Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Air Con Problem

pramsbottom

Hi all,

my avensis 2.2 tspirit on a 55 plate has developed a problem with the aircon.

symptoms are:

you turn air con on set temp and it starts, cold air comes out. it can run for 5-15 mins and then you will notice air warming up from vents as if aircon has been switched off but lights still on and if you turn aircon off and back on again it starts cold again and that can go anywhere for 5-15 mins before same again.

any ideas

peter

it must be a leak then as it was regassed 2 weeks ago

Was it alright immediately after re-gassing though?

If it was then, yes, it's probably a leak. Did whoever re-gassed check the efficiency afterwards? Did they add any dye to indicate any leaks?

Is it an automatic or manual a/c system? If it's automatic then there could be a fault with the control system.

It was fine after regas but this has got worse over last week, don't know what they did with regards to dye or checks, it's got climate control but this problem occurs on manual or auto, I'll have to get a garage to perform a leak test then.

Hi all,

my avensis 2.2 tspirit on a 55 plate has developed a problem with the aircon.

symptoms are:

you turn air con on set temp and it starts, cold air comes out. it can run for 5-15 mins and then you will notice air warming up from vents as if aircon has been switched off but lights still on and if you turn aircon off and back on again it starts cold again and that can go anywhere for 5-15 mins before same again.

any ideas

peter

ok Peter

the problem is the system has an air inside with gas. What is goinig on physically --- the compressor does the job but after throttle valve this air moisture is being frozen blocking gas passing thru throttle valve --- this leads to an internal system pressur increasing with respecting alarm on the dash board. Firstly -- you have to have full sistem vacuumed to find where is the possible air suction and after that if all is ok then to recharge system again.

regards/Igor

• 2 weeks later...

Well finally got an aircon guy out this week, typically as it wasn't to hot today the fault wasn't showing itself he checked the make up of gas in system and confirmed no air in system, compressor works ok, only thing he could come up with was it was over gassed so he evacuated the system and refilled to spec, we will wait and see

My 2005 Avensis had a leak on the HP pipe which is a common fault. There is tight bend under the Battery which can stress the pipe and it will show by dripping onto the top of the engine undercover

Could it just be the fact that the temp stat is reading the temp set on the climate controls ? Which means that when the air goes warm it is knocking its self off till the temp rises in the car ? And when the air temp rises the aircon starts working again to cool down to temp selected ? Just a thought because I've got the same spec car as you and this is what mine does

Still not working properly on climate control or manual even with temp set to low which should keep it on permanently it stops, got to get air con guy back out. Any other ideas anyone!!

you still have an air diluted in 134a fluid -- nothing more

the system is required to be vacuumed and re-charged again

The system was vacuumed and regased and then he checked and there was 100pc refrig no air in system he also checked content before vacuum and there was no air

the compressor hassafety system to disengage a clutch in case of suction pressure rises up

you'd careffully instept throttle valve adjusting to be sure it works. in other words - if its throttle orifice is not closed by needle then no boiling effect og 134a is available and the compressor just transfer gas belong to the system -- please also change filter ans inspect condition of an evaporator. besides - inspect gas radiator ribs if they pass an air thu it.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links