4.3 is in 4WD EVERY time you pull away from stationary so can't understand how you are spinning the front wheels... System also detects wheel slip in milliseconds so again how are you spinning up ???

I towed a trailer loaded with over two tonnes of scaffold up a steep muddy farm track which was wet and slippy with no problems at all in my T180 .. Lets not forget that the big influence on the capability and how a vehicle reacts is the spanner behind the wheel ......

So with decent tyres, the 4.3 would be pretty sure footed.. Add to this a full size spare on the back and it's starting to look promising!

So with decent tyres, the 4.3 would be pretty sure footed.. Add to this a full size spare on the back and it's starting to look promising!

Absolutely !!....................

Diff lock or no diff lock the 4.3 is in 4WD EVERY time you pull away from stationary so can't understand how you are spinning the front wheels... System also detects wheel slip in milliseconds so again how are you spinning up ???

I towed a trailer loaded with over two tonnes of scaffold up a steep muddy farm track which was wet and slippy with no problems at all in my T180 .. Lets not forget that the big influence on the capability and how a vehicle reacts is the spanner behind the wheel ......

:laughing: ....kinda what I was driving at!!!