Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Help Please! Avensis Won't Start, Not Battery

floozy666

hi - I'm new to this forum but hoping that someone may be able to help. Used my car (Avensis T Spirit Tourer 2003) last night, no problem. Went to go out this morning, car won't turn over at all, nothing! All dashboard lights as normal but when you turn the key nothing at all, no clicks, nothing. Tried jump starting it, same result, nothing. Does anyone have any ideas at all. Tried both my normal key, the spare AND the master key but still nothing. Car is auto, tried starting in Park and Neutral.

thanks in advance to anyone that can help

Sharon

It would probably be worth checking your fuses as a first step.

Sounds like it could be an immobiliser problem,do you have a spare key at all could try that.

If the fault was just an immobiliser issue the car would still crank but not fire as the immobiliser only cuts the fuel supply. I would suggest either the high amp starter fuse has blown or the starter has seized. Or as it is a auto the transmission neutral switch might be at fault

Check the connections in the starting/charging circuit,And I mean take hold of the contacts and physical try and move them to test how secure they are.

I remember I had a Cavalier (rare mk2 Calibre,iovely car.lol) that was doing the exact same except it'd be fine for a day or two then just go dead like with yours.

I'd jump out,crack the bonnet open and start checking for the obvious signs corroded or hot Battery terminals.If the contacts at the solenoid were secure.Then take a screwdriver and bridge the contacts quickly see if it sparks to see if the powers getting to the starter but it was dead.

Obviously,during my rooting about I unknowingly moved the problem contact remaking the circuit but it annoyed me to hell cos i was fixing it but i didnt know how.

It took me about a week or so to trace the problem down to the main feed where it plugged into the alternator,it was loose and not contacting properly.

Try the old screwdriver across the solenoid terminals see if it sparks then check the main feeds and earths in the entire starting/charging etc.

Good luck :)

I have to say it sounds more like your starter motor isn't turning the engine. In other words starter is dead. I have heard of people with this issue push the car down the road and get a start that way but plz don't try it if your car is automAtic in that case have it towed with front wheels off the road or on a flat bed lorry. Starter jobs don't cost much some car electricians Can even give you a discount if you hand them ur faulty starter as they fix it and sell it on. Anyways I always pray that I don't have to spend money I cars fixing them. Good luck

Regards,

Waqar

That is the familiar case of the ignition switch. I have had this and the switch cost £40-£50. It is a known Toyota fault and effects most models.

The switch is located in the steering cowling at the end of the ignition barrel.

I changed mine in a record 15 minutes from the first screw to the last!

If buying non-genuine Toyota, make sure the pin-outs are the same, because I had that problem and had to return the part. Installed a genuine Toyota switch. Check the legends stamped on the new switch matches the old switch.

If my post from the past still exists, search ignition switch and you may find pictures too.

Konrad

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links