Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Power Steering Problem

tcawley

Hi guys,

Had a problem with my power steering today on my 2006 1.4 d4d corolla hatchback.

In the middle of a three point turn my power steering died and the P/S light lit up on the dash. I pulled in to the side of the road, popped the bonnet and looked under the car but could see nothing wrong.

I proceeded to drive 36km of the way home and stopped for diesel in a local filling station.

I restarted the car before I filled it and the power steering was working again.

It worked for the final 10km home perfectly.

Have ye any ideas as to what could be wrong here?

Thanks,

Tommy

Presume it was a case of the power steering motor overheating, and once it had got back to normal temperature, the power steering assistance returned.

• Like 1

Presume it was a case of the power steering motor overheating, and once it had got back to normal temperature, the power steering assistance returned.

Why would this happen now though. Only 86000 km on the car any it hasn't happened in the last 41000 km that I've owned it :/

It happened during a 3-point turn - was it actually a 3-point turn or was it more difficult with a lot of manouvering?

It happened during a 3-point turn - was it actually a 3-point turn or was it more difficult with a lot of manouvering?

It was actually a three point turn

Doing a search on the forum, people seem to have few issues with the electric power steering on the Corolla. Some isolated instances of the P/S light coming on and the steering getting heavier, but these seem to be one-offs on the whole, which have corrected themselves. Keep an eye on it and if it happens again/keeps happening, get it checked.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

Hi Tommy. I have a corolla 1.4 petrol. A few days back my friend tried to park my car and i noticed he was a bit of an aggressive driver. After i got in i noticed the power steering switched off and my steering was heavy. The steering was in full lock. I switched off and turned back on again and the power steering worked again.

Just today after coming back from work and while i tried to park, it happened again when i turned steering wheel to full left. P/s light came on and my steering was heavy. I am wondering if it occurs everytime i turn full left and weather it occured coz my friend turned the steering wheel too hard. Your case seems similar to mine.

Do you have any idea as it has been over a year and you havent reported anything yet. Would be very helpful.

still happens on occasion but not near as often as it used to. no idea how or why. my mechanic doesn't know either

Thanks tom. I was thinking of taking it to the toyota mechanics. See if they know anything or what their advice will be.

let me know if they find anything. with any bit of luck it'll stop itself :)

I think I realise where the problem might be. This is only a hunch but I find myself right in a number of occassions. lol.

To avoid this problem always park your car with your wheels streight. I found out that this problem occurred when I parked my car with my wheels turned full left of full right. I read online somewhere that this causes the electric motor to over work. So that might be the case that causes the problem.

Hope it helps.

• 1 month later...

OK after more than a month at it, I think i know what has solved the problem. Always park with your wheels streight. You will never has the P/S problem anymore.

Hope this helps..

I was always under the impression that it was not good for ANY power steering system to be turned full lock to lock at a slow speed...ie similar to a three point turn. This was because the stress and strain put on the system at slow speeds is far in excess of normal driving.

• 1 month later...

I also have had this problem Occasionally. I am no expert by the way. The only time its happened is when doing 3 point turn at low speeds and using full lock. When P/S goes steering is too hard. I just turn engine off and restart and then wont get problem again unless I'm in a similar scenario.

• 2 years later...

Just had the power steering light come on when trying to exit from the supermarket. I've got a 2005  1.4 petrol Corolla. The steering went very, very heavy. It was nigh on impossible to steer. Had to pull over, turned off the engine, turned it back on and it was fine. First time anything like this has happened in the 9 years or so that I've owned the car. Bit concerned as I've got a long journey on Tuesday.

@mashk did you park with the steering on full lock or wheels turned to the left or right? thats one of the reason the power steering fails after you turn on. Always park with the wheels straight. Hope this helps. 

• Like 1

I don't remember tbh. Just a little bit paranoid as I've got a long journey on Tuesday. Took it for a drive just now and it was fine. Made sure the wheels were straight when I parked up!

that should be fine. i had that a few times whenever i used to park wiith the wheels pointing at whatever direction i reversed in. the light would come on and become stiff. but since i found out the problem it never occurred to me. Been over a year now. So I guess it wont happen to you either. 

Good luck!

• 3 years later...

Yeah my 06 corrola just done the same thing, I was parallel parking and the ps light came on and the steering went heavy.

I went in my house for 10 minutes, went back out and started her up and voila the ps light turned off and the power steering was fine.

• 2 weeks later...

hi everyone i am new from ireland i have 2 toyotas i have just purchased my second one a 2004 1.4 vvti carolla hatch with the p/s light flashing stays lighting p/s then flashes again but staying on steering is fine otherwise so unsure what the fault maybe any help i greatly appreciate oh and my other is a 1996 toyota celica just saved and working on thanks for all your help eddie.

• 11 months later...

Hey everyone. I was just parking my 2006 1.6 hatchback Corolla and I misjudged the wheel and smashed it really hard when I went to full lock to the right!!! I’ve never done this before and felt really stupid doing it. The steering went so heavy that I couldn’t turn it and the P/S light came on. I thought maybe if I turned it off and restarted that would reset it, and it did. I drove off to find a different spot (and drive it for a few minutes), everything was fine.

What the Hell did I do to it? Did I set off a sensor that thought there was a problem with the steering and turned off the P/S? I’d just driven 65 miles and no problems with anything. I bought the car about 3 weeks ago and hope I haven’t inherited a steering issue 😱

Any ideas? (Obviously I won’t be smashing the steering to full lock again)