Toyota Owners Club - Toyota Forum Messages

Review Your Toyota

Help others when it comes to buying a car like yours, review your Toyota now

AdBlock Warning

Parts of this website do not function properly with AdBlock enabled on your device. To get the best user experience on our website, please disable Adblock for this website (domain) on your browser.

Dasbob

Chips In Paint Already!

11 posts in this topic

Hello,

Well i had my car since mid June and i was aware of a chip in the windscreen and 2 bits on the paint work on the drivers side... but today cleaning my car i discovered about a dozen little white chips in the paint!

i know whats caused it, the week i got my car they decided to resurface sections of the 16 mile road i travel to work each day...you know the great way they do it where the road is covered in loose gravel, this meant weeks of constant pebble dashing to my car and surprisingly all the chips are on the drivers side....

any way no point crying over spilt milk, i want to patch it up and i am looking for advice. I have two questions... 1) what is my paint code? i tried searching for it on the drivers side door as indicated in every guide on the net, but i can not find it. I have an Island Blue car...which i found the code 8T7 on some obscure website, but no other websites list island blue...and 8T7 brings up "blue streak"... so i just want to be sure (it does look like it)

question 2) where is the best place to get a chip repair kit, i found "Chipex" and another company (paint repair or something, any way i dropped them after seeing a million bad reviews about how they dont send the stuff).

Any help as always, much appreciated!

Try sending Parts King (Kingo) a personal message. Not sure whether Toyota are moving over entirely to stickerfix, but Parts King will know whether touch up paint will be available in your colour

1 person likes this

Get the touch up paint pot from your dealer. I was able to get that and it did a great job. Last time I had the stickerfix was about maybe 7 or 8 years ago on the first Yaris. The paint code is on the VIN plate, mines was inside the boot lid so maybe try looking there.

1 person likes this

I sent parts king a message... and i can confirm it is 8T7. After Lorna said hers was in the boot i had a rummage around and found it was on the passenger side column (i had checked the door but missed the inside column doh!) ... so yes it is this "Blue streak" aka Island blue AKA 8T7.

I guess the next question is....do i use Toyotas paint or some one elses? which is best?

I'd stick with Toyota's - you should be sure of an exact colour match that way.

1 person likes this

Right o, saw the paints in their today when i went to order my mats, in hind sight... will give them a ring monday, cheers!

NEVER use a colour name to order paint, it is the paint CODE you need, not the colour name

8T7 is the code you need, PM sent

Kingo :thumbsup:

1 person likes this

My town has 3 main routes in & out, so naturally, they started chipping all 3, the same day I collected my new car.

So far, I have escaped reasonably lightly, with a couple of gloss coat chips on drivers side front & mirror.

However the drivers side window has 2 approx 2" long scratches in the glass, really weird (and annoying).

G...

Cheers kingo!, thanks for confirming the code, i got your pm this morning but i rang my local branch around the corner from where i work and they getting it to me along with my mats

geo, i am glad i am not the only one who has suffered, i think we should be able to claim a new paint job against the council for doing such shoddy work

Cheers kingo!, thanks for confirming the code, i got your pm this morning but i rang my local branch around the corner from where i work and they getting it to me along with my mats

geo, i am glad i am not the only one who has suffered, i think we should be able to claim a new paint job against the council for doing such shoddy work

I know your suffering I live in the country and they resealed the road which we live on so no avoiding it and every time we drive up it and another car drives down I stop my car to lightening impact, and my wife makes fun of me !Removed! women hey. Was thinking of leaving the car at a farmers yard up the road till the stone had gone or cleaned up.

I have found Sonax coloured polish and chipstick good at disguising the small chips. The chipstick with Turtles Colour Magic is a bit dark and the Sonax chipstick a bit light but it darkens with the polish. Wear gloves the polish stains. It is a pity nobody sells a selection of coloured "chipsticks" without the polish. I got touch up from my dealer when it was delivered but it needs to be a big chip and as yet these are just gravel pits. Its the stuff they use in the winter and do not sweep up after.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• My Red Aygo (Almost Done)
      By Rolexas
      Hi. Want to share some pictures of my 2006 Aygo. Bought as standard, invested about 1500 pounds into it to look like this. Its not over yet, planning to respray rear brake drum in black and front calipers in red and thinking about some decals on the sides. Maybe it will be helpful for others who also planning to do some changes on their aygo's.

Lenso 15" Samurai D1R alloys with 195/45/15 tyres ~ £630.
      Rear brake drums and calipers respray ~ £35 if you buy paint yourself, i was quoted £80 to do it at garage.
      Windows tinted for £90 in lime black 5%

Spoiler itself = £70 on ebay
      Roof, mirrors respray in black+spoiler respray & fitting = £400

seat covers = £47
      custom car mats ~ £40-50
      resprayed rev counted and fan rings myself with the can of red paint. Mixed the right paint at halfords for £17. You just need to say the color code and wait.
      Steering wheel cover £10 (now i took it away coz it was slightly too big).

Audio speakers Pioneer TS-g1021i 4" and TS-g1022i 4" (you can choose any brand for any price but the size that matters here. If you buy bigger ones than 4" you may find it difficult to install. To be honest the sound quality is better but still poor because the tiny speakers can't do any BOOM BOOM stuff. For base you may need to look for under seat subwoofer or one in a back).
      Toyota Seat belt pads from amazon
      http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_16/276-6890019-5112436?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=toyota%20seat%20belt%20pads&sprefix=toyota+seat+belt%2Caps%2C273&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Atoyota%20seat%20belt%20pads
      Gear knob and new red leather cover. Leather cover takes so time to change because you need to take the plastic frame carefuly and sew the new one on (my wife helped with this one :D )
      For more extreme gear knob fans i would recommend to look for these ones and if you buy please post some pictures because i am thinking about one myself but its not a priority at the moment.
      http://customredback.com/
      Peek a boo sticker £1.89 :D
      Tiny areal with red tip :)

More upgrades below
    • How Can I Find Out The Paint Code For My Car
      By TechnoZir
      i have a black toyota corolla and looking for some touch up paint. but need to know the code first.
      how can i find it?
      thanks
    • Grit Spots Showing On Pearl White Paint
      By Dave R.
      I've had my Gen III 2012 Prius from new (since September 12). The last one was black, so I had a change and this time went for the pearl white paint finish.
      I've never really been one for washing the car, but decided that I really ought to look after this one - after all, any stains are likely to show up, and it's a lease car, so I have to pay an insurance excess if there's any damage etc, at the end of the lease..... so it gets cleaned every couple of weeks.
      However - with the car not 6 months and 15,000 miles old, the paintwork on the doors is peppered with lots of tiny black dots. I guess that some are tar spots, but others are more like particles of grit embedded in the paint.
      I'm sure the old black Prius didn't have this problem (you can feel the specks on the door if you wipe down with your hand). Have I just been unlucky and driven through a recently tarred road (not really aware of having done so.... and the speckling seems to be getting worse over time) or is it that the latest paint finishes are very soft and prone to pick up grit?
      Anyone else having a similar problem with the white paint?
      Any suggestions on how to clean these off (without wrecking the paint)?
    • 1996 E10 Pinstripe
      By JingJangJong
      Hi there,
      I drive a 1996 1.6 CDX automatic and it has been repaired after damage to a rear wing. Part of the paint job neccesitated removing part of the pinstripe on the side of the body.
      Was the pinstripe put on as standard or is it the work of a previous owner? My personal preference is to remove the rest of the stripe as I think they look a bit naff, but am slightly concerend that it is being used to mask a scratch or a previous botched paintjob.
      Any advice would be most welcome!
    • Paint Chip On New Toyota Yaris Rs 2012 (Thailand)
      By docjames
      I am a new Toyota Yaris so go easy on me!
      I with my fiancée and mother-in-law to be have just bought a 2012 Toyota Yaris RS. Love it to bits, unfortunately a sharp stone I believe from a truck struck the side of the car and left a very slight chip of the paintwork. Fortunately, it was not on the main bodywork, but on the default body kit (I do not know if that's the technical term for the skirting just below the passenger door but hey).
      I currently live in Thailand and am wondering weather Toyota would sort it, however, it seems such a minor chip with a few surface scratches that it seems easy enough to repair myself. I would imagine Toyota would ask to replace the whole piece of skirting, which does not seem worth it (although I have not checked as yet).
      I have some pictures (see the last two pictures specifically) and the colour details are as follows:
      Colour name: S. White
      Paint Code: 040FE18
      Thanks all
      p.s if anyone knows any members who live in Thailand, I would love to be put in contact as any Yaris owners would be much appreciated.