Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Pre Purchase Queries - Spare Wheel And Seats

andyfr

Hi

My wife is due to change her car soon and we are seriously considering a new Auris. We will be going for the diesel model in Active spec as it's only a second car. They didn't have a new model diesel so we went for a test drive in the old model diesel and then in a new model petrol but not in the spec we want as they always seem to have the top of the range as demos.

I know that it's possible to get a space saver spare wheel but will a full size wheel and tyre fit in the spare wheel well in the boot?

With the Active model there is conflicting information about whether the front seats have height adjustment or not. In the brochure it says they don't but on the Toyota web site it says they do. I emailed Toyota and they said they don't but the dealer thought that they did. Can anyone confirm one way or the other please?

Thanks in advance. :)

The brochure actually states that the grades above Active have 'driver and passenger seat height adjuster'. I would have thought that in the Active the driver's seat would have height adjustment, but the passenger seat wouldn't.

I would have thought so also but on the Toyota website it's the same for all grades. I'm hoping that someone on the forum has an Active.

I also can't decide between the active and the icon -- i'm still not sure if fogs can be fitted to the active.

also does anyone know if the spare wheel will be standard with the auris, as with the rav4, from july orders onwards?

The information from the dealer is that no spare at all is available for the new model. What they do is order the space saver for the old model as an accessory at £250. That's why I hope that it's possible to get a full size wheel and tyre in the wheel well.

Devon Aygo may be able to answer your queries on the height adjustable seats, spare wheel and foglights.

I know a full-size spare does not fit into the boot-well in the older Auris, but can't honestly comment on the new one. I very much doubt that it will. The trend is towards a slimline spare or a tube of gloop for emergencies, so can't see why Toyota would make room for a full-size spare.

I think you are probably right. My thought was that we could get a set of winter wheels and tyres and put one in the boot as a spare.

That's exactly what I've done. As I do quite a few miles commuting & don't want to faff around with a gloop tube, I have a full size spare in the boot.

A full size spare can be fitted but it means only the upper boot floor can be used as the full size wheel is too high for the lower floor, a space saver will fit below the lower floor. At present Toyota are not including a spare wheel but you can purchase a specific space saver spare wheel kit for a new Auris. ( kit includes wheel, tyre, mountings and tool kit incl jack.

Fogs and bluetooth can be fitted to an active, but Touch or Touch and go cannot neither can a camera. ( not Toyota fitted, non genuine maybe )

Active does have a height adjustable drivers seat.

• Like 1

Thanks Lee.

you can purchase a specific space saver spare wheel kit for a new Auris. ( kit includes wheel, tyre, mountings and tool kit incl jack.

Does this kit have a part number & cost? When I bought my Auris in April I asked the dealer about a spare and they didn't have a clue.

you can purchase a specific space saver spare wheel kit for a new Auris. ( kit includes wheel, tyre, mountings and tool kit incl jack.

Does this kit have a part number & cost? When I bought my Auris in April I asked the dealer about a spare and they didn't have a clue.

I will check and come back to you, Auris hybrid has a different ( shallower ) boot floor than non hybrid Auris

Thanks for the information Lee. You mention upper and lower boot floor, is that what is referred to as Dual-level deckboard? If so according to the Toyota website then the Active doesn't have that. Would that mean it would be possible to fit a full size spare?

Cheers

Yeah basically the boot has 2 false floors, the first one covers the emergency kit and an imprint that you could fit a space saver in (or sit a real tyre in), the second one is about (real guess here) 10-20cm higher and is the basis for the rest of the boot.

Tbh I have yet to see an Auris Active in the flesh, if it does not have the dual level deck board this would cause issues as a full sized wheel will not fit under lower floor so you need the upper level deck to give a flat boot floor.

I will have to look on the parts catalogue to see if there is any way of creating a level lower floor when a full sized Shell is fitted.

Thanks guys, you are being really helpful.

When I was speaking to the dealer he said that the Auris comes with a jack and wheel brace anyway whether it has a spare wheel or not which surprised me. Is that not the case?

At present Toyota are not including a spare wheel but you can purchase a specific space saver spare wheel kit for a new Auris. ( kit includes wheel, tyre, mountings and tool kit incl jack.

Here you go, took a picture of whats under my second floor.

Got a jack on the left and all the bits that go with it, at top you got one of the wrenches which will probably break the first time you use it (this has happened to me twice now so i brought my own heavy duty one).

In the middle is your compressor and on the right is your sealant, this is all kept inside a foam casing which can be lifted out and as you can probably gather from the shape of the foam insert, it contains an imprint that would fit a tyre

post-133201-0-83016800-1376841902_thumb.

• Like 1

Cheers Kevin. That's really good news. Should be able to get a spare wheel and tyre from that well know auction site. I wonder if the spacesavers from other Toyota models fit.

Space saver spare for the Auris here (Toyota dealer's eBay site) - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TOYOTA-AURIS-GENUINE-17-STEEL-SPACE-SAVER-SPARE-WHEEL-/350822626782

Probably from the first generation but should be OK.

Obtaining a space saver tyre may be an issue, but see - http://www.thetyreworkshop.co.uk/index.php?route=product/category&path=47_84

• Like 1

The bracket for the spare wheel retaining bolt is probably beneath the polystyrene moulding that holds the tyre repair kit. Should be able to buy the retaining bolt and collar from your Toyota dealer

Thanks very much Mike. I had seen that one on eBay, we do go to Sheffield a few times a year so quite handy.

According to Parts King there will be a space saver spare available for the new Rav4 in 2014.

The limiting factor appears to be that, for whatever reason, tyre companies only make space saver tyres once or twice a year.

Another TOC member who has recently ordered a Yaris, had ordered a space saver spare from his dealer, but the dealer was having difficulty getting the space saver tyre.

Hence my inclusion of the link to the tyre supplier site.

Hope this helps.