Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Losing Coolant

uniquestar

I've called Mr. T again this morning, and they have now said that they are "In talks with Toyota to get me a new engine". That's all the details they would give me for now, but hoping for a call back shortly....

• Like 1

Just has a call from them. Toyota have approved repair under warranty. I will get a "partial engine rebuild" and it's going to take 8 days.

Not too sure, they only said partial rebuild on the phone.

This can only be what Toyota call the 3/4 engine.

Unless there has been a huge policy shift in dealing with this issue...

What somewhat concerns me is the regard your dealer is treating you with.. This can only dilute the fantastic way the company Toyota have in dealing with the engine problems..

Your dealer could have and should have sorted your questions within hours of asking Toyota to rubber stamp the job which we here on this forum know to be a very straightforward process...

Consider paying for the clutch parts which are always fitted free of labour costs simply because there is no extra labour charges due to no extra labour needed.. Budget circa £300 for this.

I mention this as if your dealer carries on as they have been they will be to remiss to ask if you would like the clutch replaced...

Engine changes are normally completed in 2 days possibly 3 at the most.. Dealers are allowed 14 hours to complete the job and most can do it in half that time.. 8 Days ???

• Like 1

Cannot agree further with Charlie above.......being the hot headed Gael what I am, I would get the service manager aside and tell him you intend to take the job elsewhere......I bet his uppity attitude would change. His dealership gets well paid for this, and any dealer would normally treat you with some civility. You are also due a proper and concise explanation of what they are about to do to your far king property, Jon.

I would hate to be the person who had to explain to Toyota GB why the job number had been allocated to another more communicative dealer. I am normally on here almost fighting the dealer's case, so cannot be accused of being a downer on him or them.

8 days.....whit? A respray too.....?

• Like 1

The Dealer I used not only treated me with civility I was treated like a very very valued customer !

I was well informed of the whole process and was updated within hours of the information being submitted to Toyota... I was offered the fitment of the clutch (Which I already knew about) at cost of parts only and even managed a healthy discount.. I was provided with a courtesy car and informed the job would take 2 days maximum.. It was as promised 2 days later I had the call to collect the car..

I would now happily use this dealer in the future.. No wait a second I will ONLY use this dealer in the future..

We have heard so many variables over the last few years about how we the customers are treated..

Why not go into the dealers and ask them to look at this thread ?

As other have said. The dealers get paid for doing the job. There was a slight supply issue at one point and it was taking around a week to get the engine shipped in but that seems to have been sorted now.

Alex

8 days??? My Lexus IS220d had its engine replaced a few weeks ago and I got a new 3/4 engine and it barely took 2 days!

You will need it if they rebuild it. It is rarely successful.

Is it me or is this forum playing up again? Only about 30% of the posts don't hang up for me at the moment.

So, may car has been with Currie Motors in Isleworth since last Monday (12th Aug). They're pretty crap at giving me any details, however I decided to leave the car there as at least the work is being done under the goodwill Warranty and after a few other bits that have happened this week I'm not in for a fight with anyone.

Last week they told me that the car should be ready by tomorrow, however the garage is not easy for me to get to, especially as I currently don't have a car. (I decided not to opt for a courtesy car as at first it was just going to be an investigation, so I borrowed my Mother's car as she was on holiday, however she has now come back and has taken her car back and the garage tell me that they do not have any courtesy cars available :(. ) so I will only be able to pick the car up the day after it is ready when they open as they are not too far from a Bus route (still 40ish minutes on the bus and then a 20 minute walk)

I've got 250 miles to do on Thursday night (assuming that I get the car back in time), and knowing that my car needs 2 new tyres, I thought I would call them and find out how much it would be for them to fit the tyres for me. The moment the guy who I have been dealing with heard my name, he took the call and said "It's still in progress". I asked about the 2 tyres and was told "I will get a price for you and call you back".

So not too happy with them, and will have words if and when I get a call back from them.

After this, I will get all my servicing done by Toyota, however not at this garage, which means that I will be looking for another Toyota service centre in the SW London area.

Sorry Jon......post 32........"take yer custom elsewhere"........nae coutesy cars....... nae information forthcoming......presuming you are phoning to expedite, when actually phoning to spend more money on tyres, probably uncivil with it. See that rod ye made......stop hitting yourself with it........

Thanks Kev, they've just told me that they've finished the work, and just want to do a "Cold start Test" on it, which they have to wait overnight for, it whould be ready at around 11am Tomorrow. What a pity that I don't have a car, and have to work all day so I cannot get it during the day, will have to wait until Thursday morning.

They did tell me that apparently my front brakes are 70% corroded, and would I like them changed at £350, and that they think I need 3 new Tyres at a cost of £160/corner. I was slightly amused by the front brakes being that bad, as they had it for a service 6 months ago and mentioned nothing of the front brakes.

I'm looking forward to getting it back, finding out exactly what they've done and taking it elsewhere in the future :)

• Like 1

Now yer talking mate......get an indie to check the brakes, or even better, a better Toyota dealer who talks to you. Besta luck wih new engine.......no need to run it in, just change up early and vary your speed on motorways.

Tyres . . . Black circles .. .if they don't match the price (Currently £136 Fitted) go elsewhere. . . .Seriously Go elsewhere

• Like 1

So, car is all ready and waiting to be picked up. It seems as though the guy I've been dealing with is just Front of House (Not used to dealing with main dealers, usually just my local indie where the mechanic is the one who answers the phone!).

He's said that the work that was done was a partial new engine all covered by Toyota GB.

I think I owe a few of you a couple of pints for this, as without this forum I'd be a tad out of pocket! If you're ever down Heathrow way, let me know!

Good and fair result ......

Yep, The wife has been and picked it up. Told us that we have to check the oil daily (didn't say how long for!), run it in as though it's a new engine being careful with at, and ahve given us a new engine number to advise the DVLA of. If I get any issue with the Oil, then I should take it straight back to them.

Thanks again to you all for your help!

Any new engine can use a bit of oil, check it regularly up to 500 miles or so

Yes you must advise the DVLA of the new engine number

Kingo :thumbsup:

So, I've just jumped back in my Rav 4, and then engine seems to be nice and smooth, plenty of oil (although it seems quit thin & difficult to see on the dipstick, so I thought it was bone dry to begin with!! minor panic there).

Not all good however, as it was immediately obvious that the steering is not aligned. Wheel is about 20 degrees out counterclockwise to be going straight. Not sure how they would have managed this with swapping out the engine, but unfortunately I do not have time to take it back before I go away tomorrow night so will have to take it locally to be aligned. Not happy about that to say the least....

Hi everyone, an update on my Rav, sadly its not the same good news as Uniquestar had. The dealer has had the car for two days and they can't find any leaks, cause or sign of it pumping out from the header tank. They will set water and oil levels and I'm to keep check over 600 miles, I explained I've kept check for 35000 miles and not a drop of oil was ever needed or any water, even when the two waterpumps that its had replaced have had slight leaks, but that on a 400 mile trip it all but emptied the header tank and on 5 mile trips it leaks about 15ml out of the overflow. I'll keep you all updated as and when I have any news. Awfull feeling thinking that I'll have to sell it on when it reaches 7 years old or face a bill thats about half the value of the car, as we love everything about it. Thanks Mike.