Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Losing Coolant

uniquestar

Hi All,

I've been having a problem with my 2007 Rav4 2.2 D4-D (no dcat) for about 6 months now, where on long journeys I lose coolant. I'll lose nothing on my day-to-day commute to work (10 miles, 30 minutes each way). However if I don't check it for a couple of weeks I'll find that I've lost a small amount.

On longer journeys I can lose a lot. i.e. a 100 mile trip a couple of months ago I lost about half the tank each way, and over 440 miles this weekend I put almost 1.5 litres into the tank to keep it around where the word Full is. (I had stopped half way home and had to wait a little while for the engine to cool down a bit, the coolant was at about 1/2 way, topped it up, drove another 100 miles home and the next morning the coolant was below 'Low').

There doesn't appear to be any water in the oil / oil in the water, there's no smoke from my exhaust that I can see and not really any oil consumption that I can notice, so I don't think that it's due to the fault mentioned on the forum requiring a rebuild.

The car went for a Service with Toyota who told me that I was losing coolant from the water pump (I hadn't checked the levels before it went in). I've had the water pump replaced by a local garage as I couldn't afford Toyota's engine out price for this. I have also had the Thermostat and Radiator cap replaced, as the local garage found that excess pressure was building up in the header tank.

It does seem that the pressure is lower since the thermostat and cap have been replaced, however it does seem that coolant is blowing out of the header tank.

Sorry about the essay, but wondering if anyone has any ideas as to what else could be at fault?

Thanks,

Jon.

Hate to say it but the fact that coolant is blowing out of the header tank my money would be on the dreaded head gasket fault!

Hate to say it but the fact that coolant is blowing out of the header tank my money would be on the dreaded head gasket fault!

take it into your local dealer and get them to do a pressure test on the engine

Alex

Thanks, I thought it might be, but had none of the other symptoms, such as oil consumption being a bit high (not losing any that I can see). I don't mind if it's the same fault as covered under the warranty as I'll talk with my local Toyota Dealer to get it done under that.

Just after a bit of info from anyone as to if it could be covered even though I'm not eating oil

Hi Jon, I had the same problem 2 years ago. I found if I left the car over night and came out the next morning it still had pressure in the header tank that smelt of engine gases. The out come was a 3/4 replacement engine. Also I had the clutch replaced at the same time while the engine was out, and only cost me £350 for the clutch parts.

Good luck.

Dave

Thanks Dave,

Just a quick question, did you see any oil loss / white smoke as mentioned in the main topic on this, or was your only symptom the coolant loss too?

Thanks Dave,

Just a quick question, did you see any oil loss / white smoke as mentioned in the main topic on this, or was your only symptom the coolant loss too?

Jon, all I had was coolant blowing out of the over flow nozzle. No white smoke or oil loss. I must say my dealer done a head gasket replacement first, then 2 weeks later called my car back in to do the engine. I understand that they were told off for replacing the gasket and not doing the engine right away. Apparently they shouldn't do any repairs to the engine, just take it out and it goes back to Toyota whole.

Thanks Dave,

I'll give them a call and get it booked in. Is all you paid the £350 for the clutch assembly, everything else under the extended warranty?

Thanks Dave,

I'll give them a call and get it booked in. Is all you paid the £350 for the clutch assembly, everything else under the extended warranty?

Yes, the clutch was fitted while the engine is out as they have to take it off anyway. If you don't do it, it will cost about £1,800.00 I think.

Hi, I've got the exact same problem with my Rav 07 36000miles ftsh. my worry is what are the dealers like with this, am I going to have to fight for a new engine or are they good at accepting that the engine is the cause? Thanks Mike.

I've just spoken to my local Toyota garage. Car is booked in Monday for 'Investigation'. I mentioned the extended warranty, took them a little while to look it up. I did mention that I'd already had the Water Pump, thermostat and radiator cap replaced elsewhere as I couldn't pay their engine-out price for the water pump (that they said was the issue at the last service with them).

They've asked me to bring full service history with me on Monday, and if their investigation finds that it's not related to the extended warranty then it'll cost me £75 for the investigation.

I've just spoken to my local Toyota garage. Car is booked in Monday for 'Investigation'. I mentioned the extended warranty, took them a little while to look it up. I did mention that I'd already had the Water Pump, thermostat and radiator cap replaced elsewhere as I couldn't pay their engine-out price for the water pump (that they said was the issue at the last service with them).

They've asked me to bring full service history with me on Monday, and if their investigation finds that it's not related to the extended warranty then it'll cost me £75 for the investigation.

Jon, If your car has been been serviced by Toyota then THEY should have a record of all the services on computer. But if it has not been serviced by Toyota you could have problems. The person who had my car before me had not had the first service done, but my dealer said this wouldn't be an issue. As I said earlier if they find that the head gasket has gone then you should have at least a 3/4 engine. The car must be under 7 years old and/or 118,000 miles, if I am wrong someone will come along and correct me.

Thanks, before I bought it a lot of the service had not been done by a Toyota Dealer, however they did the last service so I'll take along all I have.

Car need not have full TOYOTA service history, but must have been serviced at proper intervals by registered buisnesses as I unnerstaun it. Also, oil consumption is not always hand in hand with blown gasket instances....come in Oor Charlie and link our friends to your postings. Sounds like another two engines to be replaced.

Hi, made the phone call to the dealer and its booked in for 4 days, but they'll have to do some tests and didn't admit to knowing of the engine issues, but then I wouldn't expect them to . So far its top marks to the dealer and Toyota. I'll post the outcome.

The engine issues that affect the 2AD engine can manifest in several ways.. Loss of coolant is one of the big pointers and will almost certainly mean a replacement engine..

The Dealers will fit a new clutch if you ask them to and charge for just the parts (Circa £300 with discount ASK !) doing the clutch as a separate entity would cost 100 quid..

Hi All,

I've been having a problem with my 2007 Rav4 2.2 D4-D (no dcat) for about 6 months now, where on long journeys I lose coolant. I'll lose nothing on my day-to-day commute to work (10 miles, 30 minutes each way). However if I don't check it for a couple of weeks I'll find that I've lost a small amount.

On longer journeys I can lose a lot. i.e. a 100 mile trip a couple of months ago I lost about half the tank each way, and over 440 miles this weekend I put almost 1.5 litres into the tank to keep it around where the word Full is. (I had stopped half way home and had to wait a little while for the engine to cool down a bit, the coolant was at about 1/2 way, topped it up, drove another 100 miles home and the next morning the coolant was below 'Low').

There doesn't appear to be any water in the oil / oil in the water, there's no smoke from my exhaust that I can see and not really any oil consumption that I can notice, so I don't think that it's due to the fault mentioned on the forum requiring a rebuild.

The car went for a Service with Toyota who told me that I was losing coolant from the water pump (I hadn't checked the levels before it went in). I've had the water pump replaced by a local garage as I couldn't afford Toyota's engine out price for this. I have also had the Thermostat and Radiator cap replaced, as the local garage found that excess pressure was building up in the header tank.

It does seem that the pressure is lower since the thermostat and cap have been replaced, however it does seem that coolant is blowing out of the header tank.

Sorry about the essay, but wondering if anyone has any ideas as to what else could be at fault?

Thanks,

Jon.

- collant expansion tank lid seal ring falure;

- issue with cyl head gasket;

- leaky water pump;

- thermostat.

regards

Car need not have full TOYOTA service history, but must have been serviced at proper intervals by registered buisnesses as I unnerstaun it. Also, oil consumption is not always hand in hand with blown gasket instances....come in Oor Charlie and link our friends to your postings. Sounds like another two engines to be replaced.

Link as requested..

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/132178-charliefarlies-guide-to-the-toyota-2ad-diesel-engine-and-its-issues/

Its a wee bit annoying when dealers charge for the investigation or suggest a charge into looking at what is a hugely common problem..

Now Im not a betting man but I will in this case have a large wager on the "Investigation" will reveal that the head gasket has indeed gone and WILL be covered by the comprehensive warranty ..

So long as the car has had decent service history the as Kev says it will be just fine.. This does indeed not have to be dealer history.. So long as there are stamps in the book you will be just fine.

Any specific questions just ask.. We collectively have been round this roundabout a few times now...

So, My car has been with Mr. T since 8am, (7:30 Hrs ago). and I've heard nothing from them. I called an hour and a half ago and was told it was still going through diagnostics, they didn't have a report for me yet and would call when they had something.

I've only agreed so far to a £75 investigation charge, which seems less than an hour's labour with them, so just wondering what it taking so long.

Maybe they've found it is covered under the warranty and waiting for confirmation from someone higher that they can do the work?

Overloading with updates but:

The garage have told me that they are not sure what the problem is, but they have submitted all paperwork to Toyota and will call me in the morning.

I am hoping that they think it's covered under the extended warranty, but want to check with Toyota before they tell me. Can anyone else who has been through this tell me if it sounds about right?

Nobody know fur sure, Jon min......look at it as positive they have not told you to pick up yer car.......they will be awaiting nod from Toyota GB, and will give you no decision off their own wicket until then. I will however wish you happy new engine........every wan I have said this to got a new engine.

Side Kick Kev

Thanks Kev. Will keep you all updated.

So glad I found this forum!

He (big Kev) said it about mine and he was right. Fingers crossed for you.

No doubt at all the car needs an engine, I think it must be covered as they would have told you to come and lift the car - fingers crossed for you

So, My car has been with Mr. T since 8am, (7:30 Hrs ago). and I've heard nothing from them. I called an hour and a half ago and was told it was still going through diagnostics, they didn't have a report for me yet and would call when they had something.

I've only agreed so far to a £75 investigation charge, which seems less than an hour's labour with them, so just wondering what it taking so long.

Maybe they've found it is covered under the warranty and waiting for confirmation from someone higher that they can do the work?

Large bet says they know exactly what the problem is.....

Some dealers communicate very well indeed and will sort the problem within an hour or three where we have been told many times some dealers say they are not even aware of what is a VERY common problem...

I will be majorly surprised if the outcome is anything other than a replacement engine...