Do Not Sell My Personal Information

White Powder Coming From Air Vents

chiefchappers

Hi,

Over the last few months I’ve noticed a very small amount of white power-like substance coming out of my cabin air vents. I thought it was just dust.

However, on Friday I started the engine and a substantial and continuous amount of powder was emitted. It eventually stopped.

I took it to a Toyota dealer who replaced the pollen filter. I'd already cleaned up the mess, so they were not able to examine the powder first hand. They blew through the system and could not see any evidence.

Now, the problem continues. It's not as heavy as Friday, but much worse than it was originally.

I've read something about an anti-mildew coating which is applied to the fins of the fan in the Evaporator unit; which perishes and breaks off.

Does anyone know what is causing this fault? More importantly, is the powder dangerous or damaging to my health??

I've seen mention of this issue before on the forum, but it was some while back. An anti-mildew coating sounds a perfectly reasonable theory tbh.

I think this is something only a Toyota dealer can answer definitively. If anyone knows for sure they will, but I wonder whether they would be reluctant to volunteer the info if there is a problem.

You didn't buy the car from a cocaine dealer did you ? :oops:

• Like 3

Thanks for the replies guys.

I had my head gasket done about 20 months ago due to the known water pump failure. It was done under Toyota warranty.

Earlier this year when my engine light came on the dealer was concerned that my engine needed replacing again. But nothing came of it.

I'm suspicious!

Hi,

Over the past few weeks, I have also noticed white powder blowing out of air-vents on my 2009 Auris 1.33 TR, about 32k miles.

Initially thought it was just the cabin filter, replaced to no avail, then read about air-cond fin corrosion + potentially associated with failing water-pump.

I have only just checked my coolant level after seeing this and the recommended thread, the level is only slightly (about 2mm) above the 'low' line.

Is this likely the same cause? I will try calling Toyota dealer tomorrow - the car is close to 4 yrs old now, are they likely to cover part of the cost and if not what kind of cost should I expect?

Thanks.

At the time I posted this topic - http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/142478-coolant-loss-white-dust-on-inside-of-dash/?hl=%2Bwhite+%2Bpowder - I didn't know whether the 'chiefchappers' has a diesel or petrol Auris (looks like he has a diesel).

The head gasket issues only affected the D4D engines - not the petrol.

Three separate items there. Water pump is something on its own. Failure or otherwise won't affect the heater matrix as such. The air con evaporator (the bit that gets cold in the heater box) only has refrigerant flowing in it and so no connection to the pump. If it has a coating that is problematic then that again would be an issue all of its own with no contributory factors. The heater matrix could conceivably get deposits on it if it were leaking (from the hot engine coolant that circulates in it) and that would cause the level of coolant to fall. I haven't personally heard of any pump issues on the 1.33. Also I think the coolant high and low marks are really close together on the reservoir from memory, or is one marking hot and the other cold. Can't just remember without looking.

I can confirm I have the D4D Diesel engine. I'll be going back to the dealer Saturday morning to show them the white powder all over my interior. I'll report back here with any news..

I too had the small white particles in my car but I only noticed them in the cup holders when i opened them, I cleaned them on a regular basis but after a week or so the white particles were back, I also had the stinky musty smell fron the A/C system, I bought an A/C conditioner aerosol from "UK Discount" for £1 complete with tube ( had to be woth a try for a quid ) I followed the instructions on the can and after 1 hour i had a pleasant smelling A/C system, after a week I noticed the white particles had not retuned and still not evident after a month, so I think it is the A/C causing this problem, try it and I hope it solves it for you.

ps, i went back and purchased 4 more aerosols! a similar product is about £9 in Halfords.

Hi,

Thank you all for the reply so far. I am relieved that it is unlikely to be water pump or engine head gasket, that leaves me with peeling coating on A/C evaporator or a weeping leak on the heating matrix causing corrosion. I initially though it might just be dirt dislodging in the hot weather (the car is parked under the sun during workhours). However, the amount of powder, while far from a snowstorm, still appeared to be unusual and some do get on dash and seat even with low fan speed, albeit only noticeably blowing out of the vent in the first 20 seconds or so (it would happen again the next time the fan is operated say 8 hours later).

I contacted the dealer but they are not aware of such issues with 1.33 TR - initially suggested changing pollen filter, then asked to bring the car in for inspection. I decided not to for now as I rely on the car for 40-mile work commute without access to alternative mode of transport.

The coolant level is noticeably closer to the "low" line - the difference between the lines is about 8mm and the level is about 1-2 mm above low when engine cold. I will continue to monitor the level.

I bought radweld plus and added half a bottle. I will observe over the weekend, using only the heater or fan mode only. If it improves, I will then attempt to use the cooling A/C. Hopefully this will help indicate if it is the peeling A/C or a weeping heating matrix.

Will report back.

Yes, it will be interesting to know how you get on. Another mad (really mad) thought... spiders ? well I think its spiders, can leave quite a fluffy dusty deposit... don't ask how I know... but they do. Nothing living in the vents or heater box ? Clutching at straws I know.

How about a picture of this stuff, say a close up of a vent.

Another more practical thought and idea... place a tray under the evaporator drain and run the AC for a few minutes to allow some water to collect. The water should be pure condensation. Let it evaporate and see if any white stuff remains.

Also the evaporator by its nature is wet through in use and probably remains like that over many many hours due to being enclosed. Its hard to see how any "powder" could collect there and be mobile enough to be blown out of the vents.

Went back to the dealer today. Their theory is that the powder is from a previous air con clean.....not sure myself. Cleaned out cabin. I will monitor the situation from now on. Hmmmmm.

Guess you'll just have to see how it goes. Its either something they have come across before or just a wild guess...

Hi,

After observing through the weekend, using only heater and no A/C, the powder is noticeably reduced.

I then tried A/C and it seemed to have generated more. I will now go for one whole week without A/C just to be sure. Looking back, it does seem to have started with me using the A/C when the weather turned warmer.

I don't have a photo when it was worst, I have attached one a few hours after I vacuumed it clean then using the A/C for about 20 minutes to show the dust. The appear to be different from normal dust being slightly larger and "whiter" and if I roll one blob onto a surface or between finders it will spread out to be finer powder. I am leaning towards peeling coating on the A/C fins...

Spider theory is novel - I can live with not using the A/C on a 30 degree summer day - but crawlies emerging from the air vent while cruising at 70 is a whole new level !

I did a search on google/youtube for auris evaporator drain but could not find it - if someone could point me to where to locate the evap drain on auris 1.33 it would be much appreciated.

Thank you all.

post-133372-0-16680200-1375815096_thumb.

I'd say your photo looks exactly like mine, albeit less power (I appreciate you have cleaned it). I used an aircon cleaning canister on Monday and I will monitor further. Still not convinced.

That's very interesting. What fan speeds do you use on the A/C ? (not that that should make any difference). If you look into the dash vents can you actually see any build of this white stuff ?

The evaporator drain is somewhere in the general area under where the glovebox would be. After a run with AC on you should see water dripping from underneath where the tube is.

(I'll be honest with you now and I don't want to confuse the issue... but those larger white flecks of stuff are something I have noticed on mine on very very rare occasions, but we are talking literally three or four individual specks on an otherwise perfectly clean dust free surface. They certainly show up though but what was weird in my case is that they seemed to appear overnight. I wondered at the time if it was something from the headlining disintegrating etc. Sorry, that's probably really muddying the waters but having seen your picture...)

OK, back to yours. If this is coming from the evaporator then it will be common to all vents. This is why I wonder if you can observe it looking into the front dash vents. Do you see it on the floor ? Do you use the window demist vent ? Could it be some jointing material in the vent pipe work or insulation that affects just the demist vent ?

I had a close look at mine today. White fleck of the sort I mentioned above close to the demist vent and a close up of the r/h dash vent. The camera is more revealing than the eye here but there does seem evidence of white deposits. I think the forums resized the pics too so detail is lost.

Edit... full size if you click them :)

post-57576-0-75969800-1375870865_thumb.j

post-57576-0-26043400-1375870882_thumb.j

Hi,

After thorough vacuuming in the weekend and using only the fan this week, there is still some white powder on dash despite re-vacuuming on Tuesday.

They look similar to the photos - a few larger (about 1mm) speckles can appear. They will appear on whichever vents relevant to the chosen fan mode, and mostly on dash when blowing on windscreen vent. Typical fan speed is lowest or second lowest, except when vacuuming when I set it to a higher level to push more out.

Coolant level seemed ok - may have dropped ever so slightly but putting it down to imagination for now and will continue to monitor.

I'm at a loss to suggest what this could be although I'm tending perhaps toward some kind of insulation material that is less than stable, but I really don't know. To me, the evaporator is too wet a place for any powdery material like this to be free and mobile.

• 2 weeks later...

Any updates on this? My 2010 avensis estate has it. It's quite bad. I ll post pics at some stage as I have just cleaned it.

Hi, exactly two weeks ago, I added the remaining half of the leak sealer into coolant, ran the heater on full at least 5 minutes everyday and never used the A/C.

The last time I vacuumed was 7 days ago and as of today there is no noticeable powder. Engine coolant had not dropped since topping up (adding all the leak sealer was enough to bring it back to the full line). Not sure if adding the remaining sealer made the difference or if it was residual clearing up in the past three weeks. So far, actions taken are adding the sealer and not using A/C at all.

I am unsure if there had been a weep that caused minor corrosion to the heating matrix. I am also unsure if the engine coolant level being on the low line before this suggested some kind of weep or if that was just natural rate of coolant 'consumption' - about 40k miles so far.

The past 35k miles it had never missed a beat and the past two summers it had not produced any such powder. For me it does seem to coincide with the recent heat wave and A/C being used extensively (and the heater not touched for a couple of months). If it remains clear over the next few weeks, I will start using the A/C again to rule one or the other out. Mine is a 1.33 petrol.

After doing a web search it seems it could be a problem with the evaporator - the dust is thought to be aluminium oxide or similar. The second 'babybmw' link seems to quote from a BMW service bulletin, and highlights Denso evaporators as a problem. Who makes the evaporators for the Auris?

See the following links to US forums:

http://www.babybmw.net/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=29432

http://www.babybmw.net/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=16688

http://www.fordedgeforum.com/topic/5231-white-powder-coming-from-vents/

http://questiontrack.com/white-powder-coming-out-of-air-vents-when-air-con-on-what-could-this-be-524913.html

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/topic/52572-white-powder-from-heater-vent/

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-second-generation/589171-white-dust-from-vents.html

Since I used the air-con clean canister spray, the white powder drastically reduced and has now stopped. Whether the spray has dampened down the powder and is just masking the issue, I do not know. Again I shall monitor further.