Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2010 Yaris D4D Problem

///MAZI

Driving along in my 2010 Toyota Yaris 1.4 D4D after a 30 mile motorway trip the engine started to rev by itself. I pulled over and switched the engine off. Tried starting but would not start straight away but started after 4 or 5 turns but the engine sounded clattery. checked the oil level and it was a fair bit over max which is not possible as it was bang on the day before.

Called AA who send a recovery company and the guy didnt seem like he knew much about mechanics as he didnt even know what a DPF was. Anyway he reckoned the oil level was up because diesel had got into the oil and recovered me back home.

Started the engine from cold and it sounded fine?

Any ideas???

How high did the revs go? Possibly was trying to do a regen?

Alex

I've got a 2012 d4d but I did have a 2010 d4d before. I had exactly the same prob with my previous car and now my current car is displaying the same symptoms. I'm in the dealership now. The problem is, the injectors leak fuel into the sump which explains your oil level. This if not sorted, causes extensive damage which resulted in a new short block being fitted. Warranty covered it by only with proof of service history. It also caused the turbo to stop working. New turbo required also. I've detected the prob quickly this time so hopefully no damage done. Please note. TOYOTA ARE AWARE OF THIS PROBLEM. My friend had the same prob with his 2010 model which caused the engine to blow up on the motorway. Sorry for the scary reply but you need to get the injectors checked ASAP. Good luck

You need to take the car to a Toyota dealer. It could be the sign of injector leak which will cause severe engine damage is left unchecked

This will be covered under extended warranty if that is the cause

Kingo :thumbsup:

EDIT, Sorry post number 3 arrived about the same time I was posting!

Edited by Parts-King

Thanks for the replies

Its a late 2010 60 plate so still less than 3 years old and under 100k miles. Also has 5 year warranty.

What is the fix for this?

New injectors or just seals?

I take it they will change the contaminated oil under warranty as well?

Will I get a courtesy car?

You need to take it to your dealer and discuss all the symptoms, they will see what is needed, probably injectors and seals, including oil change. They should be able to loan a car but you must check that locally, nobody on here could tell you that

Got a loan car free through the AA.

Forgot I had it on my membership

Got the car back from Toyota today.

They said they have changed the oil & filter and I should drive it for 500 miles and then bring it back for further investigation

They will be monitoring the oil situation

I'm wondering if it could also be to do with the DPF.

I've read on a few cars on Honest John, some have had raised oil levels after the ECU recognised the DPF needed a regen. In some cases the extra fuel gets past the piston rings & into the oil, contaminating it. Sounds common on Vauxhall/Fiat 1.3 CDTI/Multijet engines & also the Mazda 2.2 motors - a Mazda 6 had 8.5 litres of 'oil' drained from the sump.

Fortunately for the OP, it didn't result in a hard to stop runaway. Keep us posted on Toyota's findings.

I will update soon.

i have almost done the 500 miles that the dealer asked me to before bringing it back for further investigation.

I dont know if its in my head but the engine does seem slightly more vocal at times.

Oil level is fine and seems to be driving fine.

Should not be a DPF issue as Toyota has updated my ECU previously so that the glow plug light comes on if its not doing a re-gen when it should.

• 3 weeks later...

***OK LATEST UPDATE***

More diesel contamination in the oil after approx 400 odd miles.
Toyota had it for a week this time.
They changed oil and filter again, reflashed the ecu and done a dpf regen apparantly.
The guy said the dpf is not regenerating and that's why I'm getting diesel in the oil.
They want to check it again in a week which is about now.

***OK LATEST UPDATE***

More diesel contamination in the oil after approx 400 odd miles.

Toyota had it for a week this time.

They changed oil and filter again, reflashed the ecu and done a dpf regen apparantly.

The guy said the dpf is not regenerating and that's why I'm getting diesel in the oil.

They want to check it again in a week which is about now.

Have you had the injectors tested? I had a similar problem caused by leaking injectors

• 6 months later...

Hi All,

Have been having this problem since November 2012 - when the car was 10 months old.

Have a look at the history in "Yaris Diesel - How Many Mpg" on this forum, most of the detail is there.

I paid the premium call rate to call their technical experts, and he asked me to return the car so they could upload the ecu data for him

On the 12th Feb this year, I took the car back so their "expert" could upload data from the ecu for analysis.

Not heard a word since. Completely ignored - both by Toyota customer services and the dealership.

Still continuing to get diesel in the sump, DPF regen probably averages once per 100 miles instead of once per 350 miles.

Still can't get dealers to believe this is a problem - I kept getting told the car is "perfect".

Called customer service again today & told them my latest grumbles - and explained that in my opinion their treatment of me, a customer, is a disgrace.

• 1 month later...

BIG NEWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Finally, after much phoning and complaining to Toyota Customer Services/Toyota Technical & my local dealership - they think they have found the cause of my problem,
and are allegedly fixing it today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This has only taken 16 MONTHS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :chair:

To Recap:-

DPF regenerating an average every 150 miles (instead of 3 to 4 HUNDRED). Sump level INCREASING, this is DIESEL fuel getting into the sump. SPANNER service light continually flashing

The fault was traced when they found an imbalance between the input and output pressure on the DPF. These pressures should (so they said) be close, on mine the exit pressure was hugely reduced. Ergo, the DPF is inundated with fuel it can't burn, and it finds it way back to the sump. Also, because of this the regen NEVER fully successful and doesn’t fully clean out the DPF. Thus causing and increase in frequency of regenerations.

The spanner light is driven by a sensor, which by now is saturated with diesel - and will ALWAY report oil degradation. This sensor is apparently being replaced as part of the repair.

To cure this problem, they are replacing the DPF, and have been doing so for the last 3 days. This is, I am told, a very expensive repair.

I have just contacted the dealership, and been told the car is ready!!!!!!! It remains to be seen if this repair actually fixes the problem. Only time and driving and comparing performance will tell.

More later, after I have had time to see if there is a change in the cars performance.

there is also a TSB for the 1.4d due to increasing oil level, it results in a new engine

I ended up selling the thing.

Thing is I have had a fair few Yaris D4Ds in the past without issue but they were all the older 5 Speed non DPF models

Sorry to hear that :(

I really hope they think up an alternative to DPFs and most of the other emissions control crap that modern diesels have to put up with as they have been steadily making diesels less economical, less reliable and in the grand scheme of things, more polluting due to the problems!

This sort of thing is a big part of the reason why I bought another Mk1; Everyone thought I was silly not to get a Mk2 but whenever I read these threads it makes me feel like I made the right decision!

• Like 1

This sort of thing is a big part of the reason why I bought another Mk1; Everyone thought I was silly not to get a Mk2 but whenever I read these threads it makes me feel like I made the right decision!

The Mk2 didn't get DPFd for several years (2010 I think I've seen said), so you could have had one without the 'problem' filter.

Ahh, wait, so it's only on the 6-speed D4D's!

Ahh, wait, so it's only on the 6-speed D4D's!

I don't know for sure but sounds very likely. The 6 box came late in the life and might well have been part of the same 'tech-refresh' that introduced the DPF.

Ours is a late 2008 car with a 5 sp box and (AFAIK) no DPF.

• 2 months later...

I'm now on my 5 th tank of fuel since the DPF & oil degradation sensor was chaged.

General MPG has improved by close to 10%, getting 560 ish per tank, computer average is around 70 mpg (this is I think pessimistic, calculation seem to show more like 72).

Most importantly the interval between DPF regens has changed dramatically. When I stated to complain, the frequency had increased to around 200 miles between events , from the original (I thought) 350.

Now, the first regen interval was about 400 miles, then 493; 498; 450. On the current tank, I have passed the 400 mile mark since the last on.

The whole problem, DPF and oil in the sump seems to have been cured - but it took some finding, initially having difficulty getting the dealership to believe I had a real problem!

Last week, I was told they had another car the same age with the same problem! At least the * may know where to look!

Hope this helps someone else!

Stuart 303,

Which garage did you take to solve your problem.

I have taken mine to Burton upon trent and they are useless. Avoid! They did do anything with it. The car was taken to Birmingham dealer again it was useless. They all said he car regenerate perfectly. The problem I have is the as the problem you stated. I get the regeneration every 60 to 75 miles.

Today I have taken the dpf filter to jet wash and clean with liquid to see it helps.

I will report back later on today.

Shouldn't be regenerating that often unless you're doing lots of short journeys and never allowing the thing to warm up. If that's the case, you should probably reconsider using a diesel.

Just as a matter of interest, how are you cleaning your DPF?

Stuart 303,

Which garage did you take to solve your problem.

I have taken mine to Burton upon trent and they are useless. Avoid! They did do anything with it. The car was taken to Birmingham dealer again it was useless. They all said he car regenerate perfectly. The problem I have is the as the problem you stated. I get the regeneration every 60 to 75 miles.

Today I have taken the dpf filter to jet wash and clean with liquid to see it helps.

I will report back later on today.

You haven't said whether you're getting increased oil levels/diesel in the oil - if not, it may not be the same issue.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links