Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Another Engine Story

Big Kev

Friends are asking me, what exactly is the problem with this engine?.

Warranty company's will I believe be aware if this problem so will adjust the premiums... Whether they would pay out anyway is very debatable ....

Look at the pinned section there is a thread which deals specifically with the 2AD Engine issues....

Would a company like warranty direct look at the Rav4, more importantly, would they pay out if bang bang occurred? .

Highly unlikely!!

Have you ever read the T&C's for off the peg warranties? They are insurance based and an insured part has to fail. Burning oil would be considered as wear and tear IMHO. You MIGHT be lucky and get a payout IF the head gasket failed, but then you are likely to come across a claim limit, a maximum they will pay out per claim, it would be highly unlikely they would pay out for a new engine

Kingo :thumbsup:

Hi All,

Noob to the club but have been reading up on all things Rav 4 before I recently purchased (privately and decided to go for it even with the horror stories as mentioned above) my 56 plate T180 (38K on clock).....literally 4 weeks ago.

Not one to hi-jack thread at all but I have fallen foul of the engine problem....but thankfully unbeknown to me I was covered until 16 Sep 13 (very Lucky me thinks) as this was the date 7 yrs ago when first registered and also under the Toyota Club extended warranty from the previous owner. I actually opted for the further two yrs extended with a local Toyota dealer so was covered either way.

My experience so far; I actually went in to local dealer to have the rear parking sensors fitted as soon as I had bought the car and they did a 37 point check on the vehicle. The only thing they noted was the oil was high and wanted to do the comsuption test so I was to come back in two weeks or 1000miles. This was off their own back and no prompting from myself.

So yesterday it was in for MOT and the oil consump test......Yep, need another engine.

To date I have had a first class service from this Toyota dealership and I feel I am very lucky as I am still covered but I do have some questions in which they probably have already been answered on the many posts (honestly I'm not that lazy).

1. What is swapped/changed on a full engine change (apart from the bleedin' obvious), does this include all ancilleries at the same time e.g timing belt, fuel pumps etc?

2. Actually what unit would they use, a more modern/later spec engine or just uprated machanical parts within the standard case?

3. I've seen someone suggested changing the clutch at the same time. As it has only done 38k at the moment is this worth doing now? Any thing else to change while engine out?

4. Anyone had any issues with the new engines? Or are they much better once swapped?

Thanks for reading this

Cheers

Morgan

It has been covered to death in this and other threads, but basically

New 3/4 engine, block and head, built up and slotted straight in, NO ancilleries like pumps or belts. It is the same engine, but up to date internals to cure the various problems. Clutch is your choice, it is VERY expensive to fit later, depends on its condition now. Some early adopters had some issues, but I think all recent engines have been spot on, we certainly have not had any problems

Kingo :thumbsup:

Kingo,

Cheers, appreciate it has been done to death but trawling through to find every little snippet is a pain but just wanted peace of mind etc...

Once done I'll be in touch about the chip

Regards

• 2 weeks later...

I would appreciate an update by the OP of this thread if possible ? Given the extenuating circumstances ?

Charlie....under Scots Law, it will probably be me that was the OP........LOL.

Me same as Charlie.....how did this pan oot.......?

• Like 2

Charlie - Vehicle still in pieces with another dealership who have been Fab. However it is now a civil case under consumer legislation, not with Toyota GB but.... I am aware of the issues that caused the engine to fail and its connected to carbon clogging and the EGR valve which started way back in Nov last year. I will update again shortly, but am busy trying not to pay £4000 for a new engine...Thanks again.

Cheers Simon... Hope you get it sorted and will look forward to a good outcome !

• 2 weeks later...

Dear All just an update. Vehicle being worked on and time I have raised the now £4000 I should have it back by Oct 15th. During the strip to out the part engine in they now found that the clutch is about to go. A new clutch plus labour is about £1300!! However they are fitting it for £400. I can't think of anything. Else to go wrong in this low mileaged RAV4 with full service history, used by your average family for school, clubs, social and shopping trips. I am exhausted - no pun intended. It's has financially put us in the dark ages. Our story will be told and the buyer beware warning to those thinking of buying one. Legal battle continued re the vehicle damage...have a nice day!

• 3 weeks later...

Good evening... Update for those would like to know. Vehicle back today after nearly 2 months away although I had to raise some funds hence the delay!! Reman engine and new clutch, invoice total £4161. (Total amount paid on the vehicle since Jan 2013 is £6200) The major parts were at cost which I am thankful for however I am still a lot on money out of pocket. I accept the clutch would have failed at some point so swings and..... Toyota GB sent an "expert" to look at the extracted engine who determined that the crankshaft bottom end caused the engine to fail due to the failing injectors causing pressure several months previously?!? They are also eluding to the fact I delayed them being replaced in Nov 2012. Note the engine failed August 2013 having done nearly 6000 miles. When vehicle taken in smoking they mentioned injectors, we asked for quotes and they said should be ok to drive with a injector cleaner for a little longer until we sorted money out for injectors. No one said don't drive your car another foot as your crankshaft will fail err in say about 9 months after driving say 6000 miles after a injector replacement, service and MOT. Yes an injector popped out 3 weeks later, but surely if the crankshaft was that badly damaged surely it would have failed much earlier on...remember this engine was severely clogged with carbon which was not sorted when the injectors were replaced even though it was more than obvious. When the crankshaft failed the replaced injectors, EGR valve and inlet manifold were caked in carbon surely this has more to do with the crankshaft failing. We are fighting on and have attracted interest from a national respected newspaper and their consumer expert. If we fail to prove our suspicions this story must be told regardless, its only fair that owners are aware of potential issues. Toyota dealership that sorted the vehicle were very helpful and negotiated with Toyota to reduce costs and appeared to be quite genuine in their sympathy over our situation. Will we buy another Rav?? No, once this is sold in two years its replacement will from a German or Swedish origin. Finally I would like to thank all those on this forum for your advice and help, you provided guidance and hope in what has been a difficult time.

• Like 1

I am a qualified meachanic and I can't just work out how injectors can cause the crank to fail but I would like to hear their interpretation of the story.

Watch you don't line sombody elses pockets now you have spent all this money. I am not aware that money invested in German or Swedish engineering is any better spent.

Let me firstly say I sympathise with you situation just as I would with anyone who finds themselves with a knackered engine Rav or any other car out there.....

I cannot work out the correlation between injectors and crank.. OK I am no mechanic but over many years I have had engines (Race) built so I have slightly better than an average idea how they work....

Whilst it would be easy to blame the engine failure on the usual woes associated with the 2AD engine this one seems a little different in so much as the crank and bottom end would surely not be closely relevant ??

If your car had blown a gasket or one of the other reported major symptoms and lets remember major symptoms are actually quite rare as cars are more usually diagnosed and sorted before major symptoms then we could quite easily jump to conclusion number one and blame the dealer for not picking the issues up earlier.. But we have already done that have we not .........Mmmm

But where I'm sat it could be your engine has had a very rare major engine failure way down sump side that just could be nothing to do with the usual issues..

Having spoken to you Simon on the phone it is clear you are no mug .... Neither I hope am I. So my friend a word of caution when it comes to litigation..... Even if you are 100% in the right, The half aresed mongrels that are the legal profession will sting you good and hard and still can loose you case and your money.. I've been there...

All I can do is wish you the best for a positive outcome and future mate.. Hopefully you will stick around the forum...

Charlie.

only one thing does a crank, NO OIL. sorry water in cyl causing hydraulicing but that would bent con rod and do the bottom end

B-A

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links